Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Integrated Dwarf Foreman (with functional prototype)  (Read 21384 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Integrated Dwarf Foreman (with functional prototype)
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2012, 04:12:27 am »

My understanding from what Toady wrote re: APIs was that he didn't want to make them because then when he changed the API (as he would be guaranteed to do), people wouldn't use the new version of DF because their cool toys don't work with it. Reading between the lines, Toady doesn't particularly like DF Hack et al. but he tolerates them because there's not much else he can do, plus he's not the sort of person to obfusticate the memory just to stop it.

From that, I can see how it would benefit Toady to add Dwarf Foreman and stuff into the game, but given that we have existing utilities to do it right now, I see no reason why Toady should duplicate effort, especially since I think that the interface of Dwarf Therapist is far better than it could be if it was integrated into Dwarf Fortress. Also, having it separate allows for it to be continually developed alongside all of Toady's work, instead of giving him something else to do on top of everything else.

Right now, in Dwarf Therapist, I can sort by dwarves in several different ways, and then look at a glance what they are assigned to do and what their skills are, as well as if they are idle or not, the windows interface is particularly suited to this.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Beardedwander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2012, 11:41:18 am »

Sockless pretty much said everything I was thinking.

While it would not be amiss if DT was re skinned to fit in with the game a little better overall I would consider this low priority.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »

My understanding from what Toady wrote re: APIs was that he didn't want to make them because then when he changed the API (as he would be guaranteed to do), people wouldn't use the new version of DF because their cool toys don't work with it. Reading between the lines, Toady doesn't particularly like DF Hack et al. but he tolerates them because there's not much else he can do, plus he's not the sort of person to obfusticate the memory just to stop it.

From that, I can see how it would benefit Toady to add Dwarf Foreman and stuff into the game, but given that we have existing utilities to do it right now, I see no reason why Toady should duplicate effort, especially since I think that the interface of Dwarf Therapist is far better than it could be if it was integrated into Dwarf Fortress. Also, having it separate allows for it to be continually developed alongside all of Toady's work, instead of giving him something else to do on top of everything else.

Right now, in Dwarf Therapist, I can sort by dwarves in several different ways, and then look at a glance what they are assigned to do and what their skills are, as well as if they are idle or not, the windows interface is particularly suited to this.

Question: how is what Therapist does better than what DFhack does? You seem to change your mind mid-post, first saying how bad memory hacking is, then saying that everybody should use therapist.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2012, 06:02:40 pm »

I assume sockless is referring to DFhack's other tools.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2012, 08:38:54 pm »

I assume sockless is referring to DFhack's other tools.
Okay, so the cool toy that he uses that needs to be updated before he'll use the new DF version is fine while ones he doesn't use are bad? Allright.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2012, 12:23:14 pm »

Looks fantastic. Hopefully Toady will merge it.

Frizzil

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer, Guitarist, and Squirrel
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2012, 01:08:56 am »

This is awesome, props to the OP for some cutting edge DF interface design.  I'd love so much to see this in the game...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2012, 01:52:02 am »

This is awesome, props to the OP for some cutting edge DF interface design.  I'd love so much to see this in the game...

Ah, but you CAN see it ingame, using the next version of DFhack.

arleneangle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2012, 02:12:20 am »

What you talk about is so interesting.
Every journey begins with the first step
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]