Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kidnapping Non-dateable NPC's  (Read 1218 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kidnapping Non-dateable NPC's
« on: July 06, 2010, 09:27:11 pm »

I was wondering how you would go about capturing guard dogs and genetic monsters (from the genetics lab) anytime I try and kidnap them it says they are too dangerous, even when they are lying pn the floor squirting blood, is there some special unit type or weapon needed to capture them?
Nom nom nom

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Kidnapping Non-dateable NPC's
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »

Guard dogs can be dated if animal rights are L+.  I don't think genetic monsters can be kidnapped.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:52 pm »

The wiki should be fixed, because i claims they can... and as for dating dogs.... canine hero squads scare the sh## outta me now.
Nom nom nom

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:45 am »

What about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:22:51 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:33:20 am »

I've tried that, they are immune to guitars, bite you if you try to talk to them, and the dating option i blacked out.... well maybe not late game when you can marry animals but still.
Nom nom nom

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:25:15 am »

Isn't the primary method of kidnapping the kidnap button? Why would you date people just to kidnap them? *confused*

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:28:33 am »

ya when I try that, even if I have six highly trained guys with ak's and the things alone and bleeding badly on the floor, it still says that all targets are too dangerous.
Nom nom nom

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »

<- Thread read attempt fail.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 04:14:10 pm »

I'm curious about this too. I can't for the life of my kidnap any dangerous conservatives without setting up a date. All my people have at least Martial Arts 3, some 4, some really good physical stats...and it doesn't seem to matter. If I beat up a violent conservative, they just crawl away, never giving me the chance to kidnap.

I'm also having trouble preforming kidnappings even after setting up dates. Same story. Martial Arts 3/4, 10+ on all physical stats, and yet they can't seem to keep a hold of anyone. They all escape back on the way to the Safehouse.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »

I always get punched out by the big timers, unless I'm toting a large weapon which I'm good at, I find pistols and martial just doesn't work that well....
Nom nom nom

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 04:58:44 pm »

Which makes it hard to do seduction kidnappings, as you have to be carrying the weapon when you leave the site for it to be used in the kidnapping. Which means you have to have it equipped when you say, go to the park. De-equip it when you get there, seduce your target, and then re-equip it before you leave.

That seems like too much work. Also, why can't an entire squad get involved in a kidnapping that was scheduled by seduction? Prostitutes do it all the time. They draw you off, and then 4 of their apes jump you for your cash. That's exactly how it should work in LCS too. One person initiates the seduction, but the entire squad is actually involved in the kidnapping. This would help a lot with kidnappings via seduction, and it just makes more intuitive sense to me.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 03:59:58 am »

The way datenapping works is this:
5 bonus points if using a ranged weapon, 2 if using some other weapon, and 0 otherwise (skill has no effect)
You have a bonus in (1+bonus) chance of succeeding, regardless of other factors. If the creature is not dangerous*, you have a 14 in 15 chance of succeeding; these two chances happen independently, so datenapping a target that isn't dangerous while you're holding a gun gives you a 98.9% chance of succeeding. These all apply to the new version by the way. If you fail to kidnap, there is a 50% chance that they'll punch you out and you'll go to prison, otherwise they just escape.

Datenapping odds:
WeaponDangerousOdds (Success)
RangedNo98.9
RangedYes83.3
MeleeNo97.8
MeleeYes66.7
NoneNo96.7
NoneYes50.0

*Dangerous enemies are cops, gang units, swat, death squads, soldiers, veterans, hardened veterans and any CCS.

For sitemode kidnapping, you can only kidnap conservatives who aren't tanks (aw), and can only kidnap animals if the animal rights laws are elite liberal. If they have a non-gavel weapon, you can only kidnap them if they have 20 or less blood (I can't remember what the range for blood is, but it isn't a percentage). You get substantial bonuses if you have a "can take hostages" weapon (anything that isn't bare hands, a baseball bat, nightstick, crowbar, molotov, hammer, staff, maul, pitchfork, torch, gavel, cross, guitar or spraycan), including not having to do any rolls whatsoever (otherwise you roll your hand to hand versus their agility) and a longer police response time at the site. Because of the weapon restriction and the agility roll, you can easily kidnap almost any enemy that has an upper spine or neck wound. Fun stuff!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 03:24:07 pm »

Thanks, that's a big help.

So basically, the only important aspects are your weapon and target choice? Seems like there could be more things at work there, I think MA should count for something, as should edged weapons like knives and swords.

Wanderer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 03:21:38 pm »

Guard dogs can be dated if animal rights are L+.  I don't think genetic monsters can be kidnapped.

If animal rights laws are L+ you can kidnap genetic monsters so long as you are carrying a powerful weapon (think AK47). They usually only take a couple turns to turn over to your side with a skilled interrogator, since they tend to have low wisdom and high heart.
I must say I rather enjoyed terrorizing conservatives with my army of purple gorillas named after donkey kong characters.