Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Military Experience

(1/1)

Drakale:
It is currently possible for a dwarf to attain the rank of champion without ever fighting in a real combat, just by chilling in the barrack and maiming all the new recruits with their inhumane(undwarven?) strength. I would like to propose a system similar to Linley's Crawl(or Crawl Stone Soup) where each time a creature is defeated in combat, a certain amount of experience is banked to be used later. This mean that a dwarf could start with a reasonable amount of free banked xp that can be applied to martial training using the same system that exist now, but after a while that bank would be depleted and the training would not be enough anymore.
Should the dwarf fight and win a few battle he would receive a good amount of xp, so he can once again train until he use it up... I would modify the system somewhat so that every dwarf with the military job activated in a radius around a creature death receive a part of the xp, so that champions dont hog all the xp from the new recruits, and it would also make huge dwarven armies taking on a small sqad of goblin earn very little, while a small sqad taking on a goblin fortress would benefit more.This method would also be very useful for adventure mode, because it prevent strangling the same skeletons for hours to gain stats, or throwing stuff at a wall until you get to super high throwing skill...The greatest advantage is that the system would work with minimal modification to existing skill leveling logic, so I do not thing it would be extremely hard to implement. I highly recommend trying out Crawl Stone Soup if you want to see it in action.(its fun too   :D )

Drunken:
I love crawl, it was my big timewaster ascii-tiles game before DF came out. I still play it sometimes.Seconded

Drakale:
Yeah i still play it too, it has in my opinion the best experience system ever devised, it reward the actual action of the player(like DF), and yet is not really abusable in any way by the player. It's really sad that the crawl skill system has not been copied much in other games where it would fit in perfectly...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version