Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Fortress Inventory

(1/2) > >>

Kogan Loloklam:
One of the most annoying things I am coming across is the insane level of useless junk that piles up in my fortress.
At the bottom of my river, inaccessible to any dwarf, there are 7 or 8 full sets of goblin regalia, complete with goblin bones. This stuff has been there for years now.
Outside my fortress for the last year, there is a full trade caravan of elven goods, scattered across the entire upper plain. There is a mix of Goblin and human junk from the human caravan later that year.
All this crap is going to sit there pretty indefinitely, since I cannot afford a group of goblins to sneak in and slaughter my dwarves as they try to grab the junk outside. Therefore, I propose "Enviromental Degradation" of useless junk, where they are removed from the game if they sit in certain environments for long enough, based on their materials.Things in lava should have no time at all, which they do. Things in water should have a much extended time limit but a set time (like cloth goods which have been in the water for forever), while things outdoors should take even longer (especially in dry climates)
But they should eventually go away!On the same side of the coin, these items count as goods that can be stolen from the fortress. How about a flag that if it hasn't been interacted last by a dwarf from the fortress, it isn't listed on actively owned inventory, and have a list of "Unclaimed" in the fortress stocks instead, listing everything that came from slain caravans, rather then cluttering up the "armor" tab?

ikkonoishi:
I found that for the stuff in the river what you can do is build a one tile tunnel to the river near them and build three doors at the end.
Then dig out the last wall tile to expose the doors to the water.Set destroy building on the third door and dwarves will run to remove it. As they run through the door it will open, and the water will interrupt them. The items will be pushed towards the door, and will eventually after a few times land on it. The door will then close and destroy the items utterly.

numerobis:
quote:Originally posted by ikkonoishi:
<STRONG>The door will then close and destroy the items utterly.</STRONG>Whose leg are you trying to pull?  Socks keep the door from shutting.

Kogan Loloklam:
Yea, I'd do that if I wanted to see every dwarf in my fortress drown. Can you imagine? one sock traps the first open, then the next traps the next, then the loincloth for the death of the fortress. Oh, except I haven't ever seen items move from the center of the river from flow through a door anyway...

Drunken:
in the case of submerged items, i can't help noticing that my dwarves often go and stand down in the pond i have full of junk. There seems to be no reason for them to be there but because they can path there, why cant they pick up the items. Environment degradation might be a useful feature, but so might the ability to pick up items out of water

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version