Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Changing Lands - A Roleplaying Epic!  (Read 11908 times)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing Lands - A Roleplaying Epic!
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:48 am »

This is essentially a story-telling exercise that you guys can take part in - it's an idea that's been bugging me for a while.

TURNS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ACTIONS:

SUCCESS:

COMBAT:

CHARACTERS:

CASTES:

CREATION:

SETTING:

That took ages to write up. Feel free to ask any questions you want, or point out any obvious mistakes I have made. Character creation is open!

CHARACTER LIST:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 03:05:26 am by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Lands - An Interactive RP Story-Game
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »

The Trapped one.
Warper.

Wearing a gray uniform of unknown origin. Combat boots.

Bio: Participated in the cross-planar Eye campaign in a special operations group. Due to his actions in fighting a demon, his planar connections were shattered, rendering his time spent isolated in a splint plane. Occasionally, he is able to interact with a world proper. He had given up on affecting his own state, but instead seeks ways to help others.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:05:03 pm »

Nice. That's perfectly fine, and it suits the theme of the eternal risk of just phasing out of existence.

I'd like at least a couple more. There are some set events for this week, and I'm controlling a behind-the-scenes antagonist, but otherwise do what you like.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:38:17 pm »

Name: Joseph Thorne
Race: Empath
Appearance: A fair skinned young man, bearing a thin build, short, brown hair, and a rather pointed chin. He generally wears dark green tunic, breeches, and sandals, often with a straw hat.

Weapons and Armor: Joseph wears no armor. The closes he would have to weapons are some wooden fishing harpoons and fishing nets.

Bio: At a young age, Joseph left the large city of Sanctuary, seeking to relieve the stress put on him and his mind by the sheer concentration of minds he could hear. He spends his time out on the islands, chasing down legends and myths of the so called 'information age'. However, he does like to return to attend Sanctuary Week, and show off the strange relics and artifacts he managed to dig up from time to time.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:09 pm »

Again, almost perfect. You even managed to supply a believable reason as to why he'd want to leave the only safe haven of the continent.

I would suggest he has at least some form of defensive weapon though.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:22:02 pm »

What sort of technology do we have to work with?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:39 pm »

There is a nice mix. No guns, but the very rich have crossbows. Bows, staves swords etc. are also very common, though metal is extremely rare and so only the rich own it, with most things being crafted out of shaped bone or wood. In addition there are a bunch of Artificier (inventor) knick-knacks, everything from swiss army knives to retracting claws. Finally, if you have anything with a history, such as a family heirloom, it can be used as a power source to enhance magic, which is most obvious with Arcanists.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:36:50 pm »

Hmm...no, no heirlooms or knick knacks. If he needs to defend himself, he can use his harpoons like spears or weigh down his opponents with nets.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:47:45 pm »

Thats perfectly fine then.

Also, consider yourself in the reasonably wealthy category - jobs like yours make a lot of money, due to the Arcanists obsession with knowledge and anything of historical value.

Strife, I'm not sure what to make of yours. Could you explain the backstory a bit more, explaining how exactly he fits into the world?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:51:40 pm »

Effectively, the Trapped One got himself trapped out of time. Being stuck in isolation for a few centuries isn't good for the mind. On the rare instances where he ends up in an actual moving time stream, he's got a fair bit of power, but the risk is always present that he'll get stuck in limbo again.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »

This is interesting.. I'm in!

Name: Theodore cairne
Caste: Feral
Height: nearly 6 feet (2 meters right?)
Weight: (I have no idea about the pound measurements, so I'll skip this part for now.)

Normal Appearance: A pale man, slightly taller than avarage, but skinny. His orange eyes seem to be rather odd for some reason one cannot explain. While he do have some hair, it looks unnaturallly red, almost dyed, it is swept backwards and reaches his shoulders.
He seem to be wearing ragged clothes as if he never changed them for years.

Transformed Form: A green-tinted beast with deep-orange eyes glowing in the dark.
Dark red spines covers it's head and are swept backwards and almost reaches it's shoulders.
It's short but wide maw menaces with spiky teeth, and it has claws that look like they could rip apart thick wooden planks.
A nearly flat tail half the creature's own size waves slowly behind it.
It has an aerodynamic form, but resembles a human in many ways.
It's leathery hide is partially covered by hard scales,
are conviniently placed at certain parts of it's agile body, especially along it's back to the tip of it's tail.

Bio: Theodore was an orphan. His mother, who was a local prostitute, died from the birth and he became an orphan. Little is known about his time in the orphanage, but there was this time, where he was found alone in the building, and the brutally savaged bodies of everyone living in the building was found. He quickly fled the city before he was apprehended.
At the recent years, people around the country have gone missing, and later found mudered, or at least parts of them. There are also rumors going around that the strange murders came around when a strange individual visited said place.

Good enough? or shall I edit parts of it?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:56:55 am by Ultimuh »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:15 pm »

Thats ideal. And no-one gives the red tinged hair a second glance - Ferals oft have red-tinged skin, as their transforming requires blood as a reagent, and surplus blood is stored in the body. Same with the spines in the transformed form.

Can you explain a bit more about his particular skill focus though? Just to give an idea ie. agile, armoured, fast, magical (they can use magic, though unreliably).

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:29 pm »

Ok then, but should I edit my post or could you make a character list on your first post?
If the latter, i'll add the skill focus now.

He is able to hide in darkness for some time, and stay quiet, not moving an inch and hold his breath for a very long time, untill he strkes, which he makes a certain sound (enough time to make a warning, but it's unintentional on his part).
Holding his breath can also help him when being submerged under water.
He also have somekind of sixth sence when endangered, so to avoid death at the last milisecond.

Uhm.. can I also add the fact that while in feral form, he is able to climp vertical walls?
(And roofs if he has something to hold onto.)

And one thing I forgot to mention, he has a split personality, which he confirms and embraces.
His normal self is unusually calm, but his other self is impatient and highly violent.
Sometimes he struggles containing his normal self ocasionally (when noone is nearby to hear it) tries to calm down his feral self by talking to it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:27:43 pm by Ultimuh »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:15 pm »

The split personality is again, an obvious problem for Ferals, to varying degrees, so thats fine. Their claws and fangs secrete acid, so they can climb almost anything except glass.

Is supernatural perception and camouflage sound good enough to you?

Once I get one more I'll start up the character list and get going.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »

Sure, those two abilities suit me just fine. :)
But the ability to hold his breath (while feral form) I mentioned is also good? or should I scrap that?
One last thing, he tend to steal clothes when they are worn out enough due to his transformations.
He also sometimes wear clothes from those he have killed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:25:27 pm by Ultimuh »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19