Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218698 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.31.18 version out!)
« Reply #3195 on: January 05, 2011, 11:55:01 pm »

the grayish teal rock seems really out of place in that water.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: January 06, 2011, 12:19:48 am »

I endorse combo swirly water and numbers :D
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: January 06, 2011, 04:04:51 am »

Yeah my reaction was also "argh! demons attacking from the river!" :P

Speaking of rivers, I quite like combo swirly water and numbers?

Also Back to colourful ore:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Woah! That looks nice! :D

And thanks for supporting my nagging ;D
Although I think I have to clarify that my main problem are the ore tiles still inside the walls.
Having a visual indication of value (not using an icon) -that would be great.

Artificer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: January 06, 2011, 06:36:54 am »

Just want to say that apart from having to save my game and switch back to 2D for TTF every time I need to trade (=P not really your fault you got overeager) Ironhand's graphics are always the best!

Please keep it up!

p.s. can we switch smoothed Kimberlite to retain its blue colour please?  Right now it turns from sexy blue to a dull light grey.
... it decimated his will to live. He had only been exposed to the dogs for about 2 minutes real time, but that didn't stop him from forming an everlasting bond of devotion, apparently.
...He also found it relieving to hack other war dogs to death...
You can't have a proper hero without pathos.

Iceco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: January 06, 2011, 09:32:28 am »

Just want to say that apart from having to save my game and switch back to 2D for TTF every time I need to trade (=P not really your fault you got overeager) Ironhand's graphics are always the best!

Please keep it up!

p.s. can we switch smoothed Kimberlite to retain its blue colour please?  Right now it turns from sexy blue to a dull light grey.
Unless I am mistaking, it also looses its blue colour as (unsmoothed) floor and loose rock. It looks identical to the gabbro.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: January 06, 2011, 10:50:18 am »

Adding a visual value indicator will just bring up that whole debate again.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: January 06, 2011, 12:35:24 pm »

Adding a visual value indicator will just bring up that whole debate again.
A visual value indicator does not have to be an icon.
It can be integrated into a natural look, like it's already done with the gems.
No one complains about the gems...
I'm sorry that I'm such a one-trick pony here. ;D

Without this, I'm at a loss when it comes to quickly analyzing an embark position or a new tunnel.
Valuable gems? I can see an an instant if it's ok do dig 'em and make my tunnel a bit curvy out or not and keep it straight.
Ores? Check the wiki, if it's not something like platinum or gold. It's tedious.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:51:03 pm by Vince »

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #3202 on: January 06, 2011, 01:23:56 pm »

It does, but it's one of those things we cant do anything about :(

Please keep it up!

Until such time as TTF works seamlessly, I think we will be either releasing two versions, or maybe a compromise where it's still readable...

Kimberlite is another one of those things... To get that particular shade of blue, we are mixing blue foreground with grey background colour. But floors use the background colour to indicate the smoothed/engraved status so you only see ... well grey apparently, though I would have expected it to use the blue foreground colour... :S

Without this, I'm at a loss when it comes to quickly analyzing an embark position or a new tunnel.
Valuable gems? I can see an an instant if it's ok do dig 'em and make my tunnel a bit curvy out or not and keep it straight.
Ores? Check the wiki, if it's not something like platinum or gold. It's tedious.

I totally understand what you mean, and I have to do the same thing myself sometimes. One problem with doing this in the past was the lack of tile slots, but more/more obvious ore tiles were something we discussed for our post-ttf plans. Then with all the talk of fancy shaders we were looking at totally changing the way we make the graphics but that doesnt seem to be really happening so I think were going to have to refocus and make plans based on what we can actually do, right now. :D

Also here is the tileset with no n's or V's and the water+numbers test :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 01:25:36 pm by WormSlayer »

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: January 06, 2011, 02:59:32 pm »

Awesome to see some more work coming out on this! Just when I thought I had safely escaped the clutches of DF I'm pulled back in. Oh well. :D
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: January 06, 2011, 05:55:01 pm »

Maybe I just need to become used to it, but I'm not sure that the water with numbers looks good with the rest of the set.

I mean, it seems too abstract. In the past versions I was looking at a sea/lake/river. Now I feel like I'm looking at a Minesweeper window.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: January 06, 2011, 05:57:44 pm »

I agree with Lord Vetinari. its pretty neat looking, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:51 pm »

It does, but it's one of those things we cant do anything about :(

What if you were to add partial transparency to the textured background of the stone and ore tiles?  You'd get a bluish tinge, at least.  (The same principle applies to creature graphics.)
can we switch smoothed Kimberlite to retain its blue colour please?  Right now it turns from sexy blue to a dull light grey.
Kimberlite is another one of those things... To get that particular shade of blue, we are mixing blue foreground with grey background colour. But floors use the background colour to indicate the smoothed/engraved status so you only see ... well grey apparently, though I would have expected it to use the blue foreground colour... :S
You might be interested in the TILE_COLOR, BUILD_COLOR, and BASIC_COLOR tokens.  I think they do what you're looking for.

Lastly, I really like the idea of water with numbers... but I agree that it's a little too icon-y right now.  I have no idea if this makes sense, but what if you reworked the swirling water to look like stylized versions of the number in question?  Like 2 would have a zig-zag, 6 and 9 would be spirals, 8 would swirl twice... it'd still look like water, but if you look at an isolated tile it'll be recognizable as a number.

That, or just put the numbers in a darker shade behind the water.  Like there's a big shadowy 4 lying on the bottom of the pool.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: January 06, 2011, 08:43:12 pm »

Don't worry, I'm not going to mess with wall colors any more.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #3208 on: January 06, 2011, 09:18:22 pm »

Now you mention it, I dimly remember those tokens :D

I think I've fixed kimberlite now, will see if I can find any around my fort! Anyone know of other things with colour issues?

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:39 am »

I totally understand what you mean, and I have to do the same thing myself sometimes. One problem with doing this in the past was the lack of tile slots, but more/more obvious ore tiles were something we discussed for our post-ttf plans.
We have ... roughly 14 tiles for stones in general now.
We could have:
-Sand
-Soil
-Ore, 4 value levels, variant 1
-Ore, 4 value levels, variant 2
-4 tiles for stone
Makes 14.
I don't think it would be that much of a problem, especially when we can play with colors and tile magic on top of that. :)
Edit: Does my post sound snippy? I don't mean it that way :)
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 [214] 215 216 ... 329