Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1217395 times)

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (new sprites from NW_Kohaku!)
« Reply #4335 on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:23 am »

I usually listen to other music while I'm working on it,
so I have the sound off. Do people actually listen to the DF music? Should I leave it on?

I don't use the sound. I listen to audio of people playing pen and paper roleplaying games instead. :P

Ha, I used to do that as well, my favourite were the PA/PVP ones, what casts do you listen to?

Alexander86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: March 06, 2012, 06:50:22 am »

Okay, here's Ironhand's Graphic Set doubled (quadrupled really) to 36x36 pixels from 18x18 pixels.  It has a pregenerated world with an active fortress mode save for those of you who easily want to see first-hand that a 36x36 pixel graphical set is indeed possible with the current version of DF.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5792

Holy crap this is awesome! How did you do this? I have photoshop and several other apps just not much of the know how to use it properly. I can definitely see the difference. Especially in the text.  *Salivates*

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: March 06, 2012, 07:02:50 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5793

This is a version of Ironhand's graphic set that is up-rezzed to 64x64 pixels per tile, all of the creatures and living beings have been replaced by a 64x64 image of a chimpanzee: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/20754.htm
The base tileset has also been uprezzed to 64x64 to see if there were any graphical glitches in the game.
As you can see from the active Adventure Mode save, all of the living things have been replaced by a chimpanzee.  On my screen the Chimpanzee's high-details are not noticeable as the game seems to scale the image back to fit on the monitor in use.

This means that higher resolution graphics are definitely useless unless the target computer has a high enough resolution monitor to view them with.  The game will always have a minimum of 80 tiles horizontally, so the resolution of the graphics pack must take into account the size of the monitor (usually something like 1920x1200) divided by [80, 25].  For 1920x1200 monitors, the highest resolution graphical tiles that would not be downsized by the game would be 24x24 pixel graphical tiles (assuming a square tile).
Ironhand's set seems to be aimed at a horizontal resolution of 1440, while Phoebus' is aimed at a horizontal resolution of 1280.

--------
Edit:
Holy crap this is awesome! How did you do this? I have photoshop and several other apps just not much of the know how to use it properly. I can definitely see the difference. Especially in the text.  *Salivates*
Really, you can see a difference?  I didn't notice, maybe I didn't pay attention.  Since Ironhand's graphics were just up-scaled there shouldn't be a difference in detail.  Personally the detail of Ironhand's graphics in his original pack and those from my modified 36x36 and 64x64 test packs looked the same to me.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:07:19 am by Greendogo »
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Alexander86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: March 06, 2012, 07:13:30 am »

Yea I could see some difference. The ground textures seemed to pop out a little more but the text was improved the most noticeably.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: March 06, 2012, 07:21:50 am »

Interesting.  Well if you want to know how I did the 36x36 test pack, I just used GIMP to scale each image to the appropriate number of pixels (exactly double each horizontal and vertical amount).  The function to "Scale Image" is located under the "Image" menu in GIMP (GIMP is a free and open source image manipulation program).  Then I just edited each image raw to indicate that the tiles in the corresponding images were now 36x36 pixels in dimensions (I did the same when I up-rezzed them to 64x64 pixels for the second test pack).

Edit: If you want to know anymore, send me a private message, I don't want to hijack Ironhand's thread about this anymore than I already have. I just thought I'd post it here since I used his pack and I thought he might be interested if he ever decided to upgrade the pack to a higher resolution later on.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 07:24:09 am by Greendogo »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: March 06, 2012, 11:49:06 am »

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: March 06, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »

Thanks! I've spent all day genning a perfect new world only to be suprised by the update. Luckily now I can get right back on it  :P

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: March 06, 2012, 12:43:02 pm »

Click me.

I just found out about the update and went to check this thread, hoping (but not expecting) to find a release.   Your post made me squeak a bit, which, given the fact that I'm 6'7" and quite beardy, sure must've looked funny.

Thanks! ;)

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #4343 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:45 pm »

Question, how do you get your military dwarfs to look like the one on your first post with the helmet with horns?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: March 06, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

He's pretty cool, isn't he?

He's actually in the game under the title "Champion",
which used to be given to any soldier with a legendary combat stat,
but now is reserved for a noble-designated noble that I'm not sure actually exists.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: March 06, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »

Champion still exists, but I think its bugged into nonhappeneing right now, like the Dungeon Master and the others like him.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #4346 on: March 06, 2012, 03:15:48 pm »

WOAH, got a weird one here, Ironhand.

Okay, so I should note that I've been using Phoebus up until this release. I wanna try out your set, see how I like it.

So here's EXACTLY what I did, step by step.

1. DL'd your combo pack (Graphics set pre-installed onto DF), saved the RAR to the folder that I use to hold all my DF stuff (All in individual folders)
2. Cut/copied saves from my 34.04 games into same directory I saved your pack to
3. Deleted 34.04 file
4. Extracted your pack into its own folder
5. Cut/copied my 34.04 saves directly into the new 34.05 saves folder
6. Ran DF and loaded my fortress.

First thing I see is that all the dirt blocks that make up the inner walls of my fortress are appropriately colored for the material, but the tiles are all mushrooms. Walls that have ore in them are all spiders, but stone walls are fine.

I'm working on upping a photo so you can see for yourself, but I'm running into difficulties on that right now (Lost pass for my photobucket account).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any idea what I did wrong?[/s]
NVM, fixed
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:58:55 pm by Linkeron »

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: March 06, 2012, 11:21:05 pm »

Your Dwarves ate everything... didn't they?  That's not fixed... oh never mind.

diegokilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:54 am »

I think I might just be doing something wrong, as far as my init settings or something... but I keep getting missing text:

To the right of the expedition leader it should say "Construct Building"
Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if this belongs on the bug tracker then please let me know.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: March 07, 2012, 02:57:59 am »

I think I might just be doing something wrong, as far as my init settings or something... but I keep getting missing text:

To the right of the expedition leader it should say "Construct Building"
Any help would be greatly appreciated, or if this belongs on the bug tracker then please let me know.

Few questions:

1) Are you using the vanilla ironhands .zip or have you added/modded in extra content?

2) does the error remain when you turn on/off truetype?

3) what does your errorlog say?
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 329