Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1207247 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)
« Reply #4905 on: January 29, 2020, 12:35:50 pm »

So, I'm almost afraid to ask, but is anyone willing to, or working on, updating this tileset to the new 47.01 (and beyond)? Goldenshadow took over from Ironhand, but may not continue past the graphical/Steam release, as he has noted a few posts above this one.

So, we're not yet to the graphical/Steam release, buy is anyone, Goldenshadow or otherwise, working on this release at all? Just curious. This remains, by far, my favorite tileset. To all who have worked on it, and maintained it, I just can't offer enough thanks.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: January 29, 2020, 11:50:46 pm »

I'll update it. Any thoughts on what icons to use for the new Altar and Dice?

I'm thinking maybe the box thing for the altar and the asterisk for the dice.
Spoiler: Proposed tiles: (click to show/hide)

It looks like the box thing is currently use as the food icon when you aren't using TWBT. And I can't tell that the asterisk is used for anything at first glance.

Some input from people who are more familiar with the game and this tileset would be helpful. These can always be changed later, though.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: January 30, 2020, 05:18:33 am »

I'll update it. Any thoughts on what icons to use for the new Altar and Dice?

I'm thinking maybe the box thing for the altar and the asterisk for the dice.
Spoiler: Proposed tiles: (click to show/hide)

It looks like the box thing is currently use as the food icon when you aren't using TWBT. And I can't tell that the asterisk is used for anything at first glance.

Some input from people who are more familiar with the game and this tileset would be helpful. These can always be changed later, though.

I think the table is a very good candidate to use as is for the altar. I honestly would expect Toady to just use that. As for the dice, no idea. It would be nice to have some dice dots on the symbol for easy identification, but all the vaguely square/quadratic symbols (box, grate, cage) already have so much uses - normal and inverted - that it's hard to do unobtrusively.
Tile #254 also looks kinda square, maybe we could hide a few dice dots in there. I'm not sure what the tile is used for in Mayday.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: January 30, 2020, 11:07:45 am »

My thoughts are similar to CLA's. I'm absolutely fine with your suggestion Jecowa, and as an alternative the table for the altar, or just about anything vaguely cubic-ish will do fine for the dice in general, as well as your original suggestion.

I'll go with either one without real complaint, that's for sure :)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: January 31, 2020, 12:31:13 am »

Maybe use table icon for the altar and the food crate for the dice? The food crate seems kind of large for a die, but in the vanilla graphics, it takes up the full tile.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: January 31, 2020, 01:02:15 am »

Sounds excellent to me!

Shadesmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: January 31, 2020, 03:41:11 am »

the dragon for the altar, in my humble opinion, would be beautiful. and the 4 gems for dice... who said that dice have to be cubes?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: January 31, 2020, 04:53:46 am »

Yeah, they don't need to be cubes sine only one of the dice is a d6. The problem with the 4 gems is that it looks like 4 rocks on the ground. It would be cool if it could be inverted somehow, but it doesn't seem like its color can be manually-adjusted since it uses its material color.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: February 14, 2020, 10:58:55 pm »

So, I decided to see what was involved in updating an existing tileset to a new version of the game. I have a working Ironhand for 47.02, so I figured I would post it for those that want it. I tried to set everything to what we're all used to from Goldenshadow's posts (game settings, etc). I'm pretty sure everything is as it should be, but something could be broken.

I used Jecowa's suggestions as to the dice and altar tiles. Jec, thank you for that, and if you want to update this tileset, please do, I just was experimenting and thought I might as well put it up here for those interested, since my experiment seemed to work out alright for my own game.

Updated for 47.02: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14804
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:53:58 pm by Walkaboutout »

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: February 16, 2020, 11:54:52 pm »

Updated to 47.03: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14804

If there happens to be anything wrong or off, please let me know.

Shadesmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: February 20, 2020, 06:23:18 am »

Updated to 47.03: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14804

If there happens to be anything wrong or off, please let me know.

what is this? its not ironhand graphics as i was used to o.O
microcline and orthoclase walls are now fruit boxes, claystone walls are indistinguishable from floor and the best of ironhand graphics, the unit graphics of dwarves, are now only ugly shadow silhouette? i appreciate ur effort, but this is definitely not the ironhand graphics i played for years or does come even close. Habituation and artistic pleasantness aside: this tileset is objectivly worse, because the visual difference between wall and floor is kinda important...
gems are now spider-webs >.< cmon
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:58:03 am by Shadesmar »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: February 20, 2020, 09:35:26 am »

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the walls or dwarves in this pack. Walkaboutout's distro is using the same floor and wall settings and same dwarf graphics files as mine. I'm guessing you didn't install the content from the graphics pack's "raw" folder into you save file's "raw" folder (located at /data/save/regionx/raw/). This might be bad to do, though, if your save is from a previous version of Dwarf Fortress. If your save is from Dwarf Fortress v0.44.x, then I think you should copy all the raws over except /raw/objects/item_tool.txt. It might be good to backup your save file first, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shadesmar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: February 20, 2020, 10:48:41 am »

many thx...that fixed it.
i didnt know that the tileset is part of every save file.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set
« Reply #4918 on: March 01, 2020, 12:18:51 pm »

Updated to 47.04: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14804

As always, if there happens to be anything wrong or off, please let me know.

JEB Davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: March 01, 2020, 08:06:56 pm »

Not being a modder, please excuse my lack of knowledge, but I've wondered about graphics for the up/down staircase since first playing.
What is involved in making a nice graphic for it, rather than the hideous default "X"?

I really like this Ironhand tileset.
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329