Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Disappointed.  (Read 8182 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disappointed.
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:38:07 am »

When I saw a new version was avaliable I was happy, however it took about 20 seconds after my download had finished to be completely disappointed.  First I had trouble with using my old tileset, the one that makes this game what it is to me because it's what I'm used to, after no luck getting it to work I gave up and looked for something similar, having found that I loaded up the game only to find the window couldn't be resized, ok I thought, I'm sure there's a work around for this I'll find it after I play a bit, however this new version apparently doesn't like laptop keyboards because I couldn't for the life of me get - or + to work, over all it has been a pretty shitty experience with this new version for me.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:42:18 am »

First of all, man up. If you're complaining about a lack of graphics, you really shouldn't be playing DF. As for the keys, you can very, VERY easily change the key-bindings (which my laptop-bound friend did in seconds, despite next to no knowledge of DF) to fix those buttons.

Not to mention, you can change the screen-size in the init.txt settings, or just full-screen. All of these are easily fixed and are problems with you, not the game.

Sorry to be so harsh, but...
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:44:14 am »

Hey, not everybody can stand tilesets. I know graphics are much easier on the eyes for me.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:44:39 am »

, over all it has been a pretty shitty experience with this new version for me.

That is because you are comparing it to the version which had YEARS of bug squashing and optimization done to it...  You really need to keep in mind that DF is an ALPHA, that means the game is still under development, so you are going to have lots and lots and lots of bug and problems, especially only a week or so into a huge new version such as this.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:46:49 am »

Oh please no graphics vs ASCII discussion in this thread, again.

Abaddon, I don't even know what to say. If you had bothered to look up some information about this release, you would have either avoided disappointment or found solutions for your problems.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:42 am »

First of all, man up. If you're complaining about a lack of graphics, you really shouldn't be playing DF. As for the keys, you can very, VERY easily change the key-bindings (which my laptop-bound friend did in seconds, despite next to no knowledge of DF) to fix those buttons.

Not to mention, you can change the screen-size in the init.txt settings, or just full-screen. All of these are easily fixed and are problems with you, not the game.

Sorry to be so harsh, but...

I don't think I said anything about "lack of graphics", I said I couldn't get it looking anything like my other version looks like, something you'd expect to be able to do in a new release.  I have changed my screen size, it still looks horrible, the answer you've given about that is inadequate and not really worth the time it took you to type it, sure I could figure out key bindings (despite apparently playing DF longer than your friend), but why the fuck should I have to?  This is a new release, I expect it to BUILD on previous versions, not completelyu fuck with what I know.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:47:49 am »

Toady forsook the 40dX merge to let us help him find bugs faster.
0.31.01 is a TEST.
Note the distinct lack of the last numeral on the version number.
Most of your complaints involve the fact that the 40dX merge is missing.
Let the man work, seriously.

Anything that had a number after the letter (40d16, etc) was NOT an actual release, and you can NOT base your expectations on it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:02:07 pm »

Stop harassing the poor guy, he just needs graphics to understand and play the game.

(much like me)

BTW, the MaydayMIX.bmp image works fine, in the DFG16 tileset.

DFG16
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/~mayday/upload/DFG16.zip
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:05:16 pm »

Maybe you should ask for your money back then.

but why the fuck should I have to?  This is a new release, I expect it to BUILD on previous versions, not completelyu fuck with what I know.

Because this is a game in development, and half of your complaints don't even apply because the missing features were never part of an official release?

Seriously, nobody is forcing you to play the release. It was well known that the 40dX features weren't merged yet and that the release would be buggy. Just play the old version.

Stop harassing the poor guy, he just needs graphics to understand and play the game.

Ah common, he isn't exactly acting polite and mature, at all, and there's not much harassment happening as far as I can see.

Sourlout

• Bay Watcher
  • L-l-l-ook at you hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »

First of all, man up. If you're complaining about a lack of graphics, you really shouldn't be playing DF.

Damn I love this .  If you don't know how to properly play this game the way I do, gtfo.  Nice.  *slow clap*

Hey, I play the game with all my dwarfs being miners and I see how much stone I can dig out before they starve to death. Got an issue with that? Or how about I play with all the colours as a spectrum of red.  Or, I play with 16x16 bit graphic tiles cause I like it. Or, maybe I am going to try playing a single player game the way I want to because I enjoy it. Jerk

*end of rant*

Anyway, to the (partial) solution of your problems. 
One potential problem:
If you were using a modified tileset (one without the ancient keys, like Maydays version), you will not be able to get it working.  This is because Mayday edited the raw files to allow for more unique tiles to be used.  What this means is that in the normal version of dwarf fortress the gem (I think?) and the turtle will share the same tile icon.  So this could be an issue.
Second:
Make sure you are using .bmp files.
Third:
It is also important to get the right resolution and grid size. (crit. if you are going to use graphics too).  Now my resolution is 1280&400 and my grid is 80&25.  I use this because my tiles are 16x16, also unlike the default ones.

Last:
I think there is a bug in generating a world using graphics turned on. To generate a world, ensure the graphic settings is turned off.

But, as others have pointed out, this is an alpha release.  If you want something stable, you should stick to the previous version. =p

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:15:32 pm by Sourlout »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:11:08 pm »

I don't think I said anything about "lack of graphics", I said I couldn't get it looking anything like my other version looks like, something you'd expect to be able to do in a new release.

I wouldn't say I expect graphics form the old version to be compatible with the new version. I myself use the Mayday's tileset, but you have to understand a lot of the stuff inside the raws were changed in Maydays so that the graphics would even show up for the most part. With the new raws he has to edit them all over again. I've been playing with ASCII until a stable Mayday's comes out, or rather, a stable Mayday's + 40D## merge.

In any case, don't let the graphics get you down. I don't know if Mayday's was the tileset you use, but there -are- tilesets that don't change any of the raws which make the game less eye-bleedy IMO.

As for the keybinds... I can't really say anything about it not working on your laptop, as I do not have one, however I do have a problem with them. it seems that in the old version F9 was used to exit out of menus where you can type, so that the spacebar can be used. it seems that this key has been changed to the general "get out of menu" button, which causes problems for those of us who want to change it from 'escape' back to 'spacebar' since when you type in certain menus it closes out when you hit spacebar. The same thing happens with the squad menu. The squad menu doesn't pause the game, and it uses the space bar to pause it... yet if you have rebound the 'back' button to space it also closes it out...

I suppose I could set it to escape like it is by defualt, but I think it would have been better to just have F9 like it was before...

Also, if there is a way to get it working like the old F9-style type-menu-closing or whatever, please tell me.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 12:20:11 pm »

Mayday's new version is pretty playable right now (other than that I can't really gen worlds consistently)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:19 pm »

, over all it has been a pretty shitty experience with this new version for me.

That is because you are comparing it to the version which had YEARS of bug squashing and optimization done to it...  You really need to keep in mind that DF is an ALPHA, that means the game is still under development, so you are going to have lots and lots and lots of bug and problems, especially only a week or so into a huge new version such as this.

Bug squashing? What bug squashing? There wasn't any bug squashing in 40d! There was a lot of OpenGL optimizations, which were basically started by OTHER people, not Toady. We went for almost 2 years with buggy crap in 40d that was never fixed, and now hasn't been fixed, and has actually been made worse  in some cases.

And now Toady is having computer problems. Awesome. We're not going to get any bug fixes for months, watch.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »

First of all, man up. If you're complaining about a lack of graphics, you really shouldn't be playing DF.

Damn I love this .  If you don't know how to properly play this game the way I do, gtfo.  Nice.  *slow clap*

Hey, I play the game with all my dwarfs being miners and I see how much stone I can dig out before they starve to death. Got an issue with that? Or how about I play with all the colours as a spectrum of red.  Or, I play with 16x16 bit graphic tiles cause I like it. Or, maybe I am going to try playing a single player game the way I want to because I enjoy it. Jerk

*end of rant*

Hey, hey, did I ever say that he should play the way I do? Really?

By man up I mean that he should get over the problems that are really easy to fix.
Those keybindings would have had to be changed in 40D anyway.
The screen resizing wasn't even part of the original 40D and was in fact in one of the 40D#, which hasn't been merged - yet.
People are already in the process of fixing their tile-sets and graphics for the new version.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

armrha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 12:32:40 pm »

Bug squashing? What bug squashing? There wasn't any bug squashing in 40d! There was a lot of OpenGL optimizations, which were basically started by OTHER people, not Toady. We went for almost 2 years with buggy crap in 40d that was never fixed, and now hasn't been fixed, and has actually been made worse  in some cases.

And now Toady is having computer problems. Awesome. We're not going to get any bug fixes for months, watch.

Oh, gimme a break. "Waaah! Waaah! The dude who works tireless on my hobby for less than he would make as a manager at McDonalds isn't fixing my problems with it fast enough! I hate my life!"

Man, the nerve of some people...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8