Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Disappointed.  (Read 8186 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Disappointed.
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2010, 10:43:09 pm »

I'd just like to say that, regardless of how buggy, incomplete, and possibly less awesome than it could be Dwarf Fortress is, it's still given me more fun and more importantly inspiration from day one than any other game I've played. To me it's a little like finding a great artist, unknown but still happily working on their own, doing their thing for the sake of it and without much care for how the rest of the world wants it to be like. Sure, there are things that I'd add to it if it were my game, and I suggest them from time to time, but I respect Toady and Threetoe a great deal for maintaining their integrity and sense of humor over the years, and still making more than I do on a free project :)

So yeah, I guess I'm a fanboy in a sense. But it's not like the creators are shoving DF down your throat like Mr. D.S. (he who shall not be named!) It's pretty cool, I think, regardless of whether you like the game, that someone has the chance and talent to make the perfect game for themselves, and that we get to play it for free.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »

Second, I'm pretty sure it isn't anyone else's fault than your own if you didn't spend the time to read the dev log and had unrealistic expectations for this release. Whining on here about it isn't going to do anyone any good.

III.B.2: Ability to send your army or part of your army out into the world map (part of Core27)

Since the dev log doesn't explain a lot about the various Cores, I assumed something like this was in the offing after a year and a half of development.  When exactly is it supposed to come in anyhow?  Maybe the wiki has something about the cores...

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2010, 11:05:05 pm »

Second, I'm pretty sure it isn't anyone else's fault than your own if you didn't spend the time to read the dev log and had unrealistic expectations for this release. Whining on here about it isn't going to do anyone any good.

III.B.2: Ability to send your army or part of your army out into the world map (part of Core27)

Since the dev log doesn't explain a lot about the various Cores, I assumed something like this was in the offing after a year and a half of development.  When exactly is it supposed to come in anyhow?  Maybe the wiki has something about the cores...
You will notice that the listings on the Arc pages are color-coded. That one has always been white, which means it was not being worked on. He never said he was working on that in the dev log either.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2010, 11:05:29 pm »

Just the text in yellow (now, green) were being implemented. It doesn't take a genius to figure that.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2010, 11:14:30 pm »

I recently read through the dev log from the d40 release and basically* what happened was he chose to break save compatibility to fix some fundamental issues preventing further work on the Army Arc. Now, because breaking save compatibility is a Big Deal he wanted to fit in as much fundamental work as possible at the same time. In hindsight this proved to be a massive undertaking and significantly slowed the project. This has been acknowledged by Toady as a harsh lesson.

Where things stand now is he's finally finished the save breaking work, for now at least, and laid the foundation for relatively rapid development of more Core features. So we should see a cycle of bug fixes for awhile, followed by much smaller chunks of new functionality.

*I kinda forget the details, and old dev log is gone now.

WoolyPounds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2010, 11:15:49 pm »

While I don't want to add to this train wreck of a thread, I'm going to anyway.

Anyone who has a complaint has a right to voice their opinion. Everyone running in to call them an idiot, whiner, or any other derogatory term is just adding to their frustration and fanning the flames. Even if you disagree with someone, just listen to what they have to say. We should discuss our ideas and assist each other, not get all worked up when someone voices opposition to something.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:23 pm »

lol i trol u

Gara-nis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:53 pm »

Dear whiners,

This game is in alpha.  When you play it, you are testing it for the developer. You, yes you are a bug tester.

So please, either help Toady (and us) test the game, or get lost, and let Toady (and us) work in peace.

Also, would people please stop questioning whether Toady is living in self-imposed penury right now?  I live in the Seattle area, and anyone who thinks he lives on a comfortable income should move out of their mommy's house, move out here and see how fun living on 25k a year really is.

Excellent job reading the thread before posting. Everything you said has already been addressed.

What does that contribute besides trolling? Everything you've said in this thread has been more flamebait...

WoolyPounds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2010, 11:27:01 pm »

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2010, 11:27:11 pm »

Dear whiners,

This game is in alpha.  When you play it, you are testing it for the developer. You, yes you are a bug tester.

So please, either help Toady (and us) test the game, or get lost, and let Toady (and us) work in peace.

Also, would people please stop questioning whether Toady is living in self-imposed penury right now?  I live in the Seattle area, and anyone who thinks he lives on a comfortable income should move out of their mommy's house, move out here and see how fun living on 25k a year really is.

Excellent job reading the thread before posting. Everything you said has already been addressed.

What does that contribute besides trolling? Everything you've said in this thread has been more flamebait...

This is a troll thread really, Suprised it's not locked.

@Misterstone, My brother makes around that amount, probably less, actually. He's got a small but cozy apartment in the U-district around 5 blocks from The Ave. He ain't doin' too bad.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2010, 12:13:10 am »

I feel like when I take some time and try to write out a reasonable post, it gets buried by unrelated/unreasonable posts.
Alright, so "Son I am Disapoint" is funny but it didn't really add anything to a conversation. Same with calling the OP a troll. Whats the point? Do you rack up some kind of points by making posts of no informational value?

I agree. Whether you like the new DF or don't like it, those kind of posts add nothing to the conversation and those people should be summarily banned.

Aww, I was just trying to bring a bit of amusement to this thread, which was filled with so much Serious Business.  I guess I'll spoiler my images next time though.   

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2010, 12:25:29 am »

*I kinda forget the details, and old dev log is gone now.

It's been moved to the DF main/download page.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2010, 01:21:44 am »

Lots of reports on this one, so I'm going to lock it.  Starting another criticism thread is fine.  Please try to be respectful.  We're trying to be lax with the mutes/warns for the time being, but if you think something is going over the line, please just report it and try not to jump in with unnecessary hostile comments.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]