Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Disappointed.  (Read 8166 times)

Kaolix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disappointed.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 12:35:39 pm »

This is a game in alpha, every new release, especially when it's adding large new features that break save compatability, is going to be RIDDLED with bugs. This is true of independent games developers and commercial ones alike, its just you never get to see the commercial ones, because they pay people to test it for them. You aren't paying for the game, any money you may give/have given to Toady is your own choice.

While the points you make about lack of compatability with tilesets and various bugs are entirely valid, they should be made in an entirely different manner.
Tileset compatability, for instance, is not even an issue that Toady can consider, they are mods, added by other people. As for the bugs, there are various bug threads and a bug logging system around, you can report issues you may have using those.

At the end of the day, Toady does not have some paid people testing each release of the game before he makes it available, that is what WE do. If you want to play an unbuggy release, wait until after the initial testing period, when some patched version of the release are available. Yes it may take weeks, or even longer, but you have no right to post unconstructive, impolite criticism of it.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 01:14:55 pm »

I am pretty shocked at the attitude of some of these people. Maybe that's what you start to get when it starts to attracts greater numbers of players.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 01:38:56 pm »

I am pretty shocked at the attitude of some of these people. Maybe that's what you start to get when it starts to attracts greater numbers of players.

I'm not surprised. Most people haven't been exposed software development processes, much less one that's driven by one man and his cat. Add in the fact that things get prioritized according to what Toady wants to do and lots of people feel left out in the cold.

I do think Toady should turn DF into more of a game engine and set things up so the people who are interested (and there seem to be a lot) can provide the 'front end' as it were.

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:22 pm »

I don't think your ineptitude at changing key bindings (the same way it was done in the last version) or resizing your screen (the same way it was done in the last version) is really Toady's fault. Not being able to use tilesets CERTAINLY isn't.

Before you complain about Toady, who puts his heart and soul into this game, on the grounds that you can't do simple technical things that you could easily have explained for you in the questions forum, you should think about how big of a cockhat you are going to sound to all the people who support this game and it's amazing creator.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:47 pm »

The problem is that Dwarf Fortress as much as it seems has been added so far is still VERY early in development.

It would be like trying to Balance Streetfighter while the only character programmed in is Ryu... and Ryu only has two moves.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:58 pm »

Okay...

I can get that someone doesn't understand that there's in fact two separate teams working on DF, one is Toady, who is developing the main game, and the other are a couple of forumnites who are trying to improve the graphics compatibility and speed(Which allowed all the spiffy things like resizing on the fly). If you have even the vaguest idea of how code works, you will understand that combining two different versions of a program is not something easy.

What I'm confused about is why you didn't ask around first? I mean, the guys here in the modding section could make DF tap-dance for you if asked nicely enough.(though that is a hyperbole, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually could)

I mean, why live in such discomfort?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 01:55:32 pm »

So much rage and emotion in this thread, wow.

To the OP, I'd suggest maybe waiting until after the upcoming merge with the graphics update (the 40d# series you are probably used to that had resizing/transparency/etc.). That, and there are some bugs still present that might annoy you (or entertain you, all depends on how you like to play the game). Otherwise, grab the latest Mayday pack off the wiki and try out some of the new features with more familiar graphics.

Sometimes I think this forum is inching towards a tantrum spiral. Some of the vets are impatient with the migrant waves -- newbie bashing is great, eh? Gets the blood boiling and beer spilling!

Advice to new players: post concerns as if the slightest misstep would blow off your leg. And check the wiki, a lot of great information and how-to articles are up that can give you a hand with a lot of common issues.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 02:09:30 pm »

Sometimes I think this forum is inching towards a tantrum spiral. Some of the vets are impatient with the migrant waves -- newbie bashing is great, eh? Gets the blood boiling and beer spilling!
This forum has always had periods of tantrum spirals. Just lately they've been betting bigger along with the fanbase. ::)

Most of the time we keep it pretty chill, like Toady's attitude. I'm going to quote Dave Chapelle here. I'm not saying that we all need to smoke some weed, but I'm saying you ought to smoke some weed :P

Toady brought out the release so we could help test. So testing we are. Otherwise we would still be waiting. Yes, there are issues with it, but it's nothing that we aren't going to work on.

Have fun in the new release despite (or for me because of) the bugs. If not, go back to what you had before. 40d is not unplayable.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 02:21:28 pm »

please, remove my account.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:54:45 pm by xoen »

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 02:32:54 pm »

Now - i am watching what people are trying to do with 31, and this is generally devastating so far.
Version is far away from d40 - 31 is not expanded d40 + things i hoped to see, like d40+docs, real layers generating engine(like d40's), with just fixed milking and better military - it is engine for making..well, diablo clones, almost.

Are we playing the same game? Because you sure didn't describe the new version.

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:06 pm »

Now - i am watching what people are trying to do with 31, and this is generally devastating so far.
Version is far away from d40 - 31 is not expanded d40 + things i hoped to see, like d40+docs, real layers generating engine(like d40's), with just fixed milking and better military - it is engine for making..well, diablo clones, almost.

Are we playing the same game? Because you sure didn't describe the new version.
ah fuck, ignore my post, k?
have fun with arena and 32o45723592502857 of ultraironfockin golems, or sth.
shame, that my goddamn miner cannot find tile to dig while STANDING NEAR it.
just...ignore, k?

remove my account.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:55:16 pm by xoen »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 02:36:13 pm »

Didn't read all the posts, but if a person can't change the key bindings, I have just one thing to tell: Dwarf Fortress isn't farmville.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:40:11 pm by thvaz »

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

Didn't read all the posts, but if a person can't change the key bindings, I have just one think to tell: Dwarf Fortress isn't farmville.
i could learn ya how to rebind, moron.
foff. please, remove that acccount.
usa moron won't make fun off me.
Ye, fock, you are better, we know.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:40 pm »

Sorry for my post, it won't be attack nor whinning, just voice of user that cannot manage anymore - and i am not talking about current bugs, nope.
------
I am devastated.
Yes, i am devastated - i realized, that complexity of 31 is beyond me,
I drowned into d40#'s and after spending hundreds of hours and sleepless nights I managed to consolidate very, very powerful conglomerate of mods, changes and mixes, with 100% gfx - very, very stable thing.
Also - NOTHING is out off canon, everything fits into world.
--
Reconstruction of dfg+ddwarfier+civ_overhaul+deons+10 more mods+new 31 things is just impossible from my pov(not pr0, just thinking person with some editing skills).
Tragic, that loudest ones are happy, and noone can have other opinion.
Things may change in few...MONTHS, so consider my post as useless whining...

My laptops keyboard broke last night and that means no moar DF for me..not enough working keys left.
Fuck, no more ADOM, too :E
Good luck to everyone.

You do realize that the .31 is the percentage 'complete' the game is, right?  Less than 1/3 of the game is finished as envisioned by Toady One.  Major things are going to change.

You also realize the last version was 0.28...., ie, 28% complete.  So that's a whole 3% added to a game that was already pretty epic.  That's a 10% increase in features.  This is major.  No major release is just going to be 'the old one + bug fixes + a few tweaks'.  Expect large alterations every major release.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 02:39:27 pm »

shame, that my goddamn miner cannot find tile to dig while STANDING NEAR it.
Shame that you're letting bugs that are in a TESTING RELEASE bug you this much.
(Terrible pun, I know)
Seriously though, he released this so we could help him find these bugs so he can fix them for the next release.
Calm the hell down.
Dwarf Fortress is an alpha on its own.
But this release is like an alpha alpha.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8