Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2010 idea dumpster.  (Read 4679 times)

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2010 idea dumpster.
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:04:55 pm »

With all these modding capibilities, you can easily have new mods, total redesigns and general fun.

Unlike the modding attempts thread, this is for the sole purpose of brainstorming ideas for major mods.

To start off, I have already came up with a Background for a halflife mod. All I need to do is get ready to add Combine and other assorted things.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: 2010 idea dumpster.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:08:21 pm »

I really want to make a Don't Rest Your Head mod, with the Awake and the Nightmares battling it out, but I have no idea how to go about it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:12:15 pm »

Studying the Castes tag and the materials tag is pretty interesting reading & it makes me wonder at how far you can go with modding this game now that creatures can have greater variety to them.

For a graphics mod can you have caste specific graphic tiles for the different caste types? Can you have a separate tile for a Queen Antman than you do for a Drone Antman? Can you have separate tiles for male and female dwarves and goblins?

How large can you make a species with its castes? Using the Antmen as the example we have situation where there are the two genderless castes (workers and soldiers) & the two gendered castes (drones and queens). Can you set specific jobs for each caste in a playable civilization? Can you make a society where only a certain caste can be farmers or nobles?

This update opens up many new possibilities and I'm looking forward to seeing what the modders can do with it.

Personally I'm still hoping that I can eventually mod in a way to have intelligent pets who are able to equip items and perform tasks.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:15:23 pm »

Sadly, permitted jobs and whatnot are entity-level, so castes can't alter them.  You can sort of restrict positions to castes, though.
Also known as Zuhayr.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:47:08 pm »

Sadly, permitted jobs and whatnot are entity-level, so castes can't alter them.  You can sort of restrict positions to castes, though.
please clarify that because one of the creature edits for my own mod depends on having a specific caste in a species to only be leader types.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:58:22 pm »

please clarify that because one of the creature edits for my own mod depends on having a specific caste in a species to only be leader types.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the exact method, sorry.  I'll have a root around and see if I can find the post I saw it explained in.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:20:50 pm »

I really want to make a Don't Rest Your Head mod, with the Awake and the Nightmares battling it out, but I have no idea how to go about it.
I love you.

And now I'm working on a Schoolgirl Fortress full of moe, umbrellas, huge guns and gore but I need ideas for other races/plants etc.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:22:56 pm »

I want a Runelords mod but im not sure if it is even possible to have stat-leeching (doubt it...).
It would be so awesome, you could build a proper dedicate's keep, and have a few superdwarves :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »

For a graphics mod can you have caste specific graphic tiles for the different caste types? Can you have a separate tile for a Queen Antman than you do for a Drone Antman? Can you have separate tiles for male and female dwarves and goblins?

From the wiki;

CASTE_TILE             Caste-specific creature tile.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 03:18:14 pm »

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the exact method, sorry.  I'll have a root around and see if I can find the post I saw it explained in.

Please do since at would be very helpful. In relation to the castes+graphics question I had earlier: do professions over-write castes in terms of graphics? If I had a separate graphic for Male caste dwarves than I did for Female caste dwarves, would I be able to have one for Male Engineer dwarves and one for Female engineer dwarves or would their profession use a single tile?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 03:36:16 pm »

Studying the Castes tag and the materials tag is pretty interesting reading & it makes me wonder at how far you can go with modding this game now that creatures can have greater variety to them.
As much as you want. Right now my test version of the scourge entity for my Genesis mod features minotaurs, ogres, vampires and other evil creatures as castes of the same civilization, with a "mother monster" generated spawning creature.

CASTE_TILE is used for ASCII version of creature, I don't see anything specific in regarding to graphics which is sad. I hope Toady One makes it in someday.

How large can you make a species with its castes?
There're no specific restrictions on creature sizes. You can have huge females and males of the size of a mouse.

I think caste-level professions are not in yet. It's a "framework" release and other needed features are still missing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 03:40:30 pm »

As much as you want. Right now my test version of the scourge entity for my Genesis mod features minotaurs, ogres, vampires and other evil creatures as castes of the same civilization, with a "mother monster" generated spawning creature.

CASTE_TILE is used for ASCII version of creature, I don't see anything specific in regarding to graphics which is sad. I hope Toady One makes it in someday.

How large can you make a species with its castes?
There're no specific restrictions on creature sizes. You can have huge females and males of the size of a mouse.

I think caste-level professions are not in yet. It's a "framework" release and other needed features are still missing.

Thanks for answering. I'm kind of bummed to hear that I can't have a Bull Elephant graphic and a separate female elephant graphic, but hopefully something like that can occur in later releases.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 04:25:45 pm »

Also can someone explain to me step by step how to mod a rock so that it can burn like lignite blocks but will release poisonous gas? Or if it isnt possible to continually burn, how to just make it vaporise and release toxic gas?
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »

Please do since at would be very helpful. In relation to the castes+graphics question I had earlier: do professions over-write castes in terms of graphics? If I had a separate graphic for Male caste dwarves than I did for Female caste dwarves, would I be able to have one for Male Engineer dwarves and one for Female engineer dwarves or would their profession use a single tile?

Sorry about the delay, I rather forgot what I was doing.  The quote I read was:

Quote from: Knight Otu
The one way I found to restrict entity positions beyond the [GENDER] tag is by adding a creature class to the caste(s) in question and in the entity position, use the [ALLOWED_CLASS] tag(s), which I had to use since gender only seems to take male and female, rather than castes (There is also an [ALLOWED_CREATURE] tag, but I haven't worked out yet how it works. There are also [REJECTED_...] equivalents for those two tags). For antmen, however, the gender tag should suffice, as the queen is the only true female in the species.

I'm not familiar with graphical stuff, so I can't answer the graphics questions.

Also can someone explain to me step by step how to mod a rock so that it can burn like lignite blocks but will release poisonous gas? Or if it isnt possible to continually burn, how to just make it vaporise and release toxic gas?

To make it vaporise, just give the material a BOILING_POINT just under room temperature and a MAT_FIXED_TEMP that ensures it's always above that boiling point.  Then slap a SYNDROME onto it, and voila, explosive poisonous gas.
Also known as Zuhayr.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 09:33:42 pm »

Is it possible to make a unit or perhaps mined rock using the boiling_point trick that when tripped blows up? I'm wanting a large flame cloud / vapor cloud expanding for many levels that wipes out any thing caught in the blast radius but haven't been able to find out how to make it. It can be RP'd numerous ways depending on how it could be implemented...
Pages: [1] 2