Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: On the perils of Delving Deep.  (Read 14109 times)

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the perils of Delving Deep.
« on: April 06, 2010, 06:51:35 pm »

I recently downloaded the new version of Dwarf Fortress and decided to build a base in the mountains. There was no water nearby, so I decided to Dig until I found a cave. Eventually, after 40 levels of digging, we broke through into a large, watery cavern. After securing our watersupply, we continued digging. And digging. And digging. Three caverns later, I suddenly got a message

"Raw Adamantine! Praise the Miners!"

DEAR GOD WHAT DO I DO? We just started the fortress for Armok's sake!

P.S. Just punctured the mantle. THERE IS EVEN MORE ADAMANTINE.

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the perils of Delving Deep.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:54:09 pm »

Dig Deeper.

Dig Greedier.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:55:10 pm »

Stay calm, don't touch it, and DO NOT DIG ANY DEEPER.

It actually won't kill you to mine out some of the pretty stuff, but just make sure not to go down much deeper.  There are...  "Things".

Otherwise, just sit tight until you feel comfortable going down there.  You've got plenty enough in the caverns and the magma sea to worry about without troubling your head over What Lies Beneath.

But when you do have a nice military up and running?  By all means, take the plunge.  There's nothing quite like it.

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:58:29 pm »

Thanks, both of you. But how do I get a Magma Forge running without puncturing the rock that keeps the magma from drowning me in an orgy of volcanic destruction?

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:21 pm »

magma wont flow up unless its pumped. you can puncture it all you like and not drown in the stuff

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »

Oh, you haven't reached the magma yet?

No worries then.  You can dig down to the magma barrier without having to worry about much more than, well, the stuff that lives in the magma.  Just stay away from the blue stuff, as it forms these, ah, "pipes" that punch through the magma to...  What's underneath.

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:05:08 pm »

Alright, but wait, I thought the things lived in... So I can open portals directly to...

Ohhhhhhh. That does explain the pipes... But what if I don't breach the Adamantine seal, and continue digging? Will it be breached regardless?

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07:36 pm »

dig sideways for a bit then continue going down. I dont think the fun stuff makes up entire layers. At least, not above the magma sea.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 07:08:57 pm »

Alright, but wait, I thought the things lived in... So I can open portals directly to...

Ohhhhhhh. That does explain the pipes... But what if I don't breach the Adamantine seal, and continue digging? Will it be breached regardless?
If you somehow cave in over the magma and dig through that, or dig around the magma, you will hit 'semi-molten rock' which is un-minable.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:10:52 pm »

Yeah, digging through the magma will eventually breach "it" (and no, there's no avoiding it).  Of course, this process does involve DIGGING THROUGH MAGMA, and will likely not be something you'll wind up doing accidentally.

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:14:11 pm »

"Oddly enough, I have found large "pipes" of Granite and Bauxite through the Magma. I think I'll try thos-"
-Last words of Urist McDwarfbeard, Legendary Miner

So, I take it the above will happen if I try going further then.

A pity, as I'm only at level 80 of 130...

Must...Dig... DEEPER.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 07:14:28 pm »

If you somehow cave in over the magma and dig through that, or dig around the magma, you will hit 'semi-molten rock' which is un-minable.

There usually is a way to dig through the magma sea without resorting to trickery or shinies.  But yeah, you hit semi-molten rock anyway.  The ONLY way to get past THAT is through the shinies.  And the shinies are... dangerous.

It's safe to dig SOME of it out... but I think that's an exercise best left to the reader to puzzle over.  Learning is FUN!

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 07:15:02 pm »

Yay learning!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 07:23:43 pm »

"safe to dig some of it" is, well, relative... You're probably safe, but with my very first try I hit something deadly after exactly 3 squares of shiny stuff. Do you feel lucky, punk?  ;D
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:19 pm »

Not sure. I mean, the Adamantine Pipes are totally surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of Gold veins.

Hmmm. Possible death by... Hidden Fun Stuff, or certain piles of gold. Hmmm.
Pages: [1] 2 3