Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: On the perils of Delving Deep.  (Read 13933 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the perils of Delving Deep.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 07:29:00 pm »

Mine it out, put your nobles in their new royal quarters, open up fun stuff so they can watch.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:29:00 pm »

has anyone yet tried applying water to the un-minable rock... stands to reason if you cool semi molten rock it'll cool and you'll be able to mine...

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »

Thought of that. Problem is moving 3 zillion gallons of water down, then Pumping it back out. Brrrr...

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:41:50 pm »

has anyone yet tried applying water to the un-minable rock... stands to reason if you cool semi molten rock it'll cool and you'll be able to mine...

obsidian cast your way down? the issue I see with that is you have no idea how deep it is, which is information you need to know beforehand. You'll be making a reverse pyramid to get down there.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 07:44:11 pm »

the issue I see with that is you have no idea how deep it is, which is information you need to know beforehand. You'll be making a reverse pyramid to get down there.

Want to know, surely. Need to know...? Well...that's what migrants are for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 07:46:49 pm »

the issue I see with that is you have no idea how deep it is, which is information you need to know beforehand. You'll be making a reverse pyramid to get down there.

Want to know, surely. Need to know...? Well...that's what migrants are for.

well, you need to know or you have to start all over casting from the top when your pyramid ends up short.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »

"safe to dig some of it" is, well, relative... You're probably safe, but with my very first try I hit something deadly after exactly 3 squares of shiny stuff. Do you feel lucky, punk?  ;D
I think it's only safe to mine out the very top level of the pipe, which is only about 5-20 pieces, sadly.

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »

Can one Cave-in Adamantine?

robot_spider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:10 pm »

I'll tell you what. Just last night I was digging through a pillar of adamantite, and I got through five z-levels before I wound up opening the hole to HELL!

And then my FPS dropped to 19 and my military stopped responding to orders and none of the guys bothered to come up to my fortress because they were having too much fun burning cave critters.

POOR BUGBATS!

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 08:32:32 pm »

Not the BUGBATS! NOOOOOOOO!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 03:20:34 am »

Not sure. I mean, the Adamantine Pipes are totally surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of Gold veins.

Hmmm. Possible death by... Hidden Fun Stuff, or certain piles of gold. Hmmm.
therein lies another problem, dig too much of that sweet, sweet native gold and you'll find goblins showing up on your doorstep faster than you can say "gee it would be fatal to my fortress if i were suddenly ambushed by 8 fully armored pikemen"
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:35:08 am by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 03:35:03 am »

Once you get to the magma sea it's like the biggest game of minesweeper you've ever played. Except there's nothing telling you how close you are to going boom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 04:05:07 am »

Not sure. I mean, the Adamantine Pipes are totally surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of Gold veins.

therein lies another problem, dig too much of that sweet, sweet native gold and you'll find goblins showing up on your doorstep faster than you can say "gee it would be fatal to my fortress if i were suddenly ambushed by 8 fully armored pikemen"

Fun = Get both to happen at the same time.  Let them fight each other.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:05 am »

Fun = Get both to happen at the same time.  Let them fight each other.
the end result would be more like being sandwiched between the force of darkness and what lies in the darkness -in other words: twice the Fun
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Vimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:13 pm »

I just realized an even more FUN thing. I have given myself a cheat reaction to produce
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. I'd like to see goblins breach my totally self-contained fort with gates made of THAT.
Pages: 1 [2] 3