Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The actual odds of these bugs getting fixed (serious topic)  (Read 5696 times)

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The actual odds of these bugs getting fixed (serious topic)
« on: April 07, 2010, 02:03:30 am »

I've been reading a lot about the many bugs in .31. While .31 undoubtedly added incredible new features and brought DF to a whole new level above the revolutionary game it was already, it also introduced a ton of new bugs, many more debilitating than the ones in 40d. My question is: Does it seem like these bugs will be fixed in a short enough amount of time (personally, I'd say any time up to a month from now?) The main argument I've seen is "the 40d bugs lasted 2 years and we learned to live with those; this will be the same"; however, having been a 40d player (albeit not from the beginning), I feel like these bugs are a bit more serious. Without starting some kind of flamewar, what sort of timeframe do the veterans expect these bugs to be fixed in?

Note: I do, of course, appreciate all the work Toady has put into this, and I'm perfectly willing to play and support DF even with the bugs it has today. I would, however, like to see them fixed in some sort of time shorter than 2 years, if possible, which is why I'm asking this.
puppywhirrrrrrl

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The actual odds of these bugs getting fixed (serious topic)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:15 am »

I'm pretty sure 40d was a very well ironed 40a, which had a roughness comparable to this release right now.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:13 am »

yes....they will get fixed....it was 40D for a reason.

will all of them get fixed? to say for sure I doubt it...its an alpha game. But you also have to realize that this release was a major feature addition release and as such was being worked on while there were little bugs that were going to be taken care of later (eg you may notice things like milking are fixed now in the new release)

Bug releases will be Toadys goal for a while at least until all the major bugs are dealt with and there will also be some rebalancing done as well.

At this point dont sweat it to much

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:52 am »

The d is the clue there. Edit: Seems I'm beaten to that point ;)

Also he's already said he doesn't like spending so long between releases. Back when it was 2d we often got one every couple of weeks or so. So I imagine it's likely to see some of the bugs fixed soon.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:13:15 am »

lol its 3am....why is everyone up? I thought I was the only one here and BAM 3 posts within seconds on the same topic lol (mind you I do realize there are people in different time zones here)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 02:13:48 am »

Toady's ability to add new and terrifying bugs to the game is only matched by his ability to fix them in short order.

I've been around for a number of versions now, and I have to say it really is quite amazing just how quickly he can find the cause of a bug, squash it, and then release a bugfix version.

It's also rather amazing how he manages to add in one or two new bugs with that bugfix.

Yeah, we lived with some bugs for a while...  But I really can't remember any crippling bugs that sat with .40 for any real length of time.  Yes, we had oddball stuff...  But most of the things that were hanging around were the things we like to refer to as "undocumented features".  Of course, that term isn't entirely correct, seeing as we started documenting them.

Frankly, I'd be quite surprised if Toady hasn't fixed all the (current) major bugs by the end of the month.  I'll also be quite surprised if we don't have a few new ones to keep things interesting.

In all seriousness, don't worry about it.  Toady has been running the DF extermination service for quite a long time, and he's gotten pretty damn good at it.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:17:03 am »

lol its 3am....why is everyone up? I thought I was the only one here and BAM 3 posts within seconds on the same topic lol (mind you I do realize there are people in different time zones here)

I just started work :P (which is why I'm reading forums ... )

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:25:21 am »

The bloat number was gradually increasing as the bugs got fixed as well, so it's largely unclear where one version ends and the other begins. .38a, the first 3D release, was about just as buggy as this one, if not more so. It was gradually being improved over the course of nine months until it became .40d, and then Baughn chimed in with his OGL/SDL variant. You can look at the older versions download page to see how bugfixing progressed. February '08 saw three bugfix releases of .38, at which point it was deemed stable enough to enter a long-ish dev period, .39a coming out in July. It was then followed by bugfix releases through the whole of July and August, finishing as .40d in beginning of September.

All in all, I'd say we stand a fair chance of seeing most bugs of .31.1 being squashed away within two months, with the most noticeable likely being done before the month's over, and nonzero chances of more small things being added in the process.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:42:41 am »

The last version (40a) already had a "hotfix" 3 days after release IIRC. Let's just hope Toady works as quick on this release as he did with 40a.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:46:21 am »

Ah, these are the kind of replies I was hoping for! I came around well after 40d11 was released, so it never occurred that the d has that sort of significance. Really, the only bugs I was talking about was the "no reassignment of nobles once they die" bug and other bugs of that magnitude, which I presume would be high on a bugfix list.

And I'm up at 3 because it's spring break; boozin it up earlier in the evening naturally leads to late-night DF playing  ;D
puppywhirrrrrrl

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:49:40 am »

Ah, these are the kind of replies I was hoping for! I came around well after 40d11 was released, so it never occurred that the d has that sort of significance. Really, the only bugs I was talking about was the "no reassignment of nobles once they die" bug and other bugs of that magnitude, which I presume would be high on a bugfix list.

And I'm up at 3 because it's spring break; boozin it up earlier in the evening naturally leads to late-night DF playing  ;D

lol fair enough good sir!  :D (unless of course your not a dude.....)

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:13:35 am »

Toady last night told us that there were more than 800 bugs that he'd been told of / noted / discovered himself for the .31 release. All of which were reported within 3 days of release.

They'll be fixed to be the best of his ability, but cut the man some slack.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:27:24 am »

Lets face it, toady most likely only gave us d2010 this early because of MASSIVE pressure. EVERYBODY wanted it out now, even though some features haven't been added yet, let alone bug been fixed, so give it time, and enjoy the prototype of a prototype.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 03:28:14 am »

The main argument I've seen is "the 40d bugs lasted 2 years and we learned to live with those; this will be the same"; however, having been a 40d player (albeit not from the beginning), I feel like these bugs are a bit more serious.
As one who have been playing for 4+ years, i have to state that its a blatant lie.
Sure bugs which were reported AFTER Toady gone on next dev cycle were not fixed. Its the way DF development works - there are maintenance cycles when Toady fixes stuff, and there are development cycles, when Toady introduces new bugs. You cant expect single developer do both. Well, you can, but developer have to have enough experience in managing releases, and have proper environment for that, including automated testing.
ALL my bug reports dated 3 years ago and older were reviewed and those bugs fixed in mere weeks.
So from previous experience, i say that we can expect at least monthly maintenance releases for following year, with all game-breaking bugs being fixed not later than june.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:34 am »

Ugh Toady's not releasing the next version* fast enough!  Ugh what do you mean he didn't fix all the bugs*?  Let me post an insulting thread about 'the actual odds of these bugs* getting fixed' and compare it to an earlier, stable build* that had had time to settle, less than a week before the new version comes out!  Ugh!

*Of an incredibly ambitious project that is in alpha.

What exactly is this thread here for other than to complain about things Toady himself has already addressed?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5