Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extract Minerals  (Read 1637 times)

MikeWulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extract Minerals
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

Is it at all possible to extract the ore or gems from a wall without digging the whole thing? It really make the place look a mess with veins running through random rooms.

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extract Minerals
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

Fraid not, you gotta tear it down and hope you get it.
oof

MikeWulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:50:00 am »

Darn, well I reakon that needs to be in the game.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 02:53:00 am »

Once rewalling is in, however, you'll be able to harvest those gems and ores and then build a plain stone wall in their stead.

Of course, rewalling may take a while, since if I understand things correctly it's a fairly major culture shock to the game engine to have buildings which get converted to terrain after completion.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 03:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MikeWulf:
<STRONG>Darn, well I reakon that needs to be in the game.</STRONG>

I'd rather have some easier way of planning things out. If I could know of the veins before I dig a path up to them, I could plan non-square rooms.

Once re-walling is in, you can just patch up the holes after the ore is out, though.

Janne )`*

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »

which reminds me... do the walls that come with buildings count towards the 7x7 cave in thing?

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »

If you mean workshops' walls, they count as open spaces for collapses.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 06:50:00 pm »

Don't forget, though:  Gems in the wall add their value to the room, and will act as a value multiplier to a dwarf that likes that sort of material.  That can easily be worth more than the single space of double-engraving you'd get by digging and rewalling them...  you just have to decide which you want more, the bonus from keeping them in the wall or the ability to use them for something else.  Don't take them out for the sake of the room, though.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 07:31:00 pm »

Generally, gems biggest value is making your legendary crafting dwarves not go insane when they need to make artifacts. If you have crafters embed gems into furniture, its a crap shoot if they put it in anything high or low quality, or even if its something worth being gem studded. I have a few gem studded floodgates that really don't do much good at all.

MikeWulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 06:48:00 am »

The value things explains why my Nobles think people are being pretentious. Other than that I am more worried about how ugly it looks rather than the value of it all.