Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Suggestion for making hunting more viable

(1/3) > >>

Riemann:
I know there are several factors involved here: the AI of the hunters, pathfinding etc... But it occured to me that one relatively simple change might make the task far better than it is now while the more extensive changes are still under construction.There already seem to be different jobs involved in hunting: killin' stuff and dragging back the corpses. If those two were split into separate entries in the labor menu I think it would make hunting far more productive.Right now I find that my hunter will kill several creatures then only bring back one corpse before going out killing again. If there was a separate dwarf whose job was to bring in the kills at least so much meaty goodness wouldn't go to waste.Of course it can sort of be done now by turning on refuse gathering outside, but that also picks up all kinds of stuff besides butcherable corpses: bones, rotten stuff, skulls etc...Basicially, if there was a job which looked for butcherable corpses, picked them up and brought them to the nearest butcher's workshop (or refuse pile that accepts them if there are no workshops) I think it would make hunting a much more viable option. And it certainly wouldn't preclude any further improvments to hunting down the road.

Pesty13480:
I don't know about you, but I don't even bother with the trapper class - I just use my military for hunting purposes and let the peasants drag the meat into the fortress for later consumption.Sure, it isn't automated. Quick exp for your killers, though.

Fleeb:
That's what I've been doing also. Any trapper immigrants are drafted right away.

karnot:
quote: If there was a separate dwarf whose job was to bring in the kills at least so much meaty goodness wouldn't go to waste.  
Technically it should be Hunting Dog's job, unless the hunter dropped an elephant or something.

Riemann:
It's the "et the peasants drag the meat into the fortress" part that I have trouble with right now. Is there any way to do with without turning on gathering of refuse outside?My problem is that on a lot of maps (at least ones that aren't stupid easy) you don't control the entire outside until very late in the game.  Turning on refuse gathering inevitably leads to hordes of peasants wandering into Gorilla armies in an attempt to pick up some bones in the far corner of the map.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version