Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Combined workshops?

(1/3) > >>

Bien:
I would like the next version to have a designation that says "Combine workshops" and like for example you place a Mason's near a Jeweler's and you designate "Combine workshops" around those two then a new workshop will appear reading "Mason's/Jeweler's workshop" and you would that it does all the things a Jeweler's shop and a Mason's shop could do.

Captain Mayday:
How would that be better?

Bien:
So maybe production times would be shorter like a dwarf finishes a door and goes to the Jeweller's shop to have it decorated so that may take a while but if you combined the workshops then he/she can do it immediately.

Haedrian:
And you'd have only 1 dwarf in there at a time?

Axehilt_VuP:
It wouldn't work well as a designation; it'd have to just be outright selecting both workshops you want combined - and then choosing the location of the combined workshop.Not sure it's a good idea.Personally I do agree with the general sentiment that there's too many workshop types.  A large raw number of workshop types doesn't really add to gameplay, but adds a fair amount to complexity (and good game design tends to be about optimizing how much fun gameplay you can squeeze out of a game without increasing its complexity.  A good designer can create deep gameplay without extraneous amounts of complexity.)The only approach I've thought of that seems viable is upgradeable workshops:
1. There is no mechanics workshop.
2. Your Mason's Workshop can be upgraded, and at level 2 it has all of the mechanic tasks available.I'm not convinced this method would improve things enough to be worth doing, but I certainly feel something could/should be done to improve the "unnecessary complexity" stuff in the game which builds up.  Perhaps all the game needs is better in-game help and things will seem less complex by default.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version