Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Survival Challenge: Roughing it  (Read 2555 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Survival Challenge: Roughing it
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:28:31 am »

Rules:
-Game is to be played with an unmodded DF 0.31.02 install (purely graphic mods permissible)
-Your Dwarves start with no skills.
-Your Dwarves start with no supplies.
-You may embark in a world and on a map of your choosing.*
-You have 5 years in-game.
-Fortresses will be compared as detailed under scoring.
-You must use the wiki to document your fortress to make the review process possible - ie, so all the documentation for a fortress is in one place.  (Put it on a page titled User:YOURNAME/FORTRESS, and linked from your user page, where FORTRESS may be the name of the fortress, related to the challenge name, or whatever - just make it clear on your user page).*
-Fortresses will be reviewed starting June 1st.  All fortresses should have their documentation on the wiki completed by that date.

*If the map has anomolous wealth, ie, from something deep within the earth, you'll have to re-embark, sorry.
*I will add links to the wiki pages next to participants names as I become aware of them.

Scoring:
There are objective and subjective arenas in which you may compete.  In addition, an overall winner will be selected.

Objective competitions will be a pure numbers comparison. 

Subjective competitions will be rated by the competitors - each competitor will create a ranked list of all fortresses beside his own for each subjective competition.  Best average ranking wins.  If you feel a fortress does not deserve to be ranked for a given category, you may give them a zero to signify no rank.  Note that you may use whatever criteria you want to determine best for a given category - one person's idea of the best constructed defense systems may be quite different than another, for example.

If a fortress doesn't survive all 5 years, use the values from immediately before fortress death for the objective competition.

Document all things you wish to be scored for.

Objective:
-Greed: Total Wealth
-Fecundity: Most children
-Opulence: Highest Architectural Wealth
-Power: Most Megabeasts or equivalents slain (Titans, Hydrae, Dragons, Forgotten Beasts, unique demons named in the legends file).
-Legendary: Most Legendary Dwarves

Subjective:
-Master of Earth: Best Non-Soldier Defense
-Master of Air: Best Military
-Master of Water: Best use of Water in a Project
-Master of Fire: Best use of Magma in a Project
-Reknowned in Song: Most Epic Overall History
-Hero of the Age: Most Epic Single Battle
-Architect of Heaven: Best Overall Mega Project

Overall Winner
-Winning a Subjective or Objective award is worth 1 pt per award won.
-1 pt. Survived 5 years
-3 pts. for building no structures in year 1 (no workshops, no (c)onstructions, etc...).
-1 pt. for embarking with no visible water source
-1 pt. for opening hidden stuff in the bowels of the earth, and killing at least one of its denizens.
-1 pt. for starting a war with the elves and suffering at least one siege.
-1 pt. for starting a war with the humans and suffering at least one siege.
-1 pt. for embarking in an evil area with abundant undead critters

Player List:
Squirrelloid
Timferius
64-Bit
Doomshifter
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:20:59 pm by Squirrelloid »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survival Challenge: Roughing it
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:21:41 pm »

I'm just curious how this is possible? I mean, you can fish and forage without equipment, but you can't dig, or build anything. you could make bone crafts, except you need stone or wood for the workshop, and you could trade, except again, you need materials for the depot. So unless I'm missing something, this is completely impossible.

EDIT: Scratch that, figured  it out, dur on me.

And on that note, I'll give it a shot. Dunno if I'll be able to make it, but I'll try. Just one more (less stupid) question, which I'm going to be vague about but spoiler anyways, just in case.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:29:59 pm by timferius »

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:50:54 pm »

You do know that all maps have HFS now right?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 01:02:04 pm »

i'm kind of confused about the wiki page but i'm in. And in which DF are we gonna play?. Can i make a Word Document?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »

Jetsquirrel: DF 0.31.02.  I'll update the OP.

Spartan: Yes, they all have it, that's sort of the point.  Just because its down there doesn't mean you have to open it - and if you open it, there are consequences.  If you do open it in 5 years and survive to tell about it, that's worth something.  I'll amend the first post to require having done something more awesome than simply opened it.

timferius: If it appears in your stocks screen before you have anyway to get to it, and its of significant value (upright adamantine sword, anyone?), then that's inappropriate.  (If its just a few objects of meat or something, then you can probably just ignore it).  If its going to happen, it should have happened immediately or at least as soon as you assign a record keeper, so you should know quickly.  (I haven't seen it happen yet, but there are bug reports...).

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:29:40 pm »

Ok, that's what I was thinking.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:46:48 pm »

Jetsquirrel: Regarding the wiki page - When you create an account you have an implicitly created user page at User:YOURNAME.  You may make links, including to non-existent pages, by enclosing any word of phrase in a bracket.  User:YOURNAME/X is a conventional notation for putting page 'X' in the "User" namespace while also associating it with your page (since X is not a user). 

The wiki explains how to create links and so on.  Once you've created the link, it'll appear red (there is no page yet).  If you click on the red link, it'll open the new page in edit mode, and you can add content to the new page immediately.

Feel free to leave a note on my talk page on the wiki if you still have questions (I am Squirrelloid there as well).

The wiki is located at: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

hopefully one of those things answered your question!

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:51:03 pm »

Hmmmmm.... Yea i'll give it a shot but ill need to do it in this week as im leaving to somewhere after that.

64-bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »

I might just get in on this, probably going to start tomorrow

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:50:14 pm »

Bump, and adding 64-bit to the roster (at least tentatively)

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:51:33 pm »

This sounds like fun, I think I'll give it a try on my own. I'm not going to compete, though. Mostly because it requires the wiki. Why aren't you using this thread, and just letting people edit their post as they go? That seems like it would be easier to follow.
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:52 am »

Hey guys sorry but due to poor time managment on my behalf i'm going to have to pull out. Sorry guys  :-\

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 03:46:07 am »

I think I might give this a try. I have no chance at winning, I play slow as hell and don't expect to contend, BUT it's worth a try!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:19:33 pm »

This sounds like fun, I think I'll give it a try on my own. I'm not going to compete, though. Mostly because it requires the wiki. Why aren't you using this thread, and just letting people edit their post as they go? That seems like it would be easier to follow.

Because then the posts are scattered throughout the thread, and people have this annoying tendency to post stupidly large screenshots (they're certainly bigger than my monitor!), and we end up with neverending posts with no way to quickly skim through them.  And of course a bunch of people will just make a bunch of update posts and never collate them into their first post, so you have to go hunting through the thread to see anything.  With the wiki not only can i conveniently link everything in the first post (which can be done for messages, i know), but the wiki auto-formats image size and allows you to make sub-headings so you can quickly skip to each thing.  The wiki also allows image uploads, so all the images are native to the wiki and we aren't dependent on some third party image site to play nice with everyone's browser.  All in all, the wiki makes for a much better format for reading lengthy fort documentation than a thread post does.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 08:19:00 am »

bumpity

Surely there are more people who want to show off their DF skillz and creativity by taking up this challenge?