Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Clean Slate on Wiki?  (Read 3739 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clean Slate on Wiki?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 09:10:46 pm »

mediawiki is evil

I wonder if the 'Dwarf Fortress Community' would qualify for a Confluence community license? ;)

Fastred

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2010, 07:18:31 am »

We could probably do that.
Also, after a few hours of work, Emi and I revised the {{AV}} template to be a bit more noticeable, visually appealing, and clear as to functionality.  Let us know what you think at http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Template_Talk:ArticleVersion

That is very nice.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2010, 07:34:09 am »

Did look,
 Didn't find.
Could just be,
 That I'm blind.
That's quite good.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:22 am »

Just to say sorry for raising this issue (though there's some consensus in the later messages, I hadn't expected the heated discussion that immediately fired up).

As should be obvious, I had been unaware of any of the lead-up discussions that had been made and the decision process[1], and maybe I wasn't as clear-sighted as I should have been regarding the whole "Current Version"/"Older versions"[2] box that I see there.

Nor am I an expert on administering and hosting Wikis, so my opinion might be worth slightly less than a pinch of salt.

(Also, my only experience with 2010, so far, is messing about with the Arena[3][4], so I can't even think about contributing to the new Wiki areas, yet, and will doubtless find nothing I can add even when I do discover something off my own back... :))

[1] I know how I would have arranged it[1b] but I'm not a Wiki authoring expert, just a user of them.

[1b] Much like you already had "As of 20d the following applies, but in prior versions ..." for the more minor changes and various depths of sections (in reverse version order) to contain differences in treatment whose scope was not confined to single sentences or paragraphs.  But I'm just saying, and can see the problems with doing this.

[2] Noticed that just now, and the only information I remembered seeing was the "This is current, please populate if empty" box.  But I probably overlooked the versioning one.  I found the D40/DF2010 namespacing difference through the "Categories: Current | Files" of one article giving both sets under the latter's listing...

[3] Including blocking the river outlet after a while, in order to flood the excavated fortress, then sending platoons of Magma Men in to dry bits of it out :)

[4] Oh yes, and aaccidentally creating an enemy Magma Man with full Steel armour was interesting.  Even lining the 'central island' wall-tops with top-shot dwarven archers made didn't slow him down, on his way past (lured by a dwarven archer who I personally controlled after he fell off into the river, and ended up both bleeding and melting when in close combat, dying soon thereafter).
Pages: 1 2 [3]