Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released  (Read 98030 times)

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.02 Released
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 02:21:27 pm »

Meat, organs, quarry bush leaves, and seeds are all now edible when cooked. This is a change not documented.
It is documented in file changes.txt. It is also in release notes.txt, though these changes are wrongly ascribed to versions 40b and 40d.

They're bugged, though - you can't *actually* eat them raw, dwarves won't touch them even if starving. Same effect if you set quarry bush leaves to be edible raw - nobody touches em. Apparently edible raw doesn't work on leaves or seeds - they work cooked, though.

On a related note, quarry bush leaves seem to be set to the wrong tile type and colored wrong.
You should report these.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 02:31:49 pm »

bronze being "better" in many cases than iron

That's one's intentional and very arguably realistic.
Wrought iron is weaker than bronze, but in the approximate technology time scale that we're looking at (with steel), iron itself *should* have surpassed bronze by large margins.

apparentbliss

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 02:36:36 pm »

Just wanted to toss on a thank you and an 'atta boy' for Toady and Footy.  Love all the new stuff, and I look at the existing bugs as a way to add FUN to the whole process.  My cook freaking out when people ate his masterpiece meals, for example, I just take as an example of a prima donna (though I do eventually want to be able to cook again >_>).

Here's to stout, humble dwarves.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 02:38:32 pm »

Should probably qualify that it is realistic for the period that Toady is aiming for, and wrought iron might be slightly more telling than just calling it "iron".  However, lets not turn this into another discussion about metallurgy...(KaelGotDwarves is a sniper poster).

I am personally very pleased with the bug-fix update a week schedule and look forward to more of the same in the near future.
Will the weapon and damage strangeness be fixed soon? :S

You're assuming that these are all bugs!  A lot of the ones I've read about are more uncomfortable differences from what we would expect than actual problems.  Maybe I haven't seen any of the big deal ones, though.

All hail Toady!
To be fair, not all of the damage and body related stuff is working correctly.  That a bronze colossus is nearly invulnerable is because the sever on break tag isn't working right due to the materiel and body rewrites.  Or how you will sometimes drown before you die from the heat of magma as an adventurer.  There are other examples of things that, although functional, are likely not working as intended in some way.  This you are ascribing to "uncomfortable differences" and many of us call them bugs or oversights.

Still, hail Toady, for his steady progress on this visionary game.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 02:51:42 pm »

I approve of the change to bronze, if for nothing else but the fact that bronze is rare because of the scarcity of bismuth and cassiterite, and the production process is more involved than iron.

adding rust or some kind of equipment maintenance could be another advantage to bronze.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »

Hey! Discussions go elsewhere. This is the place for toast-patting and back-drinking. Or something like that.

I'm glad to see Toady making some progress fixing crashes and correcting various typo errors, and don't get me wrong; it seems to me he took on the easy stuff this week, and the man deserved the break (honestly the man could have hopped off to California for the week). But looming foes threaten ahead, and our champion needs the battle-cry of the army behind him! Ourrah Toady! Ourrah Threetoe! Training schedual bugs will be crushed beneath your iron high boots! Forward!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »

Sorry, thought we're allowed to discuss things pertinent to the realease in release threads. ::) not crapping on the thread here, merely answering someone's question regarding weird metal properties on the last page.

Besides, Toady knows he has my support, I don't need to prove it to people accusing of "threadsniping", whatever that means.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:53:02 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 03:56:01 pm »

Sorry, thought we're allowed to discuss things pertinent to the realease in release threads. ::) not crapping on the thread here, merely answering someone's question regarding weird metal properties on the last page.

Besides, Toady knows he has my support, I don't need to prove it to people accusing of "threadsniping", whatever that means.

I'm pretty sure both of those remarks were tongue-in-cheek.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 03:58:27 pm »

Just covering my bases before people blow gaskets everywhere. ;)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 04:15:10 pm »

Just covering my bases before people blow gaskets everywhere. ;)

Man, I can't wait for DF to have gaskets...

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 04:38:58 pm »

Yeah, raw, pure iron is a lousy metal. It corrodes easily and is too brittle.

Doing anything to it to make it stronger usually involves turning it into steel by adding carbon.

We tend to think of bronze as weaker than iron because in our real-world history we have the "bronze age" ollowed by the "iron age." But in a way that's a misnomer... iron was known and smelted before bronze, but bronze was stronger and more reliable. The "iron age" is really the "steel age" -- when they discovered how to make iron actually useful on a consistent and practical scale.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »

So no BitTorrent download of the bugfix version? (Not that I'm complaining; just curious)

Trucidus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 04:52:12 pm »

Ok, this may or may not be the right place for this so I'll make sure it fits in in some way...

WAY TO GO!!! I LOVE DWARF FORTRESS IT'S BETTER THAN LIFE!!!!

Ok so, my question is about .31.x.  In 40d, using the mayday tileset, I got about 75-90 fps constant.  In .31.x using the mayday port, I get about 40 fps.  This is similar to the Phoebus tileset, except even worse (25-35 fps).  (Sorry if I misspelled anyone :( )

The reason I ask this here and not in the various threads for the tilesets is that .31.x vanilla also runs about 20 fps slower.  I was wondering (and while I'm not completely computer illiterate, I don't know ANYTHING about gfx) if its simply because of the opengl stuff, or if its something to do with my computer or what not.  If its just that .31.x runs slower because of opengl or more complexity or whatever, tell me how I can boost those fps?

Also, feel free to move this or delete it or whatever, I just miss my 90fps : (.

I'd prefer an emailed response, but I realize that's just being picky.  Feel free to pm or reply here but just in case you are nice...

mercubio@gmail.com

Thanks so much in advance...

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:31 pm »

So no BitTorrent download of the bugfix version? (Not that I'm complaining; just curious)

Not yet, but it's not hard to add it yourself. It's probably a good idea to start hosting new versions via bittorrent to relax Toady's server load, since he's pushing releases more frequently now that the big one is done.
!!&!!

LeegleechN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 05:09:51 pm »

Ok so, my question is about .31.x.  In 40d, using the mayday tileset, I got about 75-90 fps constant.  In .31.x using the mayday port, I get about 40 fps.  This is similar to the Phoebus tileset, except even worse (25-35 fps).  (Sorry if I misspelled anyone :( )

It's because of the openGL stuff. All you can really do is wait for it to be merged into the 0.31 line.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:11:31 pm by LeegleechN »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11