Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Indiv Eq / Squad Eq and Individual Training  (Read 26084 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Indiv Eq / Squad Eq and Individual Training
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 09:15:08 pm »

But the barracks weren't dismantled, the squad was just set to inactive.  They still have their old rooms.

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »

Be careful with archery targets too. I designated a squad to train at one while I was trying to figure out crossbows in this version. They did the dodging demonstration like in this thread, so I tried various ways to get them to to to ranged training. They eventually were switched to ranged or archery training in the "u" screen but then they don't do anything and I'm not sure how I forced them to do it. Then, when I turn them back into civilians they get the "No job" tag on the "u" screen. However, they won't do work and they don't add to my idlers. I basically had 5 dwarves standing around with "No job" and they don't add to Idlers: # at the top of the screen, and yes, I'm 100% sure I had them set correctly. I think archery/ranged training is bugged atm and makes the dwarves braindead in civilian mode if you blunder through it the wrong way like I did.

Also, I could put them back into military mode, and they just go back to dodging demonstrations at the archery target.

Hmm, I just realized I didn't have an arsenal dwarf. Does he serve a necessary purpose?

Yes, I guess he does after 20+ dwarves. That might be a possible explanation.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Arsenal_dwarf

To help clarify, marksdwarves are currently bugged.  I was able to get them to successfully train on the targets, but it's not constant, and not all of them train at the same time.  I usually had 1-3 out of my 20 training on the things, then none would train, then 1-3 of either the same dwarves or different ones would train.

As of what I've heard, and experienced, the main problem they don't train is because they either don't have quivers equipped, or they aren't picking up bolts.  The workaround for the quivers seems to be that you need to have enough quivers BEFORE you create the marksdwarf squad.  You should have try and have at least 10 more quivers than the amount of marksdwarves you want to have, to have the highest chance of them picking them up.  If you already have them designated and made enough quivers, but they don't have quivers in their inventory, then delete the squad, wait a min or two, then rebuild it.  They should then go and get their quivers.

The next step would be to get them to train.  In order for this to work to begin with, they need to have ammunition designated for them.  Be sure to make a LOT of bolts.  You should have at least 250 bolts for each marksdwarf squad in the ammunition screen, as each dwarf carries 25, and with 10 of them, they need at least 250.  Getting them to pick them up is a miracle of its own.  Don't ask how to do that, cuz I STILL have no idea, they just do it randomly.  Now, I want to make this clear.  Your marksdwarves MUST be inactive and have an archery target that they are set to train at in order to practice archery.  Whenever they are set to "Train" in the schedule, all I have ever gotten them to do is do combat/dodging demonstrations around the Target.  If set to inactive, they either just.... stand around in your meeting area with "No Job", sit in your barracks with "No Job" or "Go to Archery Practice", or they are actually at the Archery Target practicing.   If you've gotten them that far, then congratulations, you've just done something most of us DF'ers are unable to do.

As for them actually shooting at enemies, I have yet to get that to work, even though they have ammo equipped, a crossbow, and a clear view to the target, they refuse to use the x-bow.

--------Arsenal Dwarf-------

Now about the arsenal dwarf.  He is KEY, and I do mean "KEY!!!", to your entire military operation.  Your arsenal dwarf has the sole duty of assigning your military dwarves the ALL of the equipment they need, meaning weapons/armor/ammunition.  Without an arsenal dwarf, your military will end up running around with no weapons and either naked or in they're civy clothing. 

You have to set your arsenal dwarf once it becomes available.  Arsenal Dwarf makes use of the "Organization" and "Record Keeping" skills (I might have got the skills wrong, spelling wise, but they should be close to what I said).  So my advice would be, just to set your manager as your arsenal dwarf as well.  They use the same skills, and the same office requirement.

Many people usually get the arsenal dwarf option at 20 population, but it sometimes comes later, and on rare occasions, not at all, due to being buggy.  But you need the arsenal dwarf to equip your dwarves after they hit the needed cap for the option to show.  Once you have the option to designate the arsenal dwarf, your military will no longer equip itself.

Hope this clarifies things for you.  I've had a lot of experience and testing with the current version's military (due to my absolute desperation to get the darn marksdwarves to work, even though i know they are bugged.) So feel free to ask questions, and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge.  PM's work too, but why not share the knowledge on the forum. 

Yurt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 10:43:58 am »

What does the "Position" option under a barracks item do? It brings up a list of the squad assigned to the barracks and it only appears when you set the Training flag.

If I have two dwarves sitting in the barracks engaged in Individual Combat Drill are they actually doing anything? Will they move around and spill blood on the floor like when sparring in the old system?

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 11:45:15 am »

I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"

May I sig this? Pretty please?
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »

In case anyone is wondering about Hasonish's advice - this does result in a crash.

Never for me. Looks like just you.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:31 pm »

(useful information about marksdwarves)

*Stops headdesk-ing long enough to look for help on the forums*
*Finds this post*

I have to thank you, this gives me a ray of hope that I might be able to use marksdwarves now.  I'm still getting used to the new (read: crappy) effectiveness level of my troops, and have gotten my ass handed to me by a couple of 2-squad ambushes.  Now, I might stand a chance of not dying horribly in a fight, and just in time for the sieges that I've finally gotten big enough to attract :)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 11:00:24 pm »

Okay, sorry, I've been busy and away from my comp, so I missed these questions.  So lets see what I can do.

What does the "Position" option under a barracks item do? It brings up a list of the squad assigned to the barracks and it only appears when you set the Training flag.

If I have two dwarves sitting in the barracks engaged in Individual Combat Drill are they actually doing anything? Will they move around and spill blood on the floor like when sparring in the old system?

Apparently, from what I heard from others, the "Position" option lets you set what dwarf in your squad use certain bed/coffer/chest/etc.  This option isn't key to training your dwarves, so you don't have to worry about it to much, unless you REALLY want that ONE dwarf to sleep on a specific bed.

Now as for the Individual Training.  During this task, your dwarf "stands around" (seeing as we can't actually 'see' what he's doing) training up his currently equipped weapon's skill.  If he's holding an axe, he'll train as an axe dwarf, and if its a sword, it'll be a sword dwarf, and so on and so forth.  From what I can tell, this is currently the ONLY WAY to get your dwarves' fighting skills up without forcing them to fight enemies. 

When a military dwarf is set to an "inactive" squad that has a barracks set to them for training and/or sleeping, they will automatically do this "Individual Training" task.  So my advice is, leave your squads inactive in order to make them stronger.

*Stops headdesk-ing long enough to look for help on the forums*
*Finds this post*

I have to thank you, this gives me a ray of hope that I might be able to use marksdwarves now.  I'm still getting used to the new (read: crappy) effectiveness level of my troops, and have gotten my ass handed to me by a couple of 2-squad ambushes.  Now, I might stand a chance of not dying horribly in a fight, and just in time for the sieges that I've finally gotten big enough to attract :)

I'm glad I was able to help you, please feel free to ask me anymore questions about the military that you may have.
Pages: 1 [2]