Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Indiv Eq / Squad Eq and Individual Training  (Read 25093 times)

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Indiv Eq / Squad Eq and Individual Training
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:03:58 pm »

1) What do Indiv Eq and Sqaud Eq stand for?

2) How do I convince my soldiers to do individual training or sparring instead of demonstrations?  They seem to be stuck doing endless dodging demonstrations, which gets them nowhere.  By nowhere I mean that literally - many of the soldiers have been in the same squad for years and have yet to be even dabbling in any skill but dodging, and are only dabbling there.  I assume this is since the leader is only "adequate" at dodging.

Another squad (for a short time) did individual training, which got their skills up very quickly (at least comparatively; it got their skills up at all).  How do I make that happen?

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Indiv Eq / Squad Eq and Individual Training
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 07:05:29 pm »

Equipment I assume, not sure the mechanics of it though.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:07 pm »

To cancel any ongoing training, such as demonstrations, simply 'f'ree the barracks, wait for the dwarves to cancel their demonstration/training jobs, then assign the object as a barracks again. This should hopefully allow them to train something else.

On another note, I have to wonder how these dwarves train combat skills to very powerful levels just by themselves.

I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 07:51:23 pm »

I've tried that, and they always revert back to demonstrations.  Which are garbage.

Does being in a squad of one's own force individual training?  I could just make a billion squads ...

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:58:59 pm »

Lol, I'll make it easy for you.  Set them to "inactive", and thats it.  Oh, and make sure they have a barracks somewhere set to training and sleeping.  They'll all revert to civilian, and sit in the barracks and do individual training. You'll have a bunch of legendary dwarves in no time.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:02:31 pm »

In case anyone is wondering about Hasonish's advice - this does result in a crash.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:07:29 pm »

Really? I haven't had such problems. Except I don't assign them to sleep at the barracks. I have them sleep at will in their own rooms.

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »

In case anyone is wondering about Hasonish's advice - this does result in a crash.
Really?  I've been doing this for years at my fortress, and it has yet to cause a crash for me.  I've gone through a few squads as well, and having to replace them. 

How exactly did the crash happen?  I don't want to accidentally give out bad info. D=

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »

I put both squads on inactive; a few seconds later, the announcement popped up that they had switched back to their old jobs, then CTD.

They were assigned to keep uniforms on at all times and sleep in barracks at will.  Perhaps one of those is related to the problem.

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 08:17:57 pm »

Hmm, I'm not sure if those are the cause, since I always have those set.  When you say they "switched to their old jobs", do you mean something like "Urist McFlyswatter has become a Woodcutter"?

If so I get those messages all the time when they switch between  active soldier and civilian mode, usually when they switch shifts on training and patrolling, or when I give them a move/kill order and then cancel the order afterwards.  It might be something else, so I don't know. 

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:20:58 pm »

I tried it again (after losing a few hours of dwarftime) and the crash did not occur.  So, that's frustrating.

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:55 pm »

It might have been some other factor, but I wouldn't really be able to tell without a save file or anything.  If another crash happens, be sure to keep a copy of the save, and have backups so you don't lose TOO much dwarf time.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:48 pm »

It's a good idea to turn on autosave in the .init txt. Put it to seasonal, preferably.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 08:59:39 pm »

Be careful with archery targets too. I designated a squad to train at one while I was trying to figure out crossbows in this version. They did the dodging demonstration like in this thread, so I tried various ways to get them to to to ranged training. They eventually were switched to ranged or archery training in the "u" screen but then they don't do anything and I'm not sure how I forced them to do it. Then, when I turn them back into civilians they get the "No job" tag on the "u" screen. However, they won't do work and they don't add to my idlers. I basically had 5 dwarves standing around with "No job" and they don't add to Idlers: # at the top of the screen, and yes, I'm 100% sure I had them set correctly. I think archery/ranged training is bugged atm and makes the dwarves braindead in civilian mode if you blunder through it the wrong way like I did.

Also, I could put them back into military mode, and they just go back to dodging demonstrations at the archery target.

Hmm, I just realized I didn't have an arsenal dwarf. Does he serve a necessary purpose?

Yes, I guess he does after 20+ dwarves. That might be a possible explanation.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Arsenal_dwarf
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:03:34 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:47 pm »

I put both squads on inactive; a few seconds later, the announcement popped up that they had switched back to their old jobs, then CTD.

They were assigned to keep uniforms on at all times and sleep in barracks at will.  Perhaps one of those is related to the problem.

Sleep in barrack at will the dwarf will still try to find his barrack bed but since the barrack has been dismantled, null ref bam ctd
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: [1] 2