Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: General modding questions  (Read 2247 times)

lore

• Bay Watcher
  • A gamer has grown attached to a small laptop!
    • View Profile
General modding questions
« on: July 02, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »

I've been trying to make a few mods, but first I need to help on some things:
1. Where are reactions stored other than the REACTIONS_SMELTER and REACTIONS_OTHER files?
2. Any way to make thrown weapons? Right now dwarves just run up and stab each other with throwing knives.
3. Can I make a new weapon skill in any way, or do you rely on existing ones
4. Are the mechanics of combat accessible/changeable (e. g. dodging, conterstrikes...)?
5. Is There any way to make ammo disappear after being fired?
Thanks in advance!
Lore lets out a burst of laughter, squeaky and awkward!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: General modding questions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:23:08 pm »

1. If they aren't in the raw files, then they are hard-coded into the game itself.

2. Ranged weapons need to have a launcher of some sort. Like a bow is to an arrow. Throwing isn't normally used by units except for adventurers that you are playing as and tantruming dwarves.

3. You cannot create new weapon skills. Though you can change the profession names of skills for creatures. It's how dwarves are referred to as craftsdwarves instead of craftsmen.

4. You can change the attacks of individual creatures, as well as the attacks of weapons and the values of most in-game materials. Actual combat behaviour cannot be changed to my knowledge.

5. Not quite sure what you mean by this. Ammunition will always be destroyed when it is fired and lands on the same Z-level, unless it hits and gets stuck in a unit. If it is fired and falls a Z level, then it may not break when it lands.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:27:48 pm by BlackFlyme »