Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress music in piano  (Read 7620 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress music in piano
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »

Does anyone know if it's possible? I don't think anything in them is impossible on the piano, it's just getting the right notes (and you'd probably have to play on an electric piano with a guitar setting to make it sound right).

I would do it myself, but I don't know how tablatures(sp?) work.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress music in piano
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:52:52 pm »

I wholly support this. Someone help this guy!
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »

Guitar tablature is easily converted into actual notes, it just takes time.

Tabs are set up like this:
Code: [Select]
e|---0-1-----
B|-------1---
G|-------2---
D|-------2-3-
A|-------0---
E|-----------

Each line corresponds to a string on the guitar, from highest at the top to lowest. The letter is the note name that the string is tuned to, and the number is the fret that you play on that string; frets move up by semi-tones. A 0 means open-string, so a 0 on the G string is a G. Therefore a 1 on a G string is a G# and a 2 is an A, or a 12 on a D string is still a D but an octave up. Tab moves left-to-right, so it tells you the order to play the notes - multiple notes listed vertically means those are all played at once. So the example above is "E note, F note, Am chord, lower F note." If you see an 'h' or 'p' between notes, it basically just translates to 'really smooth transition.'

If you know the notes you should be easily capable of playing piano with a transposed guitar piece. If you don't want to take the time to transpose it all yourself, just plug the tab into a program like Power Tab by typing in the numbers and it'll show you the transposed notes above in proper musical style.

I don't have a link to Toady's tabs offhand, but I know he's posted them in DF General Discussion before. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them. Gotcha! http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=651.0

Huh, looks like someone already did this for one track: http://www.easy-share.com/1909505795/title%20song%20-%20page%201.jpg
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:08:55 pm by Retro »

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »

Whoa, thanks for the notes, will try, will make a vid if I come to something remotely resembling good played piece.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

JavelinD

• Bay Watcher
  • ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 03:00:22 pm »

:o very much DO WANT
Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun, Evil is good, and the first hit is free... Actually, all the hits are free... Dang, no wonder it's so addicting.

Gamegeneral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Unblogical Opinion
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »

If made in piano, do post the MIDI, please! I would like to try this on a number of synthesized instruments! Like bongos perhaps, for deep digging. And Flutes for elves.
Gamegeneral cancels Forum Post: Went insane

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:42:13 pm »

I too would like to have the MIDI.
I have access to over 500 different synthesized instruments, and it might create something interesting...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:55:52 pm »

I think I might try this out. I've got it on sheet music, but it takes me forever to transcribe them all into a midi program just because I have so much other crap installed that it craps out constantly. Also Toady never figured out the descending bits so I'm just probably going to transpose the ascending bits.

I use 8notes to transcribe tabs to sheet music, it works pretty great. http://www.8notes.com/tab/new_tab.asp

Also, I want to hear this on an fender with overdrive.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:30:38 pm »

[shameless-self-plug]
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54611.0
Open the Guitar Pro file in TuxGuitar.
Go to Print.
Uncheck everything except "Show Score" and maybe "Black and White Mode".
Print,
et voila!
MIDI file also available for those who wanted it. ;)
[/shameless-self-plug]

It would be AWESOME if somebody could do a piano version of the song with extended chords, etc.; it was composed around the limitations of the guitar. So much more could be done with it on a piano. I'd try it, but currently I'm learning it on guitar. Hey, just because I made the tab doesn't mean I know how to play it. :D

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 09:23:29 pm »

I didn't know anyone was interested in this. If it's wanted I could try to make some sheet music and post it here, then try applying my meager piano skills to it.

There's just one problem I've found so far; Toady didn't add the string tune notes to that sheet music he made.

Just looked at LoopyDood's link. Seems I won't have to make the sheet music.

EDIT 2: How the hell do you work this program

EDIT 3: This program only works for guitar tabs, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:38:33 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »

I didn't know anyone was interested in this. If it's wanted I could try to make some sheet music and post it here, then try applying my meager piano skills to it.

There's just one problem I've found so far; Toady didn't add the string tune notes to that sheet music he made.

Yes, it's only really for making guitar tabs. I instead recommend editing the MIDI file with your changes, then converting that to sheet music with this: http://www.8notes.com/midi_sheet_music/
I can't really recommend a MIDI editor as I've never used one. Check here, I suppose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MIDI_editors_and_sequencers

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:19 pm »

Yes, it's only really for making guitar tabs. I instead recommend editing the MIDI file with your changes, then converting that to sheet music with this: http://www.8notes.com/midi_sheet_music/
I can't really recommend a MIDI editor as I've never used one. Check here, I suppose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MIDI_editors_and_sequencers

Damn. I can only just read piano sheet music, I doubt I'll be able to edit MIDI (which I've never heard of before this point) into piano...

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I WON'T TRY!

EDIT1: A quick google search yielded this program which, after some poking, yielded something which looked like piano sheet music:

http://www.anvilstudio.com/

It's also free.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to go about making it sound better for piano, or turn it into actual sheet music. Hell, I don't even have a printer to print the music out on...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:13:27 pm by abculatter_2 »

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 10:16:06 pm »

Damn. I can only just read piano sheet music, I doubt I'll be able to edit MIDI (which I've never heard of before this point) into piano...

BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN I WON'T TRY!
Okay, I lied, I have done some MIDI editing. I had to use GarageBand to compose music for a music production class I took. It's very simple. Each line up represents a semitone up, the rectangles represent notes, and the length of the rectangles represent the amount of time the notes are played. The music you've composed already can be played back so you can listen.

But that's just speaking from my experience with GarageBand.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:19:07 pm by LoopyDood »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 10:25:13 pm »

Okay, so the program I editted into my last post seems like it'll be extremely useful for this, it even has a little virtual keyboard you can control with the mouse which you can edit the song with and it tells you which notes on the keyboard to press. The fact that my piano isn't next to my computer and that I can't print the music out is a problem, though I prefer playing by ear anyway.

EDIT1: Found a way to make sheet music on this program, but it costs $30.

Let's see if Google can fix this...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:35:33 pm by abculatter_2 »

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 10:42:01 pm »

Okay, so the program I editted into my last post seems like it'll be extremely useful for this, it even has a little virtual keyboard you can control with the mouse which you can edit the song with and it tells you which notes on the keyboard to press. The fact that my piano isn't next to my computer and that I can't print the music out is a problem, though I prefer playing by ear anyway.

EDIT1: Found a way to make sheet music on this program, but it costs $30.

Let's see if Google can fix this...
Export to MIDI, convert MIDI to score?
Pages: [1] 2