Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Discworld Fortress  (Read 9450 times)

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discworld Fortress
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »

If someone can provide a list of things to do, I can make it.

I've only watched cartoons and haven't read books, so I would need a list of races and animals and items and stuff with as much details as possible, better in one file/post.

Aha! You're awesome. I'll get to it. Say, would trolls, creatures with stone flesh, be possible? I assume they would, from what I know about the current DF version.
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Furioso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:16 pm »

I think this is an awesome idea!
I'm happy to do playtesting, and I can also do a bit of coding.  I don't have a vast amount of time, but I'm a great fan of the books, and this deserves to be made  :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 03:22:42 pm »

If someone can provide a list of things to do, I can make it.

I've only watched cartoons and haven't read books, so I would need a list of races and animals and items and stuff with as much details as possible, better in one file/post.

Aha! You're awesome. I'll get to it. Say, would trolls, creatures with stone flesh, be possible? I assume they would, from what I know about the current DF version.

I can even make them to have diamond teeth. You can make any organ out of anything right now. If you could make a good-organized manual on "what to include", I will spend my time making it.

P.S. A question:
Don't you mind if I use my Genesis mod as base? It adds a lot of "vital" stuff for me (joints for quadruped creatures, fun workshops, weapon rebalance, deadly arrows etc.) and a lot of "generic" stuff (like turkeys, rabbits and boars). I will just have to revert-remove DnD-specific stuff and remove excess stuff like 100+ of plants which Discworld doesn't need and then build the mod on top of it. Is it ok?

Also are you OK if I use an ascii for starters? For sure I will draw creature tiles, but I would like to leave the characters ASCII for once to allow it to be enjoyable for those who play without graphics. What do you think about it?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:29:28 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »

YAY! http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Main_Page

[EDIT] Sorry for multipost, but the existance of wiki is awesome. I am just too joyful now :P

Please make the document of the stuff you want to be included, and I will consult the wiki whenever I need additional info (like descriptions, skin colors, specific stuff etc.).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 04:03:01 pm »

How about this for the troll sprite? They are from rock, right? That "moustache/eyebrow" thing is green because it's supposed to be a moss:

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 04:06:10 pm »

Ankh-Morpork must somehow be a playable civilization.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »

I can even make them to have diamond teeth. You can make any organ out of anything right now. If you could make a good-organized manual on "what to include", I will spend my time making it.

P.S. A question:
Don't you mind if I use my Genesis mod as base? It adds a lot of "vital" stuff for me (joints for quadruped creatures, fun workshops, weapon rebalance, deadly arrows etc.) and a lot of "generic" stuff (like turkeys, rabbits and boars). I will just have to revert-remove DnD-specific stuff and remove excess stuff like 100+ of plants which Discworld doesn't need and then build the mod on top of it. Is it ok?

Also are you OK if I use an ascii for starters? For sure I will draw creature tiles, but I would like to leave the characters ASCII for once to allow it to be enjoyable for those who play without graphics. What do you think about it?

All of this is just fine, also I don't really think you need to remove the plants and such - I, for one, like more variety. I guess others' opinion would be necessary.

One VERY important question is: can there be several races in one civ? I don't mean like the beastmen entity, I mean werewolves living among human and dwarven citizens. I was thinking about it, I don't have much idea how castes work, but I hear you cannot make sub-castes, therefore either, say, vampires are an one-gender race, or we're going to need a buttload of castes, one for each gender and race combination. Which would imply common cross-species marriage, I think, and that's not too canon.
D'you see any solution to that?
I also thought that beside the races living together (I suppose an Ankh-Morporkian mix would be the playable one (oh yes, the players will be Patricians)) there should be separate werewolf, vampire (Uberwald) or human (Klatch and the rest).

I'll sit and think it over again tomorrow. You are very, very swell to take interest in my humble thread, and I thank you for that.
Please excuse my sloppy English and run-on sentences, it is pretty late and beer has taken away some of my bilinguality.

I think this is an awesome idea!
I'm happy to do playtesting, and I can also do a bit of coding.  I don't have a vast amount of time, but I'm a great fan of the books, and this deserves to be made  :D

Great  8)
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:10:11 pm »

One VERY important question is: can there be several races in one civ? I don't mean like the beastmen entity, I mean werewolves living among human and dwarven citizens. I was thinking about it, I don't have much idea how castes work, but I hear you cannot make sub-castes, therefore either, say, vampires are an one-gender race, or we're going to need a buttload of castes, one for each gender and race combination. Which would imply common cross-species marriage, I think, and that's not too canon.
D'you see any solution to that?
I also thought that beside the races living together (I suppose an Ankh-Morporkian mix would be the playable one (oh yes, the players will be Patricians)) there should be separate werewolf, vampire (Uberwald) or human (Klatch and the rest).

Civ's might as well be left alone. They can and do conquer other races, which should give a mix while still having distinctly separate cities of races that are, by and large, distrustful of each other.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »

On castes: you can have as much types of creature living together as you want, both male and female... But it will be considered a SINGLE creature of different variety. So you can have dwarves, humans and werewolves living together, but two dwarves may give a birth to a werewolf, or a human and a werewolf may give birth to a dwarf, because they are considered the same creature.

Although I don't see a problem of humans, vampires and werewolves being the same creature. Humans can become vampires and werewolves, right?

Meanwhile, do I get it right that the elves are going to be kidnapping bastards with elfstone arrows you will have to deal with?

P.S. You didn't comment on my troll graphic :(.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:19:05 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »

How about this for the troll sprite? They are from rock, right? That "moustache/eyebrow" thing is green because it's supposed to be a moss:

Looks good, sure. But I think the graphics will be the easiest thing to come by.
Civ's might as well be left alone. They can and do conquer other races, which should give a mix while still having distinctly separate cities of races that are, by and large, distrustful of each other.

Noooo. That will not suffice, if something can be done. The point of playing Ankh-Morpork would be the idea of mixed species citizens. Imagine making a Guard of your own with a troll, a dwarf and a werewolf...? I'd kill for that for sure.
Sure, in the case we leave civs alone, there'll still be mixed species to some degree. But A-M is known in the world as having the most varied inhabitants and having just as many as, say, the Empire would be plain unflavorful. (I'm pretty sure this word don't exist, but you get what I mean)
Also it would be even more exciting to wait and see what immigrants do you get  ;)
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

GregHayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.opengameforge.org
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 04:33:23 pm »

Meanwhile, do I get it right that the elves are going to be kidnapping bastards with elfstone arrows you will have to deal with?

P.S. You didn't comment on my troll graphic :(.

The elves are more Sealed Evil In A Can than a constant threat, but liberties are always permissible, especially since they're some of the more popular villains.

The troll graphic is great.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »

I am ok with "interbreeding" too, we do not have exact sexual contact, you can just imagine that they adopt a baby.

But I think the graphics will be the easiest thing to come by.
But good graphics is something hard to make :). I spend a lot of time finding shapes and trying different images to make something to look at least decent.

Human/vampire (I tried to make them smaller in comparison to the troll):

The elves are more Sealed Evil In A Can than a constant threat
Well, what about high triggers, so you get them only when you are very wealthy (so they start to be envious of your city being better than their).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:46:10 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 05:06:26 pm »

Sure, in the case we leave civs alone, there'll still be mixed species to some degree. But A-M is known in the world as having the most varied inhabitants and having just as many as, say, the Empire would be plain unflavorful. (I'm pretty sure this word don't exist, but you get what I mean)
Also it would be even more exciting to wait and see what immigrants do you get  ;)

It's really the only city that does that, so I guess it's thematic if you only build one fort in a region. I'd rather have a choice of building a Dwarf or Werewolf or Troll only fort.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 02:22:24 am »

On castes: you can have as much types of creature living together as you want, both male and female... But it will be considered a SINGLE creature of different variety. So you can have dwarves, humans and werewolves living together, but two dwarves may give a birth to a werewolf, or a human and a werewolf may give birth to a dwarf, because they are considered the same creature.

Although I don't see a problem of humans, vampires and werewolves being the same creature. Humans can become vampires and werewolves, right?

Arg, that's what I expected. I think it'll be fine enough, though - like you said, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and say the couples are adopting.
I worry more about trolls marrying werewolves and other such monstrosities. Or perhaps if they have sufficiently different personalities in the raws they would not romance? Worth testing.
And you're partly right about humans, vamps and weres. In Discworld, vampires can both be born and "turned" by other vampires (I'm not sure if not only by the born vampires). And about werewolves, they breed with humans fine. Read up in the wiki, they explain better than I can.

But I think the graphics will be the easiest thing to come by.
But good graphics is something hard to make :). I spend a lot of time finding shapes and trying different images to make something to look at least decent.

Human/vampire (I tried to make them smaller in comparison to the troll):

The elves are more Sealed Evil In A Can than a constant threat
Well, what about high triggers, so you get them only when you are very wealthy (so they start to be envious of your city being better than their).

Awesome! But hey, the 7 inch tall Disc gnomes should be a few pixels big then.

Elves are living in another dimension, together with their fanciful livestock such as unicorns. They are alien-minded, cruel, and treat other beings like a little boy who burns ants alive using a magnifying glass. They make vanilla gobbos look like care bears in comparison.
Oh, I got an idea - how about they are the HFS?

It's really the only city that does that, so I guess it's thematic if you only build one fort in a region. I'd rather have a choice of building a Dwarf or Werewolf or Troll only fort.

That's not an serious issue. You can always switch around the CIV_CONTROLLABLE tag, can you not?

Deon - are you able to make golems work? They are a pretty important part of Discworld, I suppose, and having them as a really expensive CAN_LEARN and CAN_SPEAK pet would be great. In such case, could one assign labors to them?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:24:07 am by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 04:19:09 am »

HFS is now randomly generated, and I don't see elves living in caves. I know they live in a different dimension and may come only through portals, but I also know that they are glamour, evil and very jealous of others' success. Thus a late-game elf raiding party may be appropriate (to show that they were pissed off by YOU being better) and fun.

Also elves are known for kidnapping, so this DF behaviour is even more "realistic".

That's not an serious issue. You can always switch around the CIV_CONTROLLABLE tag, can you not?
Yeah, it would be easy to make a mod with all races different and then mod in a playable race with all the critters as castes.

Awesome! But hey, the 7 inch tall Disc gnomes should be a few pixels big then.
Why not. Also you have to draw dragons and giants on the same 16x16 so the relative size is not THAT important, I just tried to make it clearer what is bigger and what is smaller than an average size (I consider humans to be "average").

I've got your email but haven't got anything yet from you. :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5