Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

When Dwarves attack...

(1/2) > >>

20,000leeks:
This might sound a little odd, but maybe there should be some way to restrain the untold damage that a single crazed dwarf can do.For example, in my most recent fortress (and it was a good'n - I had individual coffin niches with a statue of each dwarf or pet, as well as a fantastically engraved trade depot area), I had a few farming areas situated on the cave river. Winter came and went, and I pulled the levers to get ready for the new year's planting. Unfortunately, one of my other dwarves went stark raving mad for want of a particular ore (this happened about four times in this particular fortress). So I'm overseeing my bearded workers clearing rubble for a new barracks, when all of a sudden water starts rushing up the tunnels towards them. Consulting with my dwarven supervisors, it appears that a naked dwarf babbling about giant green anteaters opened the door of a flooded farm plot... and the rest is history.So, my suggestion is thus - would it be possible to have some way to confine insane dwarves? Obviously not confine in a 'chain to the wall' style, but if it were possible to define a... sanitarium room. Possibly dwarves with health care would periodically take food and water to them. Maybe there could be a slight chance of a remission.I know something vaguely like this is already possible through locking the door to the workshop a dwarf is in, but that's kind of... cold. Besides, forcing the player to care for unproductive dwarves might make the game a little more challenging, especially if it occurred early on in the fortress.

Pesty13480:
I don't see how that would make the game any more difficult as I would just keep on doing what I normally do when a dwarf seems to be at risk - leave the dogs fix him if he gets hostile.

Pesty13480:
Equally, what's with all the people who want to sanitize the game of all the bad things you can do?Nannies, I tell you.

Solara:
quote:Originally posted by 20,000leeks:
<STRONG>
I know something vaguely like this is already possible through locking the door to the workshop a dwarf is in, but that's kind of... cold. </STRONG>Hey, it's your job keep that fortress running, and sometimes you've got to make tough decisions for the common good. All of my workshops have doors for a reason...I agree that a hospital of some sort where dwarves had a chance of recovering would be nice, (maybe with some sort of new noble as a requirement) but when you're dealing with someone that's stark raving mad, chains might be the only option.  Asking them to lie down like a good dwarf and do what the nice doctor tells them to do isn't likely to cut it.[ November 17, 2006: Message edited by: Solara ]

SnowWhite:
Huh.  A Noble Psychologist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version