Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let people choose a 1x1 embark site  (Read 2766 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let people choose a 1x1 embark site
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:50:08 am »

Seriously, just make it an option. :D 1x1 embarks seem pretty cool, especially now.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let people choose a 1x1 embark site
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:33:24 pm »

Try http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21601.0
Sounds like it still works for setting 1x1, the error it throws up has to do with the site finder

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:16 pm »

Yeah I knew there was a utility. It should be a simple change to allow 1x1 forts in the game tho without needing a special program. :)
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:57:22 pm »

The utility doesn't work for me, so I support this, Although I don't play 2010 yet so I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:55:38 pm »

no point making something that has already been implemented , and who the hell would want to play a 1x1 Embark Site? for Fun , maybe , but most of us here don't need goblins teleporting inside your fortress

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:56:56 pm »

no point making something that has already been implemented , and who the hell would want to play a 1x1 Embark Site? for Fun , maybe , but most of us here don't need goblins teleporting inside your fortress

For other purposes. Like making an equipment dump site for adventurers, just outside of that town over there.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 01:58:15 am »

Nano sites have great FPS, so that is reason enough.

Being extremelly constrained by map is also fun :)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 11:35:09 am »

Nano fortresses are fun challenges. Invariably your fortress ends up as a single gigantic tower as you must build vertically due to the very limited real estate.

Also your FPS goes through the roof with a nano fortress. With a nano fortress and 150 dwarves, tons of animals, and even flowing liquids I can get above 250 FPS.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

I'd like to see this possible in the vanilla game, I see no reason why it shouldn't be added. Has Toady ever mentioned why the 22 limit is in place?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 03:13:01 pm »

I also support this functionality being added to the game itself.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:24:36 pm »

Me to, it's not like it would take much work, since Nano Fortress does it easily.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:45:50 pm »

Me to, it's not like it would take much work, since Nano Fortress does it easily.
yes it does but not with the graphical merge (at least in 40d series it haven't worked after the graphical change) and surprisingly there are people who like to play it (myself included) i feel lost on something bigger then 1x1 :S
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 05:38:38 pm »

While we're at it, how about enabling (through an init option or whatever) the 'embark anywhere' effect (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21351.0) for those of us who like the challenge of starting in the middle of the ocean and instantly drowning? (or in the middle of a mountain range, but that's not as challenging)

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 07:38:42 pm »

While we're at it, how about enabling (through an init option or whatever) the 'embark anywhere' effect (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21351.0) for those of us who like the challenge of starting in the middle of the ocean and instantly drowning? (or in the middle of a mountain range, but that's not as challenging)
This would be neato but should probably be a thread of its own  It's closer to cheating than this modification, and the whole hoopla around it will probably derail this thread if people pick it up and run with it. ;)

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 11:11:20 pm »

I support this simple idea because it'd be good for a few players and have no negative effect on anyone.  I'd like to have an embark warning on sites below 3x3 though, just to make sure newbies know that they're going to be limiting themselves this way.