Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time-based Production  (Read 1087 times)

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time-based Production
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:44:52 pm »

Some trades involve setting a product out for a long peice of time before work can commence.  Examples include:

-Drying/Baking lumber
-Drying/Baking bricks
-Drying/Baking wooden staves (for bows, spears)
-Smoking meat
-Brewing alcohol
-Tanning leather
-Dying cloth
-Growing food

These processes take extended periods of time in which the craftsdwarf wouldn't be present (like farmdwarves).  I suggest that certain tasks involve the passage of extreme ammounts of time before they can be completed.  On the negative side, the stress to micromanage would increase as the user would need the foresight to begin production of certain things before they are actually needed.  However on the positive side, different superqualities can then be implemented based on how long something "brews".  Most prominently alcohol and leather would increase in alcohol content and become stiffer respectively.

Also, bricks from materials not requiring picks should be implemented (though suggested before), and should require long-term baking

I find it hard to believe that I was the first one to have a problem with instabrewing alcohol, alas I am only a white-belt in search-fu and I couldn't find another thread.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Time-based Production
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:29:07 pm »

I like this idea. An example of a change I'd like if this was implemented is smelters smelting larger batches than currently. In play, dwarves who work in certain workshops would only need to be present at the beginning and end of each action, in the time between they could be filling or emptying other similar workshops.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

fluffyblacksword

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Time-based Production
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 07:15:45 am »

On the one hand, I like the increased complexity. On the other, I'm twitchy about making lumber in your initial loadout compulsory.