Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: SUSPENDED LAVA THRONE ROOM CHALLENGE  (Read 21044 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: SUSPENDED LAVA THRONE ROOM CHALLENGE
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 12:51:46 pm »

Can't join in the FUN, sadly, but I will be watching this contest. The sheer dwarvenliness of it means guaranteed awesomeness.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 01:32:55 pm »

Oh yeah, now this is a true contest. And I've got a really nice idea for it. Tee hee hee!
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 05:21:06 pm »

This'll give me something to do in Dwarf Fortress. Count me in.

Rainseeker: Outta curiosity, is pumping the magma somewhere else allowed?
Sounds like fun.  I'm not going to start a whole new fortress just for this challenge but if I happen to come across any magma I'll be sure to sign up.

You won't need to pump any magma, the idea is to dig downwards until you hit magma at the "earth core," which is now on every embark, so anyone can do this on any map. :D
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 06:06:40 pm »

No, I know about the magma seas. I was thinking more along the lines of possibly doing something like pumping the magma to the surface on a glacier and making a cool throne room by doing something like that.

Not sure I would even if we're allowed to, but I figured I'd ask.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 06:49:38 pm »

I dont mean to be the asshole here, but i think you mean Suspended MAGMA Throne Room.  otherwise, the only solution is a throne room suspended above a caldera.  which would bypass the caverns (and mining) entirely, completely voiding the spirit of the challenge.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2010, 06:55:34 pm »

So like this right? Not allowed to Carve out amusing shaped throne rooms, but must (C)onstruct them above a pre-existing body of magma?
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »

Hmm, sounds fun! I shall try my best!

Does it still count if my army of willing morons dwarfs manage to construct a great stone pillar through the magma and construct on top of that?

I don't know how you would do that, but if you could manage that would be okay.  Keep in mind that there are "critters" in the magma, and that the throne room needs to connect to the rest of your fortress somehow.  :)

Oh yea, easy! Been doing it since I was a only a dabbling fortress builder! As for connecting to the fortress, well thats just another way to show off, rather then a challenge!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 07:42:00 pm »

So like this right? Not allowed to Carve out amusing shaped throne rooms, but must (C)onstruct them above a pre-existing body of magma?

No, I don't care about carving.  The main point here is that it's near the center of the earth (translation: near the bottom of the z-axis), suspended above magma, not floating on the surface.  The goal of this is to get people to tell stories of their exploits to the center of the earth, and the challenges they faced on the road down there.  :)

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Fish of Muu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 08:01:54 pm »

The goal of this is to get people to tell stories of their exploits to the center of the earth, and the challenges they faced on the road down there.  :)

Spoiler: Dinosaurs.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 08:39:21 pm »

Ah, so bonus points for a dramatic story that loosely relates to gives an exact recount of what happened?

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 12:53:06 am »

This is actually how I built a couple of my forge complexes -- the primary forges and smelters were built over a constructed floor hung suspended over the sea of magma. The access to the rest of the fort were staircases carefully cut (or walled-in) away from caverns.
"Extinction is not an option."

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 02:03:09 am »

Ah, so bonus points for a dramatic story that loosely relates to gives an exact recount of what happened?

Yes, this would be quite entertaining.  A short paragraph describing the hardships and triumphs on the way to building the throne room would likely help your case.  Remember - you are being voted for by your peers and the community at large.  I would think that the entertainment factor should be a consideration in this particular challenge.  :)

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 11:28:16 am »

Does the "short paragraph" need to be short? Or even a paragraph?

Basically, can I write a story as long as I still have a throne room over lava?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 01:15:09 pm »

Any story you tell should be quickly and easily read and should demonstrate your actual experience.  People won't vote for you if they get tired of reading.  Screenshots of the story in progress may be provided if desired, but keep them inside a spoiler alert so we don't overwhelm the thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 01:51:33 pm »

I might do this. Might. Small probability. Quite very small.

You say there's always magma if you go down far enough? You mean half-molten rock?
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7