Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Interconnected community pixel art  (Read 12804 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Interconnected community pixel art
« Reply #255 on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:27 am »

If we do another, I vote for another land-based one. There's not really all that much variety in space.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 16, 2010, 12:58:29 am »

The many makers of star trek would disagree with you.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2010, 01:06:18 am »

Almost all of science fiction disagrees with that.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2010, 01:51:02 am »

Discounting alien worlds, we have various aliens, starships, and a VAST emptiness. Oh, and maybe some space beasts.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2010, 05:25:08 am »

There's also the Warp from the Warhammer 40k universe. Also galaxies and the like, those are spectacular. We also can't forget the assorted mystical things that are usually placed up there, mostly gods, angels, and constellation monsters. There is nothing stopping us from cramming "space" full of just as much as we crammed into the first one.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 16, 2010, 05:28:05 am »

I think we shouldn't care about perspective. Look at the current picture. The difference in perspective doesn't make it less awesome, it adds to the freedom of everyone claiming a square. If we have a predefined perspective the picture will be much blander (more bland?) and we will lose a great degree of randomness and variety, which, in myopinion, is bad. I'd say the only rules are still that your picture has to be 64*64 and connect to the ones next to it.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #261 on: July 16, 2010, 10:36:30 am »

Decisions include:

-Palette?
-Animation? (If yes, palette is limited to 255 colours by the requirement of using gif)
-Perspective? (top-down, isometric, side view, mixed, etc?)
-Theme, if any?
-Size of overall image?
-Size of individual images?
-Who will run it? (I could again, but don't mind if someone else does)
-Any other questions that might need an answer?

Also, with the isometric one, consider transparency and layering:
For example, someone makes an industrial metalic factory, someone else makes a rocky slope. Then, a third person can make a train between them, possibly animated. This, if done well, could have a neat effect. Simlarily, an animated thematic link between all contributions would have a neat effect, although make it harder to add to.
Eh?
Eh!

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 16, 2010, 10:56:12 am »

I think we shouldn't care about perspective. Look at the current picture. The difference in perspective doesn't make it less awesome, it adds to the freedom of everyone claiming a square. If we have a predefined perspective the picture will be much blander (more bland?) and we will lose a great degree of randomness and variety, which, in myopinion, is bad. I'd say the only rules are still that your picture has to be 64*64 and connect to the ones next to it.

I agree, goddamnit*!

*not really sure why I felt the need to cuss...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 16, 2010, 11:39:28 am »

Decisions include:

-Palette?
-Animation? (If yes, palette is limited to 255 colours by the requirement of using gif)
-Perspective? Whatever is drawn
-Theme, if any? No theme
-Size of overall image? 512x512
-Size of individual images? 64x64

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 16, 2010, 11:52:22 am »

-Palette? Whatever each artist wants
-Animation? No
-Perspective? Whatever is done, just like the first one
-Theme, if any? Whatever is done, just like the first one
-Size of overall image? 8 blocks by 8 blocks
-Size of individual images? 64x64
-Who will run it? I don't care who does
-Any other questions that might need an answer? I can't think of any now
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 16, 2010, 12:44:58 pm »

personnally, i think the previous image with its 64x64 was a good format.
leaving the themes to each tile artists is a good idea.
But some concern for connection should be done, in the previous completed project some tiles made it impossible to get a nice connection. That should be a focus of the next project in my opinion.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #266 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:44 pm »

Oh, what the hell. Let's stick to the same format we were working with. It turned out well.

Now, if someone can commit the time to render the last one hi-res and full color. I sense tons of photoshopping and some 3D rendering would be involved.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 18, 2010, 01:51:44 am »

I'm still hoping for a version that gives memorial attributions to those involved.

My vote generally follows all before it, except:
 Animated? Yes.
 Theme? Using the top of the last image as the start. Potentially space flavored.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2010, 04:45:48 am »

I would say that animated would be nice, but I (and no doubt many others) would be unable to produce such things. It must therefore be clarified: are you saying that animation should be optional, or neccesary?

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2010, 05:19:13 am »

The first one had many different file types, but using .gif limits the number of colors possible. Although I can't tell what was lost in the composite, from such.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19