Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 399699 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »

This is a thread to explore and develope modding--and modder skills--starting with the basics, under the new 0.31.+ version of DF.

Everyone is welcome to ask questions (please do!), and to contribue to the answers. I'm new to 0.31.+ just like everyone else, so I'll be learning along with you.

The primary idea here is to come up with a kind of beginner modder's workshop, as well as some kind of decipherable lessons on different facets of modding, that I/we can then present to the community at large, as a reference for anyone wanting to get into modding DF, and then moving into more advanced studies.

Secondarily, I/we'll be creating a reference databank for the modding tools themselves, with easy-to-follow instructions on how to use and modify each field and item in the RAWs.
Along with this, time and interest allowing, I/we'll be developing a basic and general, but more robust, mod, to go along with this workshop, the goal of which will be to expand creatures, reactions, and items, only so far as to give us a more complete, balanced, and well-rounded--but still very Vanilla-like, experience.

In other words: a heavily explained and documented, not-too-ambitious modding project, that should serve to introduce/familiarize basic concepts, while circumstantially filling in some gaps.

The focus will be on working with, and helping potential modders, learn the skills they need to be successful. The goal is to make modding DF as straightforward and easy to learn an experience as is possible.

PLEASE NOTE: You're welcome and encouraged to ask questions and have discussions, as long as you don't cause disruptions to the thread, or any added difficulty for anyone trying to learn. Harassment of any kind, trolling, etc. won't be tolerated in this thread. Please also keep Off-Topic conversations to a minimum level-there's plenty of other threads to go to for that.

(I'm also not promising I'll always have all the answers. While I am committing myself to you to do my best to track down whatever information is needed, and then to explain it in terms I can understand--which means terms an ungifted circus monkey should be able to follow--I'm hoping that whatever I don't know, which is and will likely remain a lot, that the community at large can help us to learn. I'm also not above PMing ToadyOne directly for anything we can't figure out on our own, but I consider that a last, desperate recourse.)

**I'll use and modify this space, to keep track of lesson plans, announcements, and just keeping track of where the workshop and mod are. Also, as long as there's room in the OP, I'll put atleast the titles of any reference materials that have been developed, here, and then the works themselves will either be SPOILERED, for ease of viewing, or I'll just list the titles, and where the materials can be found.**

For now, I'll be starting with a detailed exploration of the Creature Raws, since I figure these are something we can build on, and everyone use, right away in the Arena. In other words, hands-on and Fun!

Please feel free to PM me concerning this thread/modding in general--especially if you've got any questions that noone else has answered yet.

Again, I can't guarantee that I'll have answers, but I will try to find them. Please also keep in mind that I possibly might be more slow and/or less accurate, than other sources of information.

After all--I'm learning too!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:25:42 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »

Creature Raws: Under Construction-This will take me some time to set up, as I'm gathering information.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:36:26 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »

Count me in.  I think I have a good grasp of the creature, item and tissue raws, so I should be able to offer some answers.
Also known as Zuhayr.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:27:47 pm »

as i wait for a help on tissues and mat relation, i'll toss in a few tissue specific questions.

[stylable] sounds self explanatory specially when it's semi explained in the dwarf creature file by a toady note. but what does [cosmetic] do exactly or stand for?

shape modifier is likely just for looks but i'm hoping it does something else...

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 04:38:58 am »

The section I'm working on above is obviously very much a work-in-progress. The Dwarf Fortress Wiki is also under construction, and they seem to have temporarily removed most of their information, so unfortunately I'm going to have to piece things together mostly from memory, and whatever I can find.

There's also plenty that I don't know about, plenty that's new, so that will take time and research.

If anyone wants to help, you're welcome to. There's a lot of questions to be answered.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 05:50:16 am »

Let me try to help you with something.

I was unable to make a freezing breath using "common sense", but a lot of testing showed that THIS works.

Note that numbers are arbitrary and further tests may be needed to get specific results, however it works in general, and quite nicely.

Also, to address slow training of crutchwalking, medical skills and unability to normally specify military training skills (sometimes they train some really unneeded stuff or just stand watching) let me show you:
✖ Dwarven ❤ Healthcare ✖ [ϟ MINIMOD ϟ]
Example of a working training dummy and where to add the code
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 08:44:44 am »

Sir,
    [VERMIN_EATER] gives a vermin the ability to eat your food, it's [VERMINHUNTER] that gives it cat behaviour (it also makes them adopt dwarves, and I think a few other things that escape me at the minute).

Deon, that'll be a liquid at room temperature, won't it?

EDIT: To avoid a double post, I'll add this in here

I've been playing with the elephant to try and make it a bit more realistic and dangerous. Since most elephants aren't rampaging monsters, I made a new caste of "rogue elephants".

My problem is the tusk goring. I've made it their main attack, but it seems really underwhelming (for the creature's size) as though they're just whacking each other with them, instead of trying to spear enemies. Does anyone know how I can make it more like a stabbing attack that'll pierce flesh and organs? Obviously they're not razor sharp, but I'm fairly certain an elephant could put its tusk through a dwarf.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:03:36 am by Lancensis »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:49 am »

I believe it's intended to be a vapor breath attack, which is supposed to be liquid.

But holy crap it works, I don't know why it works, but it works.  It had a weird delayed effect, but my guinea pig dwarf eventually died from frostbite wounds.  I've been trying since release to get a coldbreath working and it just refused to work.  I am going to steal this now for my own diabolical purposes :D

[application]
I will also attempt to help answer questions. Been creature modding since 2D, and modded just about everything else at least once since then.  For this version I have already done some fancy looking caste related stuff for my fortress race.

Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)
[/application]

@Lancensis try adding [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE] to the gore attack.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:09:34 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 10:36:00 am »

@SirHoneyBadger: you've said that a fluffy wambler is 2/3 the size of an adult dwarf. Actually they're 2/3 the size of a BABY dwarf.

I'll post a creature I've created. For anybody who's read the Novels of Niflheim series, they're supposed to be a bit like raudren. I think they're a bit over-powerful so far, four of them can take down a dragon with reasonable certainty (and these are my own, slightly buffed dragons)!

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:RAVENA]
[DESCRIPTION:A large flying creature resembling a manta ray. It is extremely deadly and only found deep underground.]
[NAME:ravena:ravena:ravena]
[CASTE_NAME:ravena:ravena:ravena]
           [ARENA_RESTRICTED]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:ravena young:ravena young]
[CREATURE_TILE:'R'][COLOR:5:0:0]
[FLIER]
[SPEED:800]
[PETVALUE:300]
[PET_EXOTIC]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:40]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:6]
[BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:3:4]
[BENIGN]
[NATURAL][NOSTUN]
[EXTRAVISION]
[PREFSTRING:deadliness]
[PREFSTRING:piercing screams]
[BODY:BODY_WITH_HEAD_FLAG:TAIL:TAIL_STINGER:2LUNGS:HEART:THROAT:GUTS:ORGANS:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:MOUTH:LARGE_MANDIBLES:RIBCAGE:2WINGS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS_THIN:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:BODY_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS:HAIR]
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HUMANOID_RIBCAGE_POSITIONS]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
[TENDONS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[LIGAMENTS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SINEW:200]
[HAS_NERVES]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:ICHOR:LIQUID]
[CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[GETS_WOUND_INFECTIONS]
[GETS_INFECTIONS_FROM_ROT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:PUS:LIQUID]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:40000]
[BODY_SIZE:2:0:100000]
[BODY_SIZE:5:0:200000]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:97:99:100:101:103:125]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:96:97:98:100:102:105:120]
[MAXAGE:10:20]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:VENOM:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen ravena venom]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen ravena venom]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:ravena venom]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:ravena venom]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling ravena venom]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling ravena venom]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:ravena sting]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:RAVENA:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_FEVER:SEV:40:PROB:90:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_NAUSEA:SEV:60:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_DIZZINESS:SEV:50:PROB:95:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_PAIN:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_SWELLING:SEV:50:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_OOZING:SEV:40:PROB:80:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_BRUISING:SEV:50:PROB:90:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:200:PEAK:500:END:1000]
[CE_BLEEDING:SEV:30:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:100:PEAK:250:END:600]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:30:PROB:30:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:LOCALIZED:VASCULAR_ONLY:START:300:PEAK:450:END:1000]
[ATTACK:BITE:CHILD_BODYPART_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BY_CATEGORY:MANDIBLE]
[ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
[ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:80]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:100]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK:STING:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:STINGER]
[ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:sting:stings]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:2]
[ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:50]
[ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:LIQUID:80:100]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[CASTE:MALE]
[MALE]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:TAUPE_PALE:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]

open to improvements to the name!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:39:06 am by Lord Urist »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:00:48 pm »

Hmm... I think I'll help out with this, of course I have not done any modding other then making my dwarves goddly with no eat drink or sleep. I'm going to do some more modding, firstly with buildings and reactions all these new tags are confusing me. Once I figure them out I will post my findings

Vinsombra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »

Perhaps one of ya'll more experienced modders woiuld be able to tell me a way to create/fish/add shells in the new version?  95% of my embark sites are completely barren of fish and turtles, which while not game breaking, is very annoying when every other moody dwarf demands shells.  There's no fish in ponds, no fish in rivers, never any fishing in caverns.  I've tried to make turtles dwarven pets so I could request them from the merchants, which somehow eliminated the dwarven race because from there on all my embarks were humans.  I've tried putting shell tags on cows and butchering them, which simply didn't work.  I've tried adding shell creation reactions to existing smelting recipies, which failed, I tried making a shell creation stand alone reaction and recreating a new world, which also didn't work.  I'm probably doing each of these things wrong, either that or shells are supposed to be more rare than diamonds & HFS in this version...  (although I CAN make a reaction to create diamonds & HFS...)   Please help.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »

I hear alot about reactions for shells and bones and such not working the way they used to.

[PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:TURTLE:TURTLE]
or
[PRODUCT:100:1:SHELL:NO_SUBTYPE:SHELL_TEMPLATE:TURTLE]

Might work, but I haven't tested it.

Failing that, according to the wiki vermin can be created with [PRODUCT:100:1:VERMIN:NO_SUBTYPE:TURTLE:TURTLE]
if the first one fails you may be able to surround a custom workshop with animal traps and set a dwarf to do a reaction that creates turtles on repeat in the workshop.  Hopefully you'll get trapped turtles doing that.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 02:09:12 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 03:42:28 pm »

My problem is the tusk goring. I've made it their main attack, but it seems really underwhelming (for the creature's size) as though they're just whacking each other with them, instead of trying to spear enemies. Does anyone know how I can make it more like a stabbing attack that'll pierce flesh and organs? Obviously they're not razor sharp, but I'm fairly certain an elephant could put its tusk through a dwarf.
Add [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE] to the goring attack, it will change a lot.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 04:09:21 pm »

Thanks for the interest and advice, everybody.  ;D

One thing seems pretty certain to me---to get answers, we're going to have to run some tests. I think even ToadyOne would have to run tests, atleast until all the obvious bugs are cleared up, which probably won't be for another month or more, I'm guessing.

Would anyone like to be a tester for the thread? It'll probably be a lot of work, but you'll probably learn a lot, too, and I'll stick your name up on the OP, so you'll get recognition for your efforts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 357