Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 399636 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 09:21:17 am »

That I just recently started messing with.  Materials are a very basic "what is it made of"  Like iron or bone.

Tissues have a few other details added.  Like how thick it is when used as a layer, whether it has any pain sensors, whether it can be set like a bone when broken and other such things.  Hopefully somebody else has more information on that.  I only used it to create a metal like scythe bodypart that removed most of what tissues can do so far.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:14 am »

Stargrasper: Can reactions operate without any input of raw materials? Could that be the reason the reaction isn't working? If not--if it's spitting out items anyway, seemingly randomly--could there be some kind of time-delay factor at work?

Actually yes, you are allowed to have reactions without reagents.  My testing has demonstrated this unequivocally. To test exactly that, I wrote reactions to spit out wood, fuel, and obsidian.  The wood and fuel worked after a big of tweaking.  The obsidian, like the glass, didn't work at first and then randomly decided to start working after I went to test something else.  In fact, it was the glass I had gone to try testing when the obsidian randomly decided to start working.  And then when testing something else, the glass reaction started working for no apparent reason.  Both obsidian and glass started working for no apparent reason.  It was after I'd stopped working on them that they started functioning.  I can't figure out what the system is doing to detect these things.

What's seemingly random is whether or not the reactions will appear in the workshop list or job manager.  Further testing on my part has yet to demonstrate consistent behaviour.  Given that it is no longer the weekend and I have A LOT of work during the week, I won't be able to do extensive testing, but I'll see what I can do.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 10:32:21 am »

Okay, I got everything to work. Molten obsidian blood, redacted bones, nobody's spontaneously combusting.
It's working pretty much like it should. Nobody ever hits them with the same sword twice*. Melting faces is fun.
Turns out your punches hit pretty darn hard when your bones are made of redacted -
Eight of them just took out a Bronze Colossus in a wrestling match. Of course, if they'd had any weapons, they'd have melted in their grasp just like the colossus, so maybe weapons wouldn't have changed much.

*unless it's raining, since then the magma is instantly washed off of the blade before transferring any heat. Bug?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 10:39:20 am »

Soul4hdwn: Where does the term "cosmetic" appear in the RAWs? I'm missing it...
it's in the tissue_template.txt  stylable seems to be linked with the creature physical appearance stuff.   but i'm stumped on costmetic, tag.

@sonerohi:  there's TWO places for raws. the normal location then an extra set in the save folder, that is the one that needs to be edited to "work" for an existing fortress/world.  two people already said the tags you wanted.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 11:38:00 am »

Ive got only a couple things to work out before I can release my mod to the public. One of them being an issue of used animals.

How do I get a modded in civ to use a separate modded in creature for merchants, wagon pulling, food source and most importantly: mounts they use during a seige?

Currently, I gave the modded entity all the "common_domestic_x" tags as well as "use_evil_animals". So, if I give the modded animal [EVIL], they will only use that (which is what I want)?

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:59 am »

Perhaps you should make a section of the wiki for modding dwarf fortress? Or a seperate wiki in itself?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »

Currently, I gave the modded entity all the "common_domestic_x" tags as well as "use_evil_animals". So, if I give the modded animal [EVIL], they will only use that (which is what I want)?

yes they will, that sort of thing works/worked the same as the old version(s). an entity will use whatever animals you give them with the tags but plus the general ones for whatever biome they exist in or from.  a mixture of both can make a specific animal you want them to use.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 12:18:20 pm »

Perhaps you should make a section of the wiki for modding dwarf fortress? Or a seperate wiki in itself?

There's a modding section of the wiki already.  It even has a link off the main wiki page.  There just isn't a heck of a lot in it because the new version that changed a lot of things literally just came out.  We're still trying to figure out modding the new version, must less documenting it.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:02 pm »

Ideas, ideas.

Let's see, which of this is easy, which might work, and which is madness?

Workshop: Breeding pen

Base function:

A dwarf with Animal Caretaker job brings a female and a male pet of the same species to the workshop:

-> ... with the female one becoming pregnant in the process ...
----> ... with a chance value (say, of 50%)
----> ... by the specific male brought to the workshop
----> ... with a chance of injury to either if the dwarf isn't skilled enough

Extended function:

A dwarf with the Animal Caretaker brings a female and a male pet of different, but interbreeding species (say, a horse and a donkey) to the workshop. With the result above, but at different success chances

Workshop: Reintroduction pen

Base function:

Similar to a cage (but maybe bigger?), you can assign a tame pet to it. After a few months, at most a year, it becomes untamed again.

Extended function: Ability to assign a lever to it to release whoever's inside. Alternatively, the untamed pet breaks out by itself.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 02:33:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure most of that is impossible right now. AFAIK, custom workshops can have new reactions that are rooted in the "bring material in -> receive new item" format with little deviation. Thing like barrels and vials and such aside, the only real difference between them are the skills used.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 03:35:05 pm »

You can do it with vermin, but I don't see why would you want an untamed vermin :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 04:18:10 pm »

I wouldn't, what I wanted to do is to totally unbalance the local ecosystem by bringing in the worst nightmare known to man into the wild: the housecats. :D

abysmalminton

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »

For things like ash, potash, etc., that are subtypes of bar, are they in the raws anywhere?

I'm trying to figure out how to add a new item in that vein.

Or alternatively, is there a way to make a new item that is considered finished goods yet falls outside of toy or instrument? And heck, where are mugs found?

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

Okay, I got everything to work. Molten obsidian blood, redacted bones, nobody's spontaneously combusting.
It's working pretty much like it should. Nobody ever hits them with the same sword twice*. Melting faces is fun.
Turns out your punches hit pretty darn hard when your bones are made of redacted -
Eight of them just took out a Bronze Colossus in a wrestling match. Of course, if they'd had any weapons, they'd have melted in their grasp just like the colossus, so maybe weapons wouldn't have changed much.

*unless it's raining, since then the magma is instantly washed off of the blade before transferring any heat. Bug?

I made some chimps with iron skin and molten iron blood, but so far none of the kobold axemen I sent against them have died from heat or anything. The only thing different from normal blood I've seen so far is piles and dustings of iron after it solidifies. Perhaps they don't bleed enough since I didn't give their iron skin the [VASCULAR] tag. In any case, I'm disappointed there was no deaths from flying molten metal :(
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 02:58:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is it that every creature that gets bitten and they experience a fever, extreme pain, swelling and rotting(?) of the bite area but never get impaired function of the lungs (which I think would cause them to not be able to breathe temporarily). Also, I've never seen them cough blood.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 357