Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 357

Author Topic: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)  (Read 399896 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: 0.31. MODDERS WORKSHOP (NEWCOMERS WELCOME!)
« Reply #4635 on: December 29, 2011, 10:45:06 am »

On the first question:  I know it's been tried, but I don't know what the outcome was.

Second question:  Yes, a creature can have multiple castes, some of which lay eggs and some of which have live young.  The children will be a randomly chosen caste.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4636 on: December 29, 2011, 02:43:37 pm »

I do have a question.

Are the number of trees on a map linked to the amount of different kind of trees ?

Lets say I have a heavily forested evil swamp and only 2 kinds of tress that share this biome, and on the other side a heavily forested standart forest biome, with 12 kinds of trees living in that biome. Would the total number of trees by different ?

EDIT:

Another one: Armor rating in the original files goes from 1 till 3. Is there any effect when cranking it up to 11 ? Or any other number higher then 3 ?

Last one: I know it is possible to change the value to a negative value. But I could only find materials for that. Is it possible to do that for items, lets say refuse, bodyparts, corpses, corpsepieces, rotten food, and so on ?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:09:23 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: December 29, 2011, 06:34:34 pm »

Are the number of trees on a map linked to the amount of different kind of trees ?

I don't have any hard numbers on this, but it wouldn't really make sense for it to work this way, so I doubt it.

Another one: Armor rating in the original files goes from 1 till 3. Is there any effect when cranking it up to 11 ? Or any other number higher then 3 ?

I assume you mean the ARMOR_LEVEL token? If so, no, there's no effect on giving it a different number - as far as I know, it's only looked at in military uniforms and it doesn't have anything to do with how well it deflects blows or anything. That's all handled by COVERAGE and the material it's made out of.

Last one: I know it is possible to change the value to a negative value. But I could only find materials for that. Is it possible to do that for items, lets say refuse, bodyparts, corpses, corpsepieces, rotten food, and so on ?

Rotten food you definitely couldn't do, because it's not a separate item from regular food. You could potentially do it for creature tissues (like nervous tissue or bones) by changing the MATERIAL_VALUE token in the material_template_default for skin, etc. I'm not sure if the whole negative value thing will even work in this context, though. I've only ever seen it when someone got the glitch where their artifact barrel (or whatever it was, can't remember) was made out of the first thing in their inorganic file, but the material didn't have a value so it was randomized every time the game was loaded.

... This post sounds awfully discouraging, doesn't it? Sorry.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:45:13 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: December 29, 2011, 07:17:07 pm »

I have a question about eggs.

Can you have a civilisation race lay eggs ? e.g. say you want something like, I don't know, tortoisemen.
will the mother wander off from the nest box for food/drink? or will they stay put?

Suppose you want a weird race, with multiple castes, is it possible for one caste to have live young, and the other caste lay eggs? would the eggs hatch into any creature caste ?

1. Yes you can and it works with provisions.
a. All females will claim nest boxes and lay eggs, but only the married females' eggs will be fertile.  I work around that by only placing nest boxes in personal rooms of married couples, suspending the construction before it finishes, and then next time I see the female in the room I lock the door and order the box to be finished so that she is the only female able to claim the box.

b. It sometimes has the same issues that egg laying animals have, with females becoming infertile for no perceivable reason.  Unlike the animals though my experience shows they will always get one or two fertilized clutches laid before it happens.

c. Eggs WILL be taken to any stockpiles that take them, even by their own mothers.  They won't eat the eggs, but they will never hatch once removed from the box, so remember to disable eggs from your civ on every food stockpile before trying to breed your members.

d.  You'll have to separate your livestock egg boxes from your general population.  Any egg box that can be reached by a female civ member will be claimed.  Livestock has the same chance as anyone else, but when you have 100 female fortress members and 3 female chickens, chances are no chickens will get a box.

And e, even though it isn't a problem, it's a thing to note.  Mothers will still behave as normal fortress members, they will only go to sit on their eggs while idle.  It doesn't seem to have any affect on the eggs, since I've seen eggs from soldiers that never became idle hatch after laying.  So you don't have to worry about half your population becoming unproductive to sit on eggs.

And mixed egg laying races using castes work.  Whether an egg is laid or a live birth happens is determined by the mother's caste, not the child's.  Also eggs will have the mother's caste name as species, regardless of the child's caste.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: December 29, 2011, 07:40:23 pm »

That's really helpful.

How long do eggs take to hatch? Does egg size make a difference in how long the eggs take to hatch ?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4640 on: December 29, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »

No, the answers are helpful :)

That the tree number will stay the same is good news.
The armor rating is a bit shocking for me, since I directly linked the number of bars you need to the number of armor rating. Argh. Well, have to find a new system then, but you showed me my error, so also a good answer.

About negative value:
I dont know if that would work. If I make skin -X worth, then leather and leather items will worth even less... same for bones...

What I wanted to do is make general unwanted items, like trash, junk, clutter, rests of invasion to have a negative value, so it DECREASES your wealth in the stocks screen. That would mean less migrants for a dirty fortress, more migrants for a clean one...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: December 29, 2011, 08:06:23 pm »

What I wanted to do is make general unwanted items, like trash, junk, clutter, rests of invasion to have a negative value, so it DECREASES your wealth in the stocks screen. That would mean less migrants for a dirty fortress, more migrants for a clean one...
TEST THIS!! DO SO NOW!!
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4642 on: December 29, 2011, 08:39:12 pm »

No, the answers are helpful :)

That the tree number will stay the same is good news.
The armor rating is a bit shocking for me, since I directly linked the number of bars you need to the number of armor rating. Argh. Well, have to find a new system then, but you showed me my error, so also a good answer.

About negative value:
I dont know if that would work. If I make skin -X worth, then leather and leather items will worth even less... same for bones...

Well Leather is seperate from skin, so if you made skin and that -X it will work. And since your dealing with the "Invaders" goto their creature files and select all materials and change to your -X values. And BAM!! Now having a messy fortress from invaders lowered your wealth. In theory :P

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: December 29, 2011, 08:48:37 pm »

Sounds like you're thinking of MATERIAL_SIZE for that. (The number you put there divided by 150 is how many metal bars it will take to make at a forge.)
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: December 29, 2011, 09:23:13 pm »

Question, does anyone know how to compact bundles?

I found this out so far.

1. If you just have
         [REAGENT:bundle:2:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:NONE:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bundle:NONE]
it will produce whatever the value is in the product (so two arrows and 20 arrows would just make 1)

2. but if you have this
   [REAGENT:bundle:2:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:IRON] - had to put this on Iron in metal.txt for theory testing
   [PRODUCT:100:1:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_ARROWS:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bundle:NONE]
it will produce 1/2 of whatever bundle is taken in (unless you change the product to prouce as much as it take "2")

I have tested this with a bundle of 20 arrows and I got 10 back instead of 1 from method (1.)

With another reaction

[REACTION:PROCESS_SMALL_TREE]
   [NAME:process small tree]
   [BUILDING:WOOD_REGEN:CUSTOM_P]
   [REAGENT:A:1:PLANT:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:LOG_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:LOG_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:80:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SEED_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:15:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SEED_MAT]
   [SKILL:CARPENTRY]

if the gather plant (tree) is a oak[5] bundle It will produce 5 oak logs, and the same for seeds.

But what I am having trouble with is getting ammo to bundle together with using the [REACTION_CLASS]/[HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT] to compact ammo bundles. But since just using a [REAGENT:bundle:2:....] will only grab 2 arrows from a bundle of 20 and give be 20, when I want to grab two seperate bundles with that [REAGENT] so it compresses them.

Anyone know how to do this?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:24:44 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: December 29, 2011, 09:56:05 pm »

In the second reaction, there's only one reagent, so the game correctly use the amount of items in the stack to caculate the output amount. For your bundle reaction however, there're 2 stacks so the game got confused and mess up with your number. Again, this is related to the use-whole-stack-and-create-one bug.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00:10 pm »

In the second reaction, there's only one reagent, so the game correctly use the amount of items in the stack to caculate the output amount. For your bundle reaction however, there're 2 stacks so the game got confused and mess up with your number. Again, this is related to the use-whole-stack-and-create-one bug.
That explains the difference between

"1." and "2."

But I'm wondering if there is a way to grab two bundles of say 20 arrows so I get the 40 arrows, reasoning behind this concept is so I can take say 13 arrows and 20 arrows to make 33 aswell. without making a reaction that "has" to have the right numbers to make the merge. Maybe i'm just crazy

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: December 29, 2011, 10:02:59 pm »

But I'm wondering if there is a way to grab two bundles of say 20 arrows so I get the 40 arrows, reasoning behind this concept is so I can take say 13 arrows and 20 arrows to make 33 aswell. without making a reaction that "has" to have the right numbers to make the merge. Maybe i'm just crazy
Supposedly when toad make the raw for cooking possible we'd get that. So far only cooking manage to count and merge multiple stacks.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:18 pm »

Supposedly when toad make the raw for cooking possible we'd get that. So far only cooking manage to count and merge multiple stacks.
Darn I guess I'm just going to have to make a reaction that takes multiple bars and makes arrows/bolts/throwing knives/throwing axes by how many bars 1 = 25 so
X Bars * 25 = Total Ammo

Still wish I could have made the REAGENT look at bundles instead of indiv. Ammo.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4649 on: December 29, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »

@trees: yes i did change the MATERIAL_SIZE by 150, by for balancing reasons I made it 1 bar for armor rating 1, 2 for 2, 3 for 3. but since armor rating has nothing to do with how good the armor is, as you said, i have to rethink the number of bars per item.

About the negative value thing:

I know for a fact that negative value on items works and is portait like that ingame.
The value of an item adds to wealth, so negative value SHOULD decrease it. Untested.
It is also true that the number of migrants correspond to the wealth. No exact numbers though...

One fun thing of note: You can sell these items to traders, but you have to pay them to take it. lol, awesome.

So the theory is sound. But testing will be hard and how should you know if it really works ? once a certain wealth is created you jump over a treshhold. For example Invasion. Even if you lower your wealth below the invasion treshhold (100.000 created wealth default) the invasions still come, since you topped it once.

I dont know if migrants work the same.... 
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 357