Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To stop flooding in next release  (Read 903 times)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
To stop flooding in next release
« on: July 31, 2007, 03:22:00 am »

I was just thinking about this, if you have got your main floor with all your bedrooms, workshops and other stuff, then build a sort of hallway/pipe thing in the floor below it which could then connect to the outside it would get rid of the flooding problem but then you have to dig holes in the main floor hallways to drain it. Of course your dwarves would have trouble getting past it but what if you could build metal grates from a workshop to put it over the holes. Then it would solve flooding because it would just drain through the grates and also your dwarves would be able to pass over them aswell.

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: To stop flooding in next release
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 10:18:00 am »

And what is gonna crawl up from them sewers? ;] I have been thinking about 'access points' into the fortress. This would create yet one more. Sounds good, but make sure the point where your sewers finally dump, at a chokepoint for controllability (is that even a word?), you have a barracks or some sort of guardpost. Otherwise, even goblins might sneak in through the sewers.

...I am modding in Mr. Hanky...

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

True, goblins might try and get in through the sewers but then they would have to carry some sort of bomb with them to blow up the grates, that is if toady thinks that grates would be a good addition, also are you sure goblins would be smart enough to think to go through the sewers. plus nothing is going to crawl up from the sewers because the only way to get in is from outside the fort or through one of the grates inside the fort.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 11:48:00 am »

Hi!

I don't know, wouldn't trolls be able to smash the grates. After all, they are supposedly strong enough to smash flood gates. Besides, the grate itself need not be destroyed, but only dislodged and unless there is Dulbo, the Overweight, Wrestling Master Dwarf standing on top of it, it shouldn't be harder that the floodgate smashing in my opinion.

The interesting thing would be if things could be spawned there. Albino alligator anyone? :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

quote:
are you sure goblins would be smart enough to think to go through the sewers

These are creatures that forge iron equipment and attack with well equipped armies  and trained beasts who function as siege engines.

I think they'll find the sewer (or they should at least).

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:08:00 am »

Lol alright then if they are smart enough to find the sewers then you could link a lever to some underground floodgates to let magma flow through the sewers, that will make them think twice before using them  :D.

[ August 01, 2007: Message edited by: Future ]

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

another option would be to dig small tunnels that lead to underground pool of magma outside (channeled from the magma flow) so water that goes down grates flows downhill towards the pool where steam will form heading up towards grates outside. In this form of it goblins would need to be able to survive a pool of magma to get to you, wich is currently beyond them.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

Metal grates are almost certainly going to be in the next version... I'd be surprised if they wouldn't be!

Also, the easiest way i'd say for you to setup your fortress is to build your fortress 3 or more levels up from 'ground level' that way you can have your waste water (not necessarilly sewage, just water that wont be used again) tunnel 1 level above ground level.

Doing so would mean that it would be unreachable unless the goblins setup some kind of ladder - which wont be happening for a long while - or a flying creature (like a dragon) attacked and tore through the grate. Even then, the creature would have to force it's way up a flooded (>2 units of water) tunnel.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:13:00 am »

another idea would be to not involve the outside at all, just tunnel all water (assuming you are built 3 levels up) towards the northern area of the magma flow, away rom the fort and dump all water into the magma flow.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

Dwarf sauna anyone?
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Pitchblack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 06:18:00 am »

the idea is that the water dumps far away from the fort so that no steam gets to the fort but a variation could be uses so that the fort is under the level where the steam is made so the steam rises above the fort and out a vent shaft with grates/traps (incase of dragon)

Future

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

When i started this thread the original idea was to stop that perma flooding thing but when i read the last couple of posts there were some good ideas. Like Pitchblack and Haedrian's ideas, the magma would be a good trap to keep out goblins and other creatures while using the steam for a sauna to keep your dwarves happy.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 03:35:00 am »

Wohoo! First post! Just a few days ago I stumbled into Dwarf Fortress after I got tired with ADOM... and I'm hooked, completely.

Now, this morning I got a marvelous idea what my fort lacked, grates. Considering the time this game has been in development and the activity I've seen on this site I'm sure this was brought up before, but here is what I thought about this morning and why I think my grates would be great.

Basic idea: Vertical grate door identical to regular door except that it does not block fluids and can be mounted over/adjacent to channels. Would be used to regulate traffic but not block fluids.

Why? Well, yesterday I built my first successful irrigation system and first farm that managed to feed my dwarves, and to top it all, I dug out an underground forest as well. The farm was very near the river, the forest was near the outer mountain wall. One floodgate connected to the river and a channel linked it to the farm floodgate and the forest floodgate. Since I wanted to expand beyond the channel I built a hallway with a bridge that crossed the channel. All worked fine and dandy and was quite scenic...

Well, I decided to redecorate the walls of my farm, my interior floodgates were open, the outer one closed, my engravers were chilling in the underground forest and as I issued orders they decided it would be fine and dandy to walk to the farm through the irrigation channel, to make matters worse, if the inner floodgates were open, I could not lock up the farm or the forest since dwarves would jump off the bridge to enter these rooms.

Now, I did not dig up that channel so some dwarf can use it as a shortcut, its sole use is to provide water and then I decided that something was neccessary to keep the dwarves, and all others(esp. livestock) out of my plumbing.

Grates. If i could build grates next to that bridge over the channel, and grates before my inner floodgates I could close the channel for traffic while it would still serve to let water flow. What doors are to walls, grates would be to fortifications.

IMO, adding grates would add much to preventing 'incidents' involving dwarves at the wrong place and the wrong(flooding) time. Plus, they'd be a big plus on defensive structures, since every gate needs a grate as well.

Cheers!  ;)

Behrooz Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Woo, I play with dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 06:42:00 pm »

Plus, they'd be a big plus on defensive structures, since every gate needs a grate as well.

"Fezzik!  The portcullis!"

Prince Humperdinck should have used dwarven gate engineers.  At least, I hope dwarven gates won't be vulnerable to being lifted by Invaders of Unusual Size.  (IoUS's)

Behrooz''s Law:<BR>The relevance of ongoing discussion in a bulletin board thread is inversely proportional to both the volume and number of quotations appended therein.