Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

To stop flooding in next release

<< < (3/3)

Pitchblack:
the idea is that the water dumps far away from the fort so that no steam gets to the fort but a variation could be uses so that the fort is under the level where the steam is made so the steam rises above the fort and out a vent shaft with grates/traps (incase of dragon)

Future:
When i started this thread the original idea was to stop that perma flooding thing but when i read the last couple of posts there were some good ideas. Like Pitchblack and Haedrian's ideas, the magma would be a good trap to keep out goblins and other creatures while using the steam for a sauna to keep your dwarves happy.

Goran:
Wohoo! First post! Just a few days ago I stumbled into Dwarf Fortress after I got tired with ADOM... and I'm hooked, completely.Now, this morning I got a marvelous idea what my fort lacked, grates. Considering the time this game has been in development and the activity I've seen on this site I'm sure this was brought up before, but here is what I thought about this morning and why I think my grates would be great.Basic idea: Vertical grate door identical to regular door except that it does not block fluids and can be mounted over/adjacent to channels. Would be used to regulate traffic but not block fluids.Why? Well, yesterday I built my first successful irrigation system and first farm that managed to feed my dwarves, and to top it all, I dug out an underground forest as well. The farm was very near the river, the forest was near the outer mountain wall. One floodgate connected to the river and a channel linked it to the farm floodgate and the forest floodgate. Since I wanted to expand beyond the channel I built a hallway with a bridge that crossed the channel. All worked fine and dandy and was quite scenic...Well, I decided to redecorate the walls of my farm, my interior floodgates were open, the outer one closed, my engravers were chilling in the underground forest and as I issued orders they decided it would be fine and dandy to walk to the farm through the irrigation channel, to make matters worse, if the inner floodgates were open, I could not lock up the farm or the forest since dwarves would jump off the bridge to enter these rooms.Now, I did not dig up that channel so some dwarf can use it as a shortcut, its sole use is to provide water and then I decided that something was neccessary to keep the dwarves, and all others(esp. livestock) out of my plumbing.Grates. If i could build grates next to that bridge over the channel, and grates before my inner floodgates I could close the channel for traffic while it would still serve to let water flow. What doors are to walls, grates would be to fortifications.IMO, adding grates would add much to preventing 'incidents' involving dwarves at the wrong place and the wrong(flooding) time. Plus, they'd be a big plus on defensive structures, since every gate needs a grate as well.Cheers!  ;)

Behrooz Wolf:
Plus, they'd be a big plus on defensive structures, since every gate needs a grate as well."Fezzik!  The portcullis!"Prince Humperdinck should have used dwarven gate engineers.  At least, I hope dwarven gates won't be vulnerable to being lifted by Invaders of Unusual Size.  (IoUS's)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version