Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My mason is psychic  (Read 2821 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
My mason is psychic
« on: April 10, 2010, 07:09:52 am »

Or rather, he was. He died a few days ago.

It has been some months now, since the stoneworker decided to let his creativity flow freely and create a masterpiece so awesome it would define the rest of his life. So he asked me to get some free time from megaproject building duty, and I agreed, because there was not very much work left. He sat in his workshop for weeks, staring at some shale and bauxite rocks. He didn't even eat, and the otherwise friendly and happy dwarf didn't say a word. And then he got to work. There was something in his eyes - maybe the purple color or the flames shooting out of them - that told me he wasn't controlling his work, his work was controlling him.

And when the dust settled and the rythmic day-and-night hammering finally ceased, there stood a coffin. A shale coffin, and in masterfully inlaid bauxite was an image of the crafter himself. He stood next to it, confused, not knowing what to do, so I told him to get to work on the megaproject tower - it would clear his mind.

And as much as the coffin, the tower was becoming a marvell of stonecrafting. A giant shale tower, lined with bauxite statues. The mason was somewhere near the top, the rest had already gone to their room to get some rest. I was watching the mason, as he removed the last bit of stone block scaffolding. And then the whole southern wall bursted open.

I shouted, but to no avail - the whole top of the tower slowly toppled over, and broke trough all lower floors one by one, only to come to a stop in a crater of dust and broken walls. And blood. Oh god, the blood. And at that moment, it occured to me. The dwarf, or whatever had possessed him, had foreseen his death, and created for him a coffin of shale, decorated with bauxite, as a remembrance of the day he was buried beneath tons of shale, and some decorative bauxite...

Hell, I love DF.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My mason is psychic
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 07:19:00 am »

Yep, that's why I'll be donating another $50 in a couple months.  $100 for an un-complete game with loads of bugs.  But an AWESOME game.  +1

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 07:20:56 am »

Screenshot of the coffin

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 07:23:45 am »

Screenshot of the coffin

Seconded! I wanna see the creepy coffin :3
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 08:01:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, I built the coffin on a baclony at the surviving part of the tower, guarded by a statue. Also, it appears it is bauxite with shale, and not vice versa. Ah well, still epic.
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:15:39 am »

Is he a partial skeleton because of decay, or because the rest of him is still in that crater somewhere?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:19:12 am »

I think because somehow his upper body is missing. Don't know where it is though, I noticed upper bodies tend do disappear.
*WHACK*

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 08:23:01 am »

Yay, so it's true story.

Sorry, awesome true story :3
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »

I think because somehow his upper body is missing. Don't know where it is though, I noticed upper bodies tend do disappear.

Yeah... I had a guy drown in a lake due to getting a scare from a passing skeletal groundhog.
When I checked his status it said his upper body was missing. How do you drown and then lose your upper body?!

Awesome story though. =3
Dwarves: Death from Below!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 12:32:04 pm »

carps ate it? :P
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 01:01:01 pm »

Skeletal carp ate it. Bewaaaaaaaare...
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 01:37:49 pm »

That would make it Invisible Skeletal Carp, because I didn't see anything in the pond...

... wait. That's the stuff of nightmares!
Dwarves: Death from Below!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 01:48:20 am »

That would make it Invisible Skeletal Carp, because I didn't see anything in the pond...

... wait. That's the stuff of nightmares!

hrmmmm.....Freddy Krueger Carp...if this is the case...we are totally fucked -.-

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 02:31:29 am »

Awesome? Yes it is!

I swear, DF has a mind of its own and shall one day rule the world, as no other game can come out with half the awesome stuff that DF does.