Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well, I better give him a promotion.  (Read 13639 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I better give him a promotion.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 10:23:32 pm »

If we could mass-produce silk and make thick silk clothing AFK, it would be nice. Ever been told that spider silk is stronger than steel? Exactly.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »

If we could mass-produce silk and make thick silk clothing AFK, it would be nice. Ever been told that spider silk is stronger than steel? Exactly.

If only we were able to have Goats make silk. That would be an easy way of mass producing it. I would make a modded reaction similar to do this, but the new raws are too mind boggling for me to want to figure out atm.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci/tech/889951.stm It actually happens IRL
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:06:45 am »

Goat silk... where do they extrude it?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 12:12:32 am »

Its in the milk or something like that.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 12:25:14 am »

Cloth is the new plate armor.

I think I just figured out why this is.  Check the material_template_default raw -> thread_plant_template (near the end).  Shear_yield and shear_fracture are both set to 600,000.  These values are used in combat calculations for edged weapons, and Toady said he used tensile strength (in kPa) for them.

As comparison, metals have all these set to 520,000(yield) and 860,000(fracture) (Toady got these values from stainless steel) and wood is set to 40,000 (from pine, says the Toad).  Therefore, any plant cloth is harder to cut through than steel!  Density plays a part, but this is a very big influence (see Nimbo's research).  As teeth and claws are edged/pointed attacks for animals, these numbers affect them as well.  I would recommend changing the values something a bit higher than human skin (20,000), such as 30,000.

Silk is set to 1,150,000 and 1,200,000 (!), so I recommend toning that down as well, perhaps to 40,000 (same as wood).  I don't dispute that these are accurate tensile strengths, though I haven't looked up most of them, but their values are just not functional in the combat calculations currently in use.

EDIT: Leather has these values set to 25,000, so that may need some rebalancing as well.

Material properties can get really weird when they are non-homogeneous.   There needs to either be a lot of tweaking or many special cases for different materials.

The mammaries as I recall, mixed in with the milk.  Which lead to further problems when it was discovered that the method of extraction(specifically, the shape of the orifice and gland that the silk is drawn from) has a profound impact on its strength(read as "it kind of works in the lab").
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:27:10 am by PencilinHand »

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:33:54 am »

Cloth is the new plate armor.

I think I just figured out why this is.  Check the material_template_default raw -> thread_plant_template (near the end).  Shear_yield and shear_fracture are both set to 600,000.  These values are used in combat calculations for edged weapons, and Toady said he used tensile strength (in kPa) for them.

As comparison, metals have all these set to 520,000(yield) and 860,000(fracture) (Toady got these values from stainless steel) and wood is set to 40,000 (from pine, says the Toad).  Therefore, any plant cloth is harder to cut through than steel!  Density plays a part, but this is a very big influence (see Nimbo's research).  As teeth and claws are edged/pointed attacks for animals, these numbers affect them as well.  I would recommend changing the values something a bit higher than human skin (20,000), such as 30,000.

Silk is set to 1,150,000 and 1,200,000 (!), so I recommend toning that down as well, perhaps to 40,000 (same as wood).  I don't dispute that these are accurate tensile strengths, though I haven't looked up most of them, but their values are just not functional in the combat calculations currently in use.

EDIT: Leather has these values set to 25,000, so that may need some rebalancing as well.

Material properties can get really weird when they are non-homogeneous.   There needs to either be a lot of tweaking or many special cases for different materials.

The mammaries as I recall, mixed in with the milk.  Which lead to further problems when it was discovered that the method of extraction(specifically, the shape of the orifice and gland that the silk is drawn from) has a profound impact on its strength(read as "it kind of works in the lab").
Well, I can never say I never learned anything from DF...

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 12:58:17 am »

So if we get a dungeon master, and a cow, and a giant cave spider... could we get silk milk for a army of unstoppable silk clad warriors?
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 04:10:35 am »

A cave croc wandered by one of my farmers. I was expecting a slaughter but the croc just shoved him around some. Must have been gumming him or something.
I just kinda left it to chase around the dwarves. Every attack was just deflected by clothing. I was kinda disappointed. 
Pages: 1 [2]