Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well, I better give him a promotion.  (Read 13521 times)

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well, I better give him a promotion.
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:11 am »

One of my miners encountered a cave crocodile in the caverns, I was going to right him off as dead but he managed to stay ahead of it all the way to the hematite room just below the entrance. this is when he decided to stop being an elf and Take down a giant cave crocodile without getting so much as a scratch. Well anyway this guy is now my militia commander. But how? I thought combat was harder now?
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I better give him a promotion.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:37:18 am »

'r' can show combat reports now.

I guess it was pick to the skull and crock is dead. :D

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:55:35 am »

I just checked, A pick to the head was how it ended but it began with the dwarf deflecting a cave crocodile with a dress and then breaking every limb and picking it in the upper body, man cave crocs are weak it just passed out after the first hit. ::)
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:01:57 am »

To be fair a metal pick to the anywhere would mess up pretty much any normal animal.

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:05:18 am »

But weren't cave crocs huge, destructive, beasts in the last version?

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:05:23 am »

Cloth is the new plate armor.
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 01:48:05 pm »

I just checked, A pick to the head was how it ended but it began with the dwarf deflecting a cave crocodile with a dress and then breaking every limb and picking it in the upper body, man cave crocs are weak it just passed out after the first hit. ::)

After reading this I decided to stop avoiding the cave croc in my cavern and sent two relatively untrained militia dwarves to kill the damn thing.

... Oh the blood. I can now safely confirm that not all Cave Crocodiles are weak.  :(
Dwarves: Death from Below!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 02:53:06 pm »

"Dwarves, arm yerselves! Take up yer ax! Don yer dresses!"
Love, scriver~

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »

No kidding.  I took an adventurer straight out of the box (attrubuteless, mostly skilless except for swordsmanship) to attack an elven retreat.  All he had was a bronze sword and cloth armor.  He killed thirty elves before getting killed.  He had ~20 elves on top of him with another six shooting arrows from afar at the time he was suffocated.  I don't think his clothes ever were so much as frayed.  Btw, none of those arrows EVER touched him...he deflected every last one with his clothes.

OTRaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:36:57 pm »

Sig'd.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 04:48:05 pm »

'r' can show combat reports now.

I guess it was pick to the skull and crock is dead. :D

You have struck Aligator brain!

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure picks are better weapons than any of the blunt weapons currently, if one berserk miner taking down my entire military is any indication...

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 05:05:10 pm »

Yeah, blunt weapons are pretty much teh suck now. No more gobbo baseball :\

I lol'd so hard
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Todestool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 07:09:24 pm »

I think I just figured out why this is.  Check the material_template_default raw -> thread_plant_template (near the end).  Shear_yield and shear_fracture are both set to 600,000.  These values are used in combat calculations for edged weapons, and Toady said he used tensile strength (in kPa) for them.

As comparison, metals have all these set to 520,000(yield) and 860,000(fracture) (Toady got these values from stainless steel) and wood is set to 40,000 (from pine, says the Toad).  Therefore, any plant cloth is harder to cut through than steel!  Density plays a part, but this is a very big influence (see Nimbo's research).  As teeth and claws are edged/pointed attacks for animals, these numbers affect them as well.  I would recommend changing the values something a bit higher than human skin (20,000), such as 30,000.

Silk is set to 1,150,000 and 1,200,000 (!), so I recommend toning that down as well, perhaps to 40,000 (same as wood).  I don't dispute that these are accurate tensile strengths, though I haven't looked up most of them, but their values are just not functional in the combat calculations currently in use.

EDIT: Leather has these values set to 25,000, so that may need some rebalancing as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:16:56 pm by Todestool »

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 10:06:33 pm »

After reading this I decided to stop avoiding the cave croc in my cavern and sent two relatively untrained militia dwarves to kill the damn thing.

... Oh the blood. I can now safely confirm that not all Cave Crocodiles are weak.  :(
See that was more what I expected. but then again this is the same dwarf who was locked in the mines from the start of the fortress, hunting ceaselessly for the underground. So he wasn't what you would call "untrained."
Pages: [1] 2