Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues with wearing items  (Read 1265 times)

Snorlax Buttblood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Issues with wearing items
« on: April 10, 2010, 10:34:26 am »

Hi there, apologies if this is in the wrong topic section, but i have read all other threads relating to issues with wearing and as far as i can see no-body is having the same issues as i am? :( I am playing with the latest version of DF in adventurer mode on a randomgen world and i HAVE used the search function :)

Ok, so the problem i have relates to Clothes and Armor. I saved up my moneys and bought a pretty deer leather coat and some grizzly bear leather socks :D but i cannot seem to wear them! if i hit "w" i am told that there is "nothing left to wear". I have tried this with the items in my backpack, with them in my hands, and completely naked :( but am always told i cannot wear the things. I ignored this and kept playing, and bought myself a breastplate. I removed and sold my old copper mail shirt, but now I cannot seem to wear the new breastplate? again i have tried this holding the items, with them in my backpack, and COMPLETELY naked -_- will be off to fight a hydra soon and some form of upper body protection would be nice.

This *could* just be me being completely incopetent and missing something simple, so i hesitated positing this and read other user topics just to make sure.

Maybe this is a size related issue? I read a thread by a guy who couldnt wear an item because it was too small... or something. I bought my armour from a shop (human obviously). please note i am a DWARF

Many thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:38:30 am by Snorlax Buttblood »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: Issues with wearing items
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:35:19 am »

Press "r" to unequip/drop your selected items. Then, you can equip them.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Snorlax Buttblood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:40:23 am »

I have done this, sorry, forgot to mention  :-X As i said i have tried this COMPLETELY naked - as in I dropped every item in my inventory, including "r"emoving my equipped items and dropping those, left only holding the item i wanted to wear, i have also tried this naked aside from my packpack with the wanted item as the only item inside it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:42:13 am by Snorlax Buttblood »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 10:41:28 am »

It's the racial size thing. Dwarves probably can't put on human clothes. I'm not so sure, though, with this new version.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Snorlax Buttblood

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 10:44:42 am »

Hmm, in that case I guess i'll go murder a dwarf village, and take my pick of the best armor dropped - might be difficult without my copper mail shirt! I cannot remember the shop i sold it to  ;D Thankyou!

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »

If the item says "large" in your inventory, it won't fit.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:51:21 am »

size is relative, any clothing with the 'small' or 'large' prefix can't be worn by you
size goes goblin=dorf<elf<human
dorfs can wear goblin stuff but are too small for human and elf, elves are too big for dorf and gobbo clothes but too small for human clothes, humans are too big for everything but their own stuff.
also note anomalies in adv mode:
any race can use any weapon and shield -with no penalties.
2h weapons will be held multigrip unless you equipped a shield first, then they will be one handed -with no penalties.
you can pick up multiple shields and then remove them from your bag, causing you to hold multiple shields in each hand, even if you are holding a weapon -resulting in an impenetrable shield wall.
you sometimes can't buy ammo in shops -you can loot from elsewhere though
greaves and chain leggings can't both be worn -hoods, helmets, caps and masks can

EDIT: corrected errors
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:31:37 pm by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:37:37 pm »

size is relative, any clothing with the 'small' or 'large' prefix can't be worn by you
size goes goblin=dorf<elf<human
dorfs can wear goblin stuff but are too small for human and elf, elves are too big for dorf and gobbo clothes but too small for human clothes, humans are too big for everything but their own stuff.
also note anomalies in adv mode:
any race can use any weapon and shield -with no penalties.
2h weapons will be held multigrip unless you equipped a shield first, then they will be one handed -with no penalties.
you can pick up multiple shields and then remove them from your bag, causing you to hold multiple shields in each hand, even if you are holding a weapon -resulting in an impenetrable shield wall.
you can't buy ammo in shops -you can loot from elsewhere though
greaves and chain leggings can't both be worn -hoods, helmets, caps and masks can

That is odd, I regularly see bronze bolts and arrows in weapon shops.

Also, in 40d, you couldn't wear goblin cloths and armor because it had the narrow tag.  Is this no longer the case(I haven't seen any gobos in the new version, been in the underground too much)?  Lastly, I think I had a dwarf in adv. that was wearing large stuff by default but I will need to check up on that....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:44:57 pm by PencilinHand »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 12:47:22 pm »

No, you get halved attack roll in the attack formula if you grab a two-handed weapon with 1 hand, Toady told that.

you can't buy ammo in shops -you can loot from elsewhere though
You can buy bolts in weapon shops.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:04 pm »

i may be lacking good observation skills but of the many weapon stores i have gone to, none sold ammunition of any description. being a legendary swordsman from a 20 minute stalemate with a colossus, i can hack the limbs off of anything with ease with a 2h sword, no matter the penalty. -but thanks for the correction, i like being totally informed
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:32:35 pm by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Vulkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:31:49 am »

After recently visiting a shop in a nearby Human capital, I can confirm that arrows and bolts are sold in them.