Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

AI..

(1/2) > >>

Skyrage:
I dunno how tuned up the AI is going to be for the next version, but it'd be nice to at least see a "common sense" AI being implemented. For example, if I build a channel - that is a one tile channel next to the river - once it's completed, then the dwarf should simply go to the nearest dry tile available, and NOT plunge into the river and then aimlessly swim around just to drown...whilst being two whole squares away from safety...to either side.

Nukeitall:
Inclined to agree. "Dwarves do not collect (x)" would be a welcome and useful addition. Can't count the amount of guys I've lost to Dwarves running out to loot gear..

Dreamer:
I think the dwarves won't stand on top of channels anymore in the next version, the way things work.  They'd fall into a hole, I think, if they didn't do it from the side.The only addition to the AI that I know of is four extra move directions, which may help drowning dwarves slightly, as they won't be as inclined to swim back and fortth.  Of course, they may just as well fly off deeper into the water...  I think the whole wandering aimlessly in the water thing is intentional, to simulate the dwarf panicking and flailing about with no thought as to where shore is - They just know it isn't where they're at, so they've got to move.  If they weren't panicking, they'd likely go straight to the nearest bit of dry land - But we all know dwarves can't swim and think rationally at the same time.   :)

Zemat:
In that regard. There should be a separate skill for swimming. That way, dwarves that are skilled swimmers would control better their movements and last longer. They could even enter willingly into the rivers and ponds to cross them or recover sunken items.To train the swimming skill, dwarves may go into shallow ponds that are designated as recreational pools (equivalent to a statue garden or zoo.)

Fieari:
That'll probably be added at a similar time as flight is worked on, for dragons and birds and gryphons and such.  Differentiating different types of movement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version