Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56

Author Topic: Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress (Succession) IS COMPLETE!  (Read 150231 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Overseer/Stonesense pics?
At last, she is done.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm gunna take a look just to see how my new laptop can handle this kind of thing.
Edit: 23-25 fps seems reasonable, How long ingame did the last couple of levels take?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:32:54 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

weq15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yes only 4 more Zs
Bralbaard. Those impaled corpses are.. The lighting... the ribs... it's magnificent.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was browsing this thread a few days ago and thought this tower was awesome, so I gave it a go of completing the last few floors.  I made a nice statue garden out of clear glass and solid gold, and finally capped it with a solid gold roof and a golden altar to Armok, complete with a large area with glass spike "traps" which make up a sacrificial area for those worthy enough to sacrifice for the blood god.  There's even a burrow for assigning those lucky sacrifices to the spike area (and it's also a statue garden so you'll get plenty of 'unintentional sacrifices' :P ).

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6177

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait... so, it's... finished?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Ladies and gentlemen, skyscrapes has reached 100 floors.
At last, she is done.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you consider my additions worthy, then I would say so, yes.  The top floor is at +100 z's.

I'm not sure how well my journal fits in with the rest of the players' continuity, but it includes a rather humorous construction mishap that actually happened:

----

Annoyed that their 100-story monument to Dwarvenkind had been sitting just near completion for too long, the Dwarven council (during one of the scant minutes of the day they weren't completely drunk) ordered me to go finish the last four levels of the monument and to check on King Likotbecor, whom they hadn't heard from in ages.  I arrived to find that there are currently just over 200 dwarves living and working here, and the total created wealth is rumored to be nearing ten million dwarfbucks.  I immediately went to the top story and got to work.

20th Moonstone, 1071 - While finishing the green glass flooring on the 96th floor, a misplaced block of glass flooring came loose, crashing through the two floors below (one of which was part of a stockpile), and falling another 15 stories right onto Shem Tamolstakud's head.  Miraculously, the child survived!  However, the 10 other blocks and three solid gold bars that fell from the hole in the stockpile crushed him to a bony pulp, scattering his body parts across 14 floors.  At least it wasn't someone who actually did work.

2nd Obsidian, 1071 - While overseeing the completion of the wall on the 94th floor, a dwarf came staggering up to me, panting, yelling about how the lower floors were flooding.  Earlier I had ordered the shutdown of the generator, as neither pump stack was currently being used.  However, the lever I had found marked "Stops the generator" in the control room actually in fact unleashed a massive flood!  Dwarves were cleaning up barrels of food and supplies for days once we had the water under control.

9th Obsidian, 1071 - An Ettin came rampaging into the area today!  I immediately ordered our no-doubt well-skilled, impressive, heavily armed... what?  We have no army?  The lookout who informed me of our pathetic military state also informed me that King Likotbecor refuses to let them bear arms in fear of any sort of uprising.  I went storming to his chamber to yell at him, but he refused to even see me.  I had yet to check on the King for the council.  Fortunately, while I was ragebashing my fists on the King's door, the stupid Ettin fell into a simple cage trap.  It appears we are safe for now.

6th Granite, 1072 - The Dwarves finished the green glass walls, flooring, and stone support columns on the 94th, 95th, and 96th floor.  I left the 94th floor as a stock room, and designated the 96th as a slab graveyard.  The graveyard will come in handy then the final two floors are finished...

20th Galena, 1072 - The gold and clear glass observation room/statue garden on the 97th and 98th floor are completed.  All that's left is to finish the top two floors, which are already well under construction and using copious amounts of solid gold.

1st Limestone, 1072 - Today our bookkeeper informed me that the tower had officially passed ten million dwarfbucks of created wealth!  The council will be happy to hear about this.

15th Felsite, 1073 - Today the final floor of the tower was completed!  The top floor is an altar to the glorious Armok, and several of the denizens of this tower were more than happy to offer themselves as the initial sacrifices to the blood god.  After months of attaching mechanisms to spikes, the altar finally boasts a fully functioning sacrificial spike pit, ringed with 30 golden statues.  Tonight I return to the council to report the successful completion of the tower, despite being unable to find any information about the King.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile

:o Just checked this out in the new version of Overseer. Wow!

It is unbelievable. I can't even view the whole fort with the default settings. This fort doesn't even really look like anything I've seen before in Df.

:applause:

Way to go, guys!

I'll leave screenshots to the guy who is obviously very excited about the prospect though.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile

Oh man, I didn't even know Thewonderidiot backported map export until I saw your post.  Can't wait to get home and fire it up!
At last, she is done.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress (Succession) IS COMPLETE!
« Reply #804 on: April 17, 2012, 11:10:27 am »

It's been two years, but Skyscrapes is finally complete.

I get out of school in 3 weeks, so I think that would be a good time to start Skyscrapes 2.

What kind of embark area do we want? A mountainous area could allow us to have more than 100 z-levels.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 17, 2012, 11:42:15 am »

I have a pretty good embark if we want maximum lag.

it consists of a 30 z-level deep hole with two rivers above it, and one below. I'm using it to make a rapture fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 12:07:19 pm by Japa »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 17, 2012, 12:31:07 pm »

That is amazing.  Japa, is there sand on that embark?  How far down is magma?
At last, she is done.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:37 pm »

Just how long has the construction of this thing been going on?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 17, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »

April 11, 2010.  I think the save started off as 31.02.
At last, she is done.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 17, 2012, 12:51:49 pm »

there is sand, in random spots on the surface, and I haven't gone to the magma yet.

* Japa uses reveal to check.

Magma is at -5

Valley floor + river 1 is at 102

River 2 + it's surrounding flatland is at 131

River 3 and it's plains are on 137

highest land on this embark is at 142

I had to have a larger than normal embark to fit the whole thing, sadly.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56