Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How are you dealing with combat?  (Read 6700 times)

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How are you dealing with combat?
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:39:42 pm »

So, I'm trying to enjoy the game, and I had a great time until goblins started showing up.  I set up some traps, and some immigrants showed up at the same time.  The goblins are now slowly beating the immigrants to death with their bows after spending all of their ammunition.  Each dwarf takes about 100 to 150 pages of combat to die, which comes to around 10 minutes.  I'm currently looking at a child with four full pages of red injury text, including a mangled heart, several other organs, and all her teeth individually knocked out.  In the meanwhile, I'm suffering terrible slowdown.

Does it get better?  Perhaps once I have a decent military, I can wipe out goblins before this sort of thing happens?  Or does it stay like this?  Do people have other strategies?

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
Re: How are you dealing with combat?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:59 pm »

I rushed a bunch of snailmen with a miner and huntsdwarf-. . .
bare-handed!
There were four dead snailmen after that.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:44:30 pm »

My strategy was to turn off invaders for now.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

theothersteve7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »

Turn... off?  Oh thank god.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:39:45 pm »

Just get 2-4 military dwarves, and you can cut the goblins to pieces. You can't rely on traps any longer, as it should be.

Don't really know why people can't seem to handle the combat now. Get an axedwarf and a hammerdwarf They can kill anything that doesn't need spoiler tags.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 10:03:29 pm »

Well my strategy so far has been to die. 

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »

I just immediately produce some steel (not that difficult) and make full suits of steel armor/shields/axes. Then I draft the immigrants and start my army. I always embark with armor and weapon crafters so I can churn out quality equipment ASAP and get my military ready for war. If I get all my non-miners working on steel production (wood cutters, wood burners, smelters churning out metal, haulers moving the wood and ores to the crafters, then I have the miners mine out one big magnetite cluster or hematite vein to get them going for a while) out of the gate I can have a full squad of steel-clad axe dwarves ready to go by the time the first goblin ambush arrives. And by then the miners will have dug out a decently defensible position to migrate to and I will have all nonmilitary moved inside. They don't have bedrooms yet (communal bunk), but not being diced to bits by the goblin invasion is generally a higher goal than luxury.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:40:42 am »

By the time the goblins show up, you should at least have a few dwarves in armor with an iron or better weapon.  You should have so much fuel and magnetite/limonite/hematite (or at least some cassiterite and tetrahedrite/malachite for bronze) that there's no reason not to.

Once I have food, masonry, and carpentry going I set up 3 or more furnaces to smelt iron and turn coal into coke.  I assign any dwarves without useful skills to be furnace operators so they're always going.  I just make sure to keep mining coal and iron ore and end up with a ton of iron/coke bars ready to be made into steel or directly into iron armor/weapons.  It also helps to have some dwarves at the start with skills in armorsmith and weaponsmith (though you'll probably eventually get some migrants who are much better).

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:15 am »

What is lacks in sustainability, it makes up for in simplicity. Good job.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:51:56 am »

Getting the community combat balancing mod seems to help alleviate some of the issues

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 01:57:33 am »

So fucking sigg'd.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 01:59:44 am »

I find that sharp things are still a fairly effective means of removing heads.  And magma.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 02:08:17 am »

I've been going the way of the people's militia! For every dwarf! a sword! (or axe or pick, depending on their usual work) I've set up all my dwarves into squads, most wear at least leather and iron breastplates, even when they're not active. Which means rapid response when i need them.

Its working rather well, and I've actually just managed to get them to do some part-time training as well.. i have NO idea what i did to get it working, but 1-2 of my dwarves will now go to the barracks, pop into militia mode, and train for a little while, then they pop back to normal when they're done, and go about their normal business.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 02:40:50 am »

I'm cursed. I've gotten two dwarves to use weapons properly in... six or so serious forts since the new version. One of those was a stroke of luck at the end of an epic fort that was just doomed due to two ambushes at once (see my ranting/cussing thread for more profanity on the matter.) The one dwarf who did use an axe properly? 42 confirmed kills including a yeti, cyclops, sasquatch, floating head, giantess, GCS, two elite goblins, and a half dozen fish folk.

After dragging herself to the hospital with a shattered shoulder she died of thirst because her squad couldn't figure out that hat goes on head.

I tried to reclaim but an unkillable salt-based Forgotten Beast had taken up residence in my dormitories.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 03:15:32 am »

Dwarven Pigs mod. I let loose the pigs of war with one or two handlers. I combine that with 'LOTS OF WALLS'...even underground....and lots of traps.
Pages: [1] 2 3