Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suggestion for new Dwarf Activity: Apply water to zone  (Read 7067 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestion for new Dwarf Activity: Apply water to zone
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:38:21 am »

Muddying rock has become a major necessity for survival of the colony. The current methods require an extraordinary series of gymnastics to get water onto rock/soil so that a farm can be built thereafter.

Suggestion: Allow dwarves to water an area with buckets.

Dwarves already carry water to the injured and sick, and also carry water to zones marked 'PitPond/Pond', so it seems at least possible. A simple and useful difference could be that they only apply a depth of one to water an area.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:41:52 am by AngleWyrm »

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion for new Dwarf Activity: Apply water to zone
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:49:41 am »

Or just add an option to irrigate with buckets of water along with fertilization(which is already there) in the farm plot's menu...
that would be simpler, but a zone designation is not bad too:)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:11:45 am »

They can. Dig channels on the level above and set them as pit/pond zones.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:21:15 am »

Never really understood that one. What part of "go here, empty bucket" is so difficult for a dwarf to get, anyway? I agree with the other posters, you should be able to either choose irrigation in the farm plot menu, or just designate a tile as a pond.

Though as far as I understand, you're not meant to have to irrigate outdoor tiles anyhow.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:27:08 am »

Like the irrigate menu option, but if it is only for already-built farm plots, then it won't help with muddying rock in order to lay down a farm plot. Can't build a farm plot on un-muddied rock. Maybe it could be in the zones menu as an irrigation zone.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:20:36 am »

If farms could be muddied by hand, obviously there'd be no more need to require mud before a plot can be placed. Activity zones would be a waste of time unless the farm itself is one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:19 am »

Now that I think about it, it's pretty bizarre that you can get the dwarves to automatically do crap like fertilizing but you have to jump through hoops just to make them pour water on the thing.

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:55:18 am »

I agree. Occam's Razor says that the simplest solution is best - That being allowing muddying of the ground by the dwarves directly.

Pete³

• Bay Watcher
  • Mentlegen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:05:10 am »

Agreed. In my current fort I had pools one level above a brook, so I tapped and drained them into the surrounding sandy area where I had dug out a farming room. Buckets & water would be less dwarven, but way more intuitive.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:17:28 pm »

Allows for irrigation as well. We could use scripts or equivalent before that requirement though, many would rather use pump systems and unless winter becomes unsuited for farming again, harvesters would likely drown when your waterlogic machines kick in.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:20:35 pm by Pilsu »

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:41:45 pm »

Or simply allow water channels to irrigate any soil tiles that they are touching, so if you were to something like this. (= being a channel water'd area, while + is an irragted soil tile that can be farmed on) This view is from the top of a level not from the side of course.

++++++++++++++++
===============+
++++++++++++++++
===============+
++++++++++++++++
===============+
++++++++++++++++

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:28 pm »

Thing is with the above design, you can no longer have 5x5 plots of farms, just 2xX.
Just go with the watering can.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »

Both the buckets and the channels are great ideas.  Linking wells to channels or something could be useful perhaps.
I tried the new game for a bit and the first thing I did was spend 30 mins attempting to get dwarves to water an underground patch with buckets.  Now I know I couldn't  :/
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »

I think farming is too easy and productive. It was better when you had to engineer an irrigation system that you had to turn on every year. Food is more fun when it's something to really worry about. Dwarves praying for the Elf caravan... now that's dwarfy. Humiliating, but dwarfy.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Fish of Muu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 11:48:23 pm »

I agree. Occam's Razor says that the simplest solution is best - That being allowing muddying of the ground by the dwarves directly.
That's not Occam's Razor. Look it up.

What I do is dig up to the river, place a floodgate, channel the tile between the floodgate and the river, then flip the switch. Once my 15x10 (5x5 * 6) room is about 1/2 full, I flip the switch back off. Presto.

But, yes, dwarves should be able to use buckets (even though I'd still use this method, most likely).
Pages: [1] 2