Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Embark builds?

(1/2) > >>

DwarfMan69:
Yeah, we don't really have unlimited points for skills and items now that anvils only cost 100 dwarfbucks. Anybody have a good build, I really have no idea how to make the best embark party in 0.31.02

Cerion:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53614.0

DwarfMan69:

--- Quote from: Cerion on April 11, 2010, 05:30:56 pm ---http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53614.0

--- End quote ---

Didn't see that, but it looks like the topic is about sites, not items/skills used.

Urist Imiknorris:
Then keep reading.

Squirrelloid:
So, starting with an anvil is a great way to gain points - just don't start with axes and picks.  2x copper + 2x tin + anvil + charcoal + 5 bituminous coal is less than 2 axes + 2 picks.  (You could start without hte charcoal and make a wood burning stove to make charcoal, but the savings is marginal relative to the tempo hit).  I also tend to ditch the splints and crutches, and if i'm keeping any thread/cloth i switch to silk since its cheaper than pig tail now.

You can alternately woodcut with practice axes, so if that doesn't feel like cheating to you then you can make your axes out of your wagon with carpentry (!!!)

IIRC, 7 fully skilled dwarves + anvil + 3xtin/copper pairs + 5 bit. coal + 1 charcoal + 6 random stone (initial workshops) leaves you enough for 84 booze (21 each) + enough food to last until you get farming (assuming any water on your map) + a breeding pair of, say, cows.  If you don't want the cows, you can buy a lot more.

I start by making 2x smelters, a forge, a kitchen, and a still immediately with 5/6 random stone.  1st smelter starts turning coal into coke, 2nd smelter starts making bronze as soon as there's enough coke.  forge makes picks and possibly axes.  I don't start with skilled furnace operators, and I still tend to have a pick before day 5.  Not necessarily recommended if you expect hostiles on the map when you arrive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version