Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wooden walls  (Read 1748 times)

Alkaios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wooden walls
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:10:34 pm »

So, I just embarked on a heavily forested,  hilly map with a very large river flowing through the middle, forking halfway through, and leaving a small water-surrounded hill on the right side of the map, inside of the fork. My goal this time is to make a massive above ground fort on the hill, only digging underground for storage, farming, and exploratory iron mining. I assume there is a very large aquifer with all the dirt there and such a large river. i bought a large amount of stone on embark for the buildings that i figured would need a little bit of stone,and now that start to set up base, I find that walls cannot be constructed out of wood. Choosing this embark location, I was relying entirely on wood for my walls and floors.

Is there something simple in the construction process that I am missing?Are you supposed to be able to make walls and floors out of wood? If not, What would I mod to enable this?

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wooden walls
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »

You should be able to build walls out of wood - just select the logs on the construction menu... You could try making wooden blocks, see if they show up?

Which version are you playing? 40d or the new one?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:17:18 pm »

try saving and quitting, then restarting
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Alkaios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:21:17 pm »

I had logs lying right next to the job site and it only said my shale and granite on the build material list, but now that I chopped more it says the logs too. I guess that it only counts materials that you have enough of on the build list.

problem solved.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:00 pm »

It's probably a pathfinding bug, and the game couldn't work out how to get the logs from where they were to where you wanted the wall built.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:49:44 pm »

I guess that it only counts materials that you have enough of on the build list.

this isn't the case. try not to make assumptions in DF, it'll only trip you up down the line. you can build a wood wall with only 1 log. the problem was likely either related to a pathfinding bug (if you're playing the new version (31.01/31.02) occasionally they'll forget how to get around for a few seconds and later fix themselves), or the logs were already marked for another task (such as being hauled to a stockpile)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »

make sure they aren't tasked for anything like carpenter's workshops or for floors (you can build wood floors, right?)
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 05:33:25 pm »

I guess that it only counts materials that you have enough of on the build list.

this isn't the case. try not to make assumptions in DF, it'll only trip you up down the line. you can build a wood wall with only 1 log. the problem was likely either related to a pathfinding bug (if you're playing the new version (31.01/31.02) occasionally they'll forget how to get around for a few seconds and later fix themselves), or the logs were already marked for another task (such as being hauled to a stockpile)

I hate bursting long winded answers, but I'm almost certain this is a new feature. I don't remember what thread I read it in, but if you, say, build a 9 tile long wall and only have 5 oak logs those logs won't show up on the build screen.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 05:42:03 pm »

I hate bursting long winded answers, but I'm almost certain this is a new feature. I don't remember what thread I read it in, but if you, say, build a 9 tile long wall and only have 5 oak logs those logs won't show up on the build screen.

Um, no. If I'm setting up a 9 tile long wall, the list will show all materials if I had only 4 wood and 5 stone. I could build that wall with no trouble, assuming pathfinding was not an issue.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »

But since you have to pick the material for each wall one-by-one, 5 of those tiles could be made of oak logs...

All of the reasons in the answer you have 'burst' are possible explanations, so whether or not this 'new feature' exists doesn't make them any less likely.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »

Naw, I've built plenty of wall sections using one log of this and two of that and a couple of wooden blocks by accident etc.

Never mind that your "new feature" would completely break the nice bulk construction order feature that lets people make buildings without going insane. When do you ever have 21+ of the same kind of wood?

It's a pathfinding bug, the dwarves can't connect the place where the logs are to the place where the work order is - they're pretty much consistent in all the games I've played - sometimes they go away on their own when you go do something else for a while, sometimes a zone is inaccessible pretty much permanently and even saving/reloading doesn't reliably fix it.

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:11 pm »

If you're trying to build a wall with more materials than you have IE: making a 9 block long wall all at once with only four possible materials, it'll say you can't build it and won't show up as green when trying to place the thing.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:20 pm »

Try building a door, then lock and unlock it. That should make the game recalculate pathfinding, and atleast temporarily fix the issue - repeat later as necessary, which door or where doesn't matter in the least.

If it is the pathfinding bug, that is.

Some Internet Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44:31 pm »

Try building a door, then lock and unlock it. That should make the game recalculate pathfinding, and atleast temporarily fix the issue - repeat later as necessary, which door or where doesn't matter in the least.

If it is the pathfinding bug, that is.

This works maybe half the time. I've had plenty of occasions where I could trace out an arbitrary 3x3 or 4x4 square of hallway that just couldn't be built on or walked through, identical in every other way to every other square of the hallway. Often as not restarting the game clears it up but its all pretty hit-or-miss.

Maybe where the door is makes a difference, I don't know. It's worth taking into consideration that shit just breaks when designing spaces, though, and keep backup saves - I made clearances in a constructed building too tight this afternoon and got a tantrum spiral when six dwarves and most of the local dog population decided to huddle in a random corner, refuse to leave for over a month, and die of dehydration. Once a couple of 'em were dead the rest suddenly felt inspired to get up and go get a beer.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 01:36:15 am »

this isn't the case. try not to make assumptions in DF, it'll only trip you up down the line. ;)