Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealing with funked up pathfinding  (Read 1513 times)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dealing with funked up pathfinding
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:01:12 pm »

How do you all do it??
Whatever I am doing it messes everything up. I usually wind up building on a aquifer scary level (non-undead) I usually wind up stuck above an aquifer (it does not matter if I encounter an aquifer, I still encounter the same pathfidnig bugs) and am forced to dig out a couple of non-stone levels before engineering a drop since freezing does not seem viable anyomre to pass the aquifers - but even before all of the aquifers, all pathfinding is destroyed.  _ before this I usually have a 3 wide ramped path going down 3 - 5 levels before expanding into rooms and long hallways and the stupid dwarves can not find anything even when messing with all types of warrens and none -

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with funked up pathfinding
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:07:47 pm »

huh. i've heard about the deadly pathfinding alot but still have yet to encounter any problems. have you tried just saving and reloading, that's fixed it in most cases i've read about.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:24:26 pm »

I believe there is something which [l]ocking a door, esc, and then un[l]locking it.  I haven't had any serious problems, but whenever a dwarf isn't doing what they are supposed to for no reason, this gets them going.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »

I have issues sometimes when I've just built a door or a wall or a workshop.

Restarting has never not worked for me though.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:15 pm »

I believe there is something which [l]ocking a door, esc, and then un[l]locking it.  I haven't had any serious problems, but whenever a dwarf isn't doing what they are supposed to for no reason, this gets them going.

Just toggling lock on and off once always solves all non-legit pathfinding problems for me, regardless of the door's location. I've read that it supposedly forces the game to recalculate pathfinding.

Psithief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:44 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=18#c2907

Locking doors is a brute force method. Toady says that it would murderise the game's framerate (paraphrasing).

Guess what! Fixed in the new version! http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php?version_id=4
"- 0000018: [Pathfinding] Pathfinding fails to update after map changes (Toady One) - resolved."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:41:00 am »

You don't lock the door and leave it locked, you lock it and then unlock it, and it causes a pathfinding paths reconstruction or the like. What new version? I just checked before coming to the forums, we're still on 0.31.02. *looks at bug tracker* Ah. You meant *next* version.

I deal with the pathfinding glitches by (a) not building ramps, and (b) destroying any ramps that are automatically created for me, and (c) if something glitches up because of some other reason (something being sealed off, for instance), I lock and unlock a door to reset the calculated paths.

Every time I've built ramps or made a channel which created them, they've just gone and completely screwed up the pathfinding repeatedly, despite my resetting it, until I got rid of them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:44:44 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive