Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How are you dealing with combat?  (Read 6701 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How are you dealing with combat?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 12:57:58 am »

Oh, my kill orders work fine on mountain goats, wolves, hoary marmots, etc. Just not on titans. Same squad and everything. They ... what the HELL!

So I was just having them kill a hoary marmot, and one of my dwarves had got it in his head to use two training swords (WTF) instead of the artifact frakking steel mace that he was assigned to use, and as soon as he had beaten the marmot into the yellow range with blue internal organs with the training swords, and it started flitting between unconscious, stunned, faint, and other such states, all the other dwarves in the squad just froze in place and STOOD THERE, even the ones who were only 3 squares away...

Which is exactly what they were all doing when I had ordered them to kill the titans (who were similarly wounded due to wrestling with civilians and fighting dogs, at the time I had given the titan kill orders).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 01:14:57 am »

So I was just having them kill a hoary marmot, and one of my dwarves had got it in his head to use two training swords (WTF) instead of the artifact frakking steel mace that he was assigned to use...

I see this a bit - assign a steel battleaxe, guy's running around with 5 in his right hand, along with three training axes. And attacking things with one of the training axes.

Still murdered them, I guess naked steel weapons are too merciful for his taste. Goblins are lucky he doesn't have access to any spoons.

...and as soon as he had beaten the marmot into the yellow range with blue internal organs with the training swords, and it started flitting between unconscious, stunned, faint, and other such states, all the other dwarves in the squad just froze in place and STOOD THERE, even the ones who were only 3 squares away...

Which is exactly what they were all doing when I had ordered them to kill the titans (who were similarly wounded due to wrestling with civilians and fighting dogs, at the time I had given the titan kill orders).

Maybe it has something to do with them thinking unconscious = not hostile or something? I know I read something about this befor, but it might have just been speculation. Sorry.

My own problem is marksdwarves not carrying any bolts. They're allocated, in stock, have quivers, and I looked inside the quivers, too. I'm stumped.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 02:43:33 am »

I just had another titan arrive - a giant slug with two wings and only one other body part, and they wouldn't obey a kill order despite the titan being at full health. Even if they're thinking badly wounded critters are ignorable and freezing up because of that, something's got to be wrong with titans too. Once again they only went after him when I gave them a move order which sent them near him.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 [3]