Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my military is retarded  (Read 1426 times)

redmage17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
my military is retarded
« on: April 11, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »

I ordered the little bastards to kill some goblins in the fort but they sit around the wagon wasting booze and time what am I doing wrong?

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: my military is retarded
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:23:08 pm »

redmage17

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:37:05 pm »

I read it and got now they are just stand around the goblin doing...nothing

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:33:31 pm »

I read it and got now they are just stand around the goblin doing...nothing

Are the goblins not attacking them? They won't engage friendly people unless you give them the kill order.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:33:23 am »

I've used Kill orders on titans before and had my squad show as having the Kill order, but completely ignore the order and stand around doing nothing instead of obeying it, so it may be that they're just being Urist McIdiots.

I had to issue a move command to get them near the titan instead, at which point they attacked it. (Both times a titan "visited" my fort the dwarves were too scared to obey a kill command which was targetted at it, and the dwarves which were on "defend fortress" duty while the titans were inside the squad's currently assigned (via the military screen) burrow also didn't seek out and kill it while "defending" either (They stood around elsewhere in the burrow).)

So I'd say there's a couple more bugs which aren't listed on that military wiki page.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:37:50 am »

Yes kill order is not really reliable.
I had a military of 3 squads with 8 dwarves each and gave a kill order for a forgotten beast (a gigantic hairy ant.. ewwww) that attacked my fortress.
They were training at the time in my barracks, and once the kill order was activated their jobs changed to that...but they just stood around in the barracks
doing nothing.

So for now I've given up on kill orders and am using patrols to get them to kill things, because they always seem to follow patrol orders just fine.
It's more work but at least I can get more than 1 or 2 guys to attack an enemy.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:42:32 am »

When I told them to attack the two naked, unarmed goblins I "found", and the berserking (member of their squad!!!) who failed a mood, they did fine...  But I guess those guys were easy. 

They were armed with training swords all three times.  (Well, more, on the goblins, who I had to let go a couple times so my inquisitors...  er, militia in trianing wouldn't starve to death).  The combat logs are pretty fun.  A cat got stuck in with them and the Baby Snatcher.  It punched the cat, doing absolutely no damage.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:51:57 am »

Am i the only one that misses being able to just draft a Dwarf and station him somewhere? My current fort's getting harrased by flocks of Buzzards, and the only time one of the friggin birds dies, is if either one of my animals get to one, of if one decides to attack a Dwarf. Both of which are rare. I gotta go through like 10 screens, just so i can put someone where i want them.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.