Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does Pitting Even Work Anymore?  (Read 1655 times)

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does Pitting Even Work Anymore?
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:17:45 pm »

Every time I try to throw a dangerous creature into a pit, it scares the pitter (and bites or stabs him) and gets away.  I remember this happening occasionally, but I used to have a great time throwing goblins and naked mole rats into pits--now I just feel like it's a great way to test the new medical features.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Does Pitting Even Work Anymore?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:41:26 pm »

I assume you're building the cages right on the edge of the pit?  This always happened if you were making the dwarves drag dangerous creatures a distance to the pit.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:45:37 pm »

Yeah, right next to the pit.  I installed the cages on top, on the right, left, bottom, made sure the pit was really big or very small--nothing seems to keep the angry gorillas and goblins and jaguars from beating up the idiot tasked to pit them.  I seem to be able to pit raccoons, at least...
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:45:50 pm »

I found I could easily pit goblins, but things like crundles(sp?) always got away

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:40 pm »

Only thing I can think to suggest is a lever-operated cage in an enclosure next to the pit, with a retracting bridge over it. Getting them to move off the safe cage tile might be tricky, however.

You might also try lever-cage -> pressure plate -> long retracting bridge -> cage trap(for safety/reuse if it doesn't work), with an open end to bait them over the pit, specifics depending on bridge response time VS critter run speed.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:05:22 pm »

Sure, I can just use levers.  But shouldn't pitting, well, you know, work?  Or, at least, if it doesn't anymore, shouldn't it be acknowledged?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 11:37:49 pm »

The problems with pitting existed in 40d.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:46:17 pm »

Not in my experience.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:56:25 pm »

I've never been able to pit wild animals without dwarves freaking out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 12:09:07 am »

Hah, you think pitting bad, try chaining.  I spent maybe two hours getting a single naked mole female chained up.  I did make some discoveries though, the biggest is that you can pit/chain stunned or unconcious animals.  Given how military works now, if you have a lot of spare captives, you can put down 30 stone traps/weapon traps filled with warhammers in the hallway by your pit/chain.  You could also try handing your animal caretaker a big old warhammer too.  I'm going to be testing these plans out tomorrow with my first large scale untamed draltha farm.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:24 am »

From what I've read, you're both right - pitting dangerous critters in previous versions seems very hit-or-miss, with some people consistently lucky or unlucky(funny how that happens). Either way, straight pitting seems something best done surrounded by cage traps and/or with soldiers at hand.

Or even by a fully armed and armoured soldier.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 03:13:38 am »

I always just build a prison room for everything in a cage, only letting in my armed and customised Jailor and locking the door behind him.
So if they escape, they're stuck in a room with an armed guy, and if they get through the door they're stuck in a guarded +/trapped corridor.